49, 49A, 49L, 49-LH, 49L-LH Super Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC49

FLNJBUM

Anyone have a stand or know where I can obtain one? Restoring a 49L and the stand is bent. Also need handle side outer ring. Having a tough time sourcing these.
I can explain it to you,  but i cant understand it for you

Hardy Boy

I answered you other thread. shoot me a PM.

Todd
Todd

Bill B

Too tired to limb back to the shop to see if I have the ring, but I do have the seat.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

I have a stand and a ring.  Pm your address and I can put them in the mail. 
Maybe I'm dreaming but didn't that reel also come with a fresh water stand at one point?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cuttyhunker

Swami, I've seen the fresh stand on the smaller stuff like the 9 but never the 49, but like Mike C. says.............
Doomed from childhood

Shellbelly

I've never seen an X49 deep sea reel that had an "F" designation in their #30 descriptions or box labels. I took a quick look through some catalogs and didn't see a 30-49F for any model or a footnote about making a choice when ordering.

I didn't check 249, but probably no "F" there either.

Many folks took a file, hammer, drill etc. to reel stands and made 'em work.

That doesn't remove all possibilities, though.  Swing back the curtain a little more and look at the trade reels.  I don't think there were more than a couple.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Bill B

Harry, the reel seat went out today, should at your door step by Wednesday.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

FLNJBUM

Quote from: Bill B on August 19, 2022, 09:41:17 PMHarry, the reel seat went out today, should at your door step by Wednesday.  Bill
Thanks,Bill.i wound up ordering the ring from Mystic. They still had it in stock.here she is on her way back from garage oblivion20220820_145757.jpg
I can explain it to you,  but i cant understand it for you

Shellbelly

I was going through this thread looking at (LEARNING) the variants of the 49 and didn't see a photo of a complete breakdown.  Hopefully, this one might help.  It's probably mentioned, but remembering the orientation of the eccentrics and their springs is important.  Pictures or another reel will help. 

These tall narrow reels seem to capture quite a few collectors.  As for restoration, the early 24-49 handles can be elusive in good condition and NOS vented spools are mostly hoarded away.  Most other standard parts are still available and reasonable.

If you're new to collecting this class of reels, this thread will educate you.  I know I appreciate it!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Gfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 19, 2020, 08:26:01 PMCouple months back a nice pre war 49 came my way. This one appears to be 1941/42 time frame. I see a lot of early 49's on eBay, but most show fair amounts of use. A few things I look for besides no part #'s and coin edge CB, is how original are all the components. Does the patina match up. Everything on this reel checked out 2 thumbs up. I doubt this 49 ever saw saltwater. Notice the rivets for the counterbalance and the knob are both like new. These rivets are the first areas prone to corrosion. Also the click button, and the gear sleeve collar.  These are a non replaceable parts,  unless the whole sideplate is replaced. Knowing what to look for will keep you from getting stung on a used Penn reel purchase

Can't believe I missed this. Some special detailed tips from a "great find" master. Thanks Ted.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!