Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sharkman

Does anyone have a post and two screws for sale

sharkman

Could anyone possible help me date the 49 I have.  Sorry no pics at the moment.  Key notes: non-handle has scene with 4 fishing boats, marking No 49, brown plastic spool, and green wooden handle (almost looks like stain but thicker).

Bill B

Are there part numbers on the exposed parts?  If there are, this would date it to after WW II.....I do not have my Penn Chronology book with me to date a plastic spool....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sharkman

Could see any on the handle and star.  The base is blank.

sharkman

Also from looking at pictures on internet another odd feature is the clicker. It is not waffle and not the typical hersey kiss style but has six sided base with hersey drop on top

Newell Nut

What was the intended fishing purpose or technique that caused the two lever design on these 49s?

Dwight

RowdyW

I think it was to reel backwards to let live bait drag out line. (& to bust knuckles on a hard hit) ;D

Bill B

To expand on Rudy's comments, it seems the 49 was a bridge between the old knuckle busters and new style disengaging pinion....many used to count the number of handle turn to achieve a certain depth...the model 149 came in both knuckle buster and disengaging pinion style, which is an older model than the 49..I may have this backwards but I believe the 49 was introduced as the Deep Sea and later renamed Super Mariner..the Master Mariner 349 the last of the narrow series came in two styles, single lever disengaging pinion and the two lever knuckle buster/ disengaging pinion.  Of course this is just off the top of my head, and will need to consult Mike's book this afternoon for spot on details.

The clicker sounds like a curious sample and I would love to see a picture of it.....just a wild guess it's an aftermarket or field repair.....Bill

sharkman

Unfortunately I don't have my phone with me to take pictures, but I did find some of the feature mention on the internet.  The first pic is the clicker. Second picture is handle shape. Third pic is handle color. Last pic is the side plate design.

sharkman

Oh forgot the spool.

Superhook

sharkman

So finally got pics of the reel

Bill B

As SuperHook stated you have a very early 49....no part numbers, plastic spool....but the first year 39 did not have a rod clamp provision.....this is a really cool early version...thanks for sharing......bill

Penn Chronology

Sharkman,

That is a very interesting 49. I would say it is a 1941 reel because of the hex clicker button and the rod clamp stand. 1941 was the first year a drilled stand was used on the 49 and the clicker screams those early 1940's pre-war years. The hex clicker button is mostly seen on the Penn Sea Gate, so it unusual to see it on a Penn 49; but, it is just a clicker button and can be installed on any reel. I would think this is a very interesting find. I suspect the spool may be incorrect. It should be a black plastic spool; but, being that the hex button in on this reel, someone may have ordered a small group of reels built this way just to have them different looking. Back in those years, Penn was doing special orders.

Mike C.