49, 49A, 49L, 49-LH, 49L-LH Super Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

The interesting thing about this reel is basically it was retired due to broken eccentric spring. It must have been retired early in its career because the guts are immaculate. Mike C this reel actually came in the same box as the 149 I sold you.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe interesting thing about this reel is basically it was retired due to broken eccentric spring. It must have been retired early in its career because the guts are immaculate. Mike C this reel actually came in the same box as the 149 I sold you.

That must have been a very old box. ;D

broadway

Any Chance you can post a photo of the box? That reddish spool (I believe) is correct for the 49... 2 or 3 of my oldest versions have the red spools. The hex clicker can be found on many reels.   I have a Long Beach 68 with one, a delmar 285, and a sea gate all with the hex clickers. I believe your reel to be '39-'41 but mike and Ray know way more than I. Just my personal experience.
If you collect or want to collect reels that one is a good start. I just picked up a 149 with one red plate that I've never seen before. I know some come with colored spools but never saw a 149 with one.
Happy hunting,
Dom

sharkman

Dom unfortunately no box.  The individual I obtained from bought out a very long standing bait and tackle shop and is rumored to have 5-6 5 gallon buckets full of penns.  He is gradually selling the little box at a time.  The first box contained this reel and a 149 that I sold to Mike C. I can't wait to see the next box.

Maxed Out

Quote from: broadway on October 07, 2016, 10:13:12 AM
Any Chance you can post a photo of the box? That reddish spool (I believe) is correct for the 49... 2 or 3 of my oldest versions have the red spools. The hex clicker can be found on many reels.   I have a Long Beach 68 with one, a delmar 285, and a sea gate all with the hex clickers. I believe your reel to be '39-'41 but mike and Ray know way more than I. Just my personal experience.
If you collect or want to collect reels that one is a good start. I just picked up a 149 with one red plate that I've never seen before. I know some come with colored spools but never saw a 149 with one.
Happy hunting,
Dom

Say What ?? We demand pictures right now. No such thing as a red sideplate on a 149. Pics or it never happened !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mizmo67

Maybe someone put a 349 style plate on a 149?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Maxed Out

Quote from: mizmo67 on October 07, 2016, 07:23:44 PM

That was my thought Mo, but I saw it for my own eyes on eBay  :o, and it is a 149 tailplate.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Penn Chronology

When speaking about Penn reels, NEVER say NEVER!!!

UKChris

I'm no expert but looking at my 349 and 49, the holes are all in the wrong places for the reel foot and bars screws.

Tightlines667

That was quire the find Dom!

I have never seen that before.

This is part of what makes collecting Penn reels so rewarding. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Quote from: mizmo67 on October 07, 2016, 07:23:44 PM

Wrong stand screw configuration, the 149/49 has 4 screws, the 349 has 6.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

I've always liked these reels...the dual eccentric levers just look cool. Since I'll prolly never fish the thing, I saved a few bucks by getting one with a plastic spool. Once again, it looks cool too! As can be seen in the first two pics, the eBay seller did the usual great job of masking the worst corrosion. Even so, I knew those posts were gonna be crusty, and they sure are. The third photo takes a better look at those posts. I was curious to see if I could gussy them up...so I pulled that front bottom one off and gave it the business. Now it shines like a pimp's hubcap! :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

It's an art to determine the difference between dirt and corrosion from a photo. Maybe Ted could give us some instruction.... he seems to have it figured out pretty well. You didn't have to worry about the condition of the spool on this one - that adds another degree of difficulty, especially when there is line on it.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

I tore down my 49 for a makeover and once again found a strange drag stack. This time it was a red fiber disc first followed by two leather discs. Also the top metal washer was thicker than the other two metals. I referenced Penn's drag info and sure as the sun shines, this is the correct original arrangement. I kinda wish I had those original components(NOS pieces)...it would be cool to restore this reel to complete original specs.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~