49, 49A, 49L, 49-LH, 49L-LH Super Mariner

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Crow on November 04, 2017, 12:44:26 PM
    I tore one down that had been "repaired"........but didn't hold. I also tore down one that was all wobbled out...and no repair had been attempted. I think , once the post has loosened in the hole, you're pretty much out of luck. When I removed a "stock" post from a 49 bridge (for a "beef - up" project, I found that the post was a very tight , press-fit, into the hole, and then peened on the end. I think once the "press fit" is wobbled out, it would be impossible to hold the post secure with peening, soldering, or anything else.

Yep!, I've been there a few time before, one of the reason I decided to install the 3-349 on that reel.
Once the post is loose, I don't waste my time on it anymore, just like a warped spool.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

I figured it was a cheesy repair, it feels ok but I don't trust it,I'll have to get another bridge. It has a metal spool with a large diameter arbor with diamond shaped holes it in. I believe it's for wire line. Anyway thanks for the replys, Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

I have successfuly tightened loose gearsleeve posts by using low temp silver soulder. Only  hard to find bridges make this worth the effort and Sal sent me a care package a few years ago with NOS 349 bridges and gearsleeves.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

If you need to purchase a spool for a 49 you may have to replace the pinion also. The older spools had a different spool shaft.

Mike

Maxed Out

....according to catalogs, 1950 was 1st year Penn offered a metal spool for the 49 & 149 (same spool fits both reels)

For a short time in early 50's it was a vented spool, then it was switched to the familiar spool with Large cast arbor.

The 49 in front is the one that puzzles me. According to all catalogs it should not exist. It's an old school 3 piece spool with standard small arbor. Penn bragged about "large oversize arbor" on 49 & 149. Yet here is tiny arbor spool that is width of a 1/0 and a 1/0 size arbor

Perhaps someone can clarify things a bit, cause I'm clueless on this 49 spool(approx 1954-55)...it also has no part#
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

hmmm I have one. i will check when I get home

Maxed Out

Here is a mid 50's #49 spool with the large cast arbor, and on the left is the #49 spool made as a 3 piece chrome spool with regular small arbor

Maxed Out

...and as I compare the inner side of the flanges I see there is substantial amount of backing added to the backside of the flanges on the small arbor spool.

The reel came in a box w/catalog that represents the same time frame as the intro of 130 sailfisher that had a 3 piece spool only for its 1st year.

I do not believe this spool ever went into production simply because these reels were always advertised as large arbor wire line reels. It is more likely one of a few prototypes made.

Tightlines667

That is interesting.  Likely a prototype, or produced in low numbers.  I have never seen one.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

I agree .... never saw one and I believe it is also a prototype.  Penn could've been thinking of going to that different arbor to fit more line on the reel as it is considerably smaller... likely a prototype between the standard 3 piece spool and the one piece spool, but they went straight to the one piece.  Just a fairly educated guess.
Nice find "Hawk Eye"
Dom

Deepennz

Hi Ted,

If you look inside the diamonds of the spool of the #49's with that modification for wire line trolling, early 50's, it seems those spools have the straight spindle as per your photo above. They would also seem to need reinforcing to handle the 'diamond collar'.
Perhaps this is one of those spools that escaped the factory without it's identification collar!!

Cheers
Martin

Maxed Out

Quote from: Deepennz on January 10, 2018, 08:59:56 PM
Hi Ted,

If you look inside the diamonds of the spool of the #49's with that modification for wire line trolling, early 50's, it seems those spools have the straight spindle as per your photo above. They would also seem to need reinforcing to handle the 'diamond collar'.
Perhaps this is one of those spools that escaped the factory without it's identification collar!!

Cheers
Martin

Never knew that Martin, very cool info....and I think you may be right about one slipping out of the factory. I tried to get more info from the seller, but it turns out this reel was donated to a church and they knew nothing about the donor

This particular small arbor 3 piece spool has line tie post which means it was intended to be this way.

Ted

sharkman

Something keeps drawing me to this reel. Sold it and bought it back. There is no numbers on parts. The handle and clicker look different. It has chrome spool with diamond holes in it but if I remember correctly changed this out because was thinking about fishing. I have plastic spool which is spoiled with Dacron. Is the reel a shelfie or fish it

xjchad

Looks like a really early model.  Sure is pretty!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

sharkman

Thanks xjchad. This is where I want to put the spool you sent. I have another that I am building.