61-62-63 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Bravo...looks great Mike. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhy not just use the "additional options" feature? You'll be posting pics directly from your 'puter's files...no host needed!

Thank you Mo.................!!! That is just what I wanted. I was not aware of that feature. Spend most of my life not looking too far past the end of my nose........................<:O(

And Daron, Thank you very much for bringing back some of my photos. I can do a Wing Repair on a F4--Phantom, but, this computer stuff throws me.

broadway

Hell of a package, Mike!  100 yd Newport in the box with the catalog! Good luck finding another one of those...and in that condition none the less.
A true beauty and is actually making me drool, is that normal?
Thanks for showing,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 18, 2017, 02:03:45 PM
QuoteWhy not just use the "additional options" feature? You'll be posting pics directly from your 'puter's files...no host needed!

Thank you Mo.................!!! That is just what I wanted. I was not aware of that feature. Spend most of my life not looking too far past the end of my nose........................<:O(

And Daron, Thank you very much for bringing back some of my photos. I can do a Wing Repair on a F4--Phantom, but, this computer stuff throws me.

No Problem Mike.
I have all of them fixed now on this thread with no plug ins needed. ;)
Yours and all others.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteNo Problem Mike.
I have all of them fixed now on this thread with no plug ins needed. Wink
Yours and all others.

Daron, you are the BEST!

Penn Chronology

QuoteHell of a package, Mike!  100 yd Newport in the box with the catalog! Good luck finding another one of those...and in that condition none the less.
A true beauty and is actually making me drool, is that normal?
Thanks for showing,
Dom

I wondered if anyone would notice this package and yes, drooling is acceptable in this case. This is not mine, I am happy to have a photo of it. One of the most rare packages in Penn collecting and the catalog is wrong but the reel and box are correct. The only documentation of a 100 yard Newport is in the second edition of the 1937 catalog. So, according to the catalogs, the 100 yard Newport had about six months of catalog / production time. This particular package sort of suggests that the reel and box were around for longer than that; but, still very rare. This box, reel and catalog package is the only one I have ever seen.

I suspect most Penn collectors do not know how rare the 100 yard New Port is. I have seen two other 100 yard New Port models without boxes. They are out there somewhere :)

Oceanreels

Here are close up photos of that box and reel. As Mike said they are rare. The catalog that came with it is from 1935. The 100 yard Newport was only cataloged, as Mike said, for the second half of 1937. Was it around longer, who knows? The handle screw did not show up till 1936. We all know how rare 1937 paper is. Did Penn just put whatever paper they had with the reel? I have another 100 yard Newport that is a little different than this one, it has 100 YDS. on the foot, this one does not. It also has the lock screw for the handle screw.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere are close up photos of that box and reel. As Mike said they are rare. The catalog that came with it is from 1935. The 100 yard Newport was only cataloged, as Mike said, for the second half of 1937. Was it around longer, who knows? The handle screw did not show up till 1936. We all know how rare 1937 paper is. Did Penn just put whatever paper they had with the reel? I have another 100 yard Newport that is a little different than this one, it has 100 YDS. on the foot, this one does not. It also has the lock screw for the handle screw.

Hello Brian,

I kinda thought it was your reel. If we consider what it takes for Penn to make a 150 yard reel into a 100 yard reel, it is easy to understand why strict production numbers are mostly impossible to know. In 1935, Penn could have used the 100 yard Sea Ford spool, bars and stand to create a 100 yard New Port. The 100 yard New Port is one of those reels that could have been made for many years without catalog documentation. I feel your reel with the 1935 catalog is a true survivor, telling us that Penn simply created a model for the market without considering documenting it.

As a matter of fact, the true feeling of the owners of Penn that came down through the generations of the family is that the collectability of their products was the last thing in their mind. They were making tools to catch fish with, we, modern collectors, have turned their tools into collector items.......... :) The Penn family is seriously and pleasantly surprised that their products have a modern day interest to collectors.

George4741

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 18, 2017, 02:03:45 PM
I can do a Wing Repair on a F4--Phantom, but, this computer stuff throws me.

Hmmm....Mike, you brought back memories from my distant past.  Are/were you a 431 or worked at the Ogden Depot? 

And those Newports and boxes, very nice.  Thanks for the photos.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteI can do a Wing Repair on a F4--Phantom, but, this computer stuff throws me.

Hmmm....Mike, you brought back memories from my distant past.  Are/were you a 431 or worked at the Ogden Depot? 

No, I was a USAF Cold War Vet, stationed in Northern Germany during the Viet Nam War, a lucky GI. Was on a Army / Air Force base in the mountains. We had 110 bomb proof hangars spread all over the mountain. Each hangar had its own personal F4 in ready, ready to start up in the hangar and blast right out in case of Armageddon or WW III. Many were equipped with TV Bombs, could fly the bomb right into your window. Really High Tech for 1972, today they are museum pieces.....

milne

Hi Guys,
           Still cleaning up my King Fisher, BUT, next Cab off the ranks,
    Is this Long Beach, Has a blank tail plate,  But, a bold in Ya face red handle !!!!
It's not in to bad a condition, should clean up presentably with a bit of luck.
Just off my research, being a 150 yrder, that would place it between 35-40 ????? 
And this is pre Mike's book,    on a side note, may have latched on to one, cross fingers.
I Luv these reels !!!

Col

Maxed Out

Look in Mike's book....the long beach 61 & 62 are the small yardage versions like yours. Great find !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

milne

Thanks Ted,
               Yep, I'm going blind with these reels at the minute, the Book is proving illusive to find !!
       But I may now be on the trail of one.
      I can see how helpful the book will end up being.

Col

mo65

I love those smaller plate LBs...and that red pear shaped handle is not an every day item...bravo! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 27, 2018, 04:11:11 AM
Look in Mike's book....the long beach 61 & 62 are the small yardage versions like yours. Great find !!

Ted
Yes. The 60 was the 250-yd model, the 65 was the 300-yd model, which makes the 63 the 200-yard model, the 62 the 150-yd model and the 61 the 100-yd model if I'm not mistaken.

Col, you're killin' it!

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector