Show what you do for a living...

Started by Alto Mare, April 10, 2016, 03:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelrepair123

sal,   not only your a master of hot rodding penn reels, your a master at masonary and carpentry, truly a craftsman, fantastic.  oh, and a fantastic gentleman..     harryk

josa1

I'm 74 now, been retired for almost 15 years and I've enjoyed every minute of it, well mostly!

I'm an Air Force, just prior to Viet Nam vet, enjoyed my 4 years in the service and the things that service life and activities did to take a small town country boy out of the doldrums of southwest Missouri.  Volunteered for Laos duty in early 1962, while I was stationed in Seoul, Korea, but was not accepted due to "time remaining in service" issues.  Was discharged in 1963 after nearly 4 years and was still just 21 years old.

Migrated to Southern California in late 1963 and held a lot of different positions trying to get by.  Finally went to trade school and studied refrigeration and air conditioning.  Got a job with Trane Los Angeles, and worked there 32 years.  I held almost every position in the service department, from 1st level apprentice to Southern California Regional Commercial Service Manager.  I was service manager for the last 18 years of my employment.  What enjoyable positions I worked in.  I just had the greatest time.

Since retirement I've fished long range a couple of times a year and did a little local fishing.  I like to get on the water but I'm just not that interested in the local fisheries.

I got involved in fishing reel maintenance and repair because of my love for things mechanical.  I've enjoyed that a lot also.  I have a few posts on Alan's great site and am gratified to see that people seem to find them interesting.  Currently working on an AVET PRO EX80 tutorial I hope to have done soon.

Pictures of a Shimano Torium that I cleaned and repaired and now works like new.  Two nice wahoo to about 45 pounds on it last year.

I've had the best life imaginable and continue to enjoy it to this day.  Red Rooster III June Heat coming up and I couldn't be more excited.

josa1

David Hall

I spent most of my working life as a carpenter / Contractor building residential houses in the PNW and during the early 70's I spent a few years as a shipwright for Uniflite Boats, later I had my own cabinet shop and dabbled in custom casework I say dabbled because projects were few and far between in those days and while everyone wants class A work few were willing or able to pay for it.  I worked through the 80's and 90's as a general superintendent running projects in multiple cities at the same time for a few of the bigger contractors building restaurants, hospitals and schools throughout the Bay area.
In 1999 I made a change to open my own company DFH Inspections, We specialize in California public school building inspection, Now I just watch other people work and shuffle paperwork to and from the state of California to help keep the projects on the right path and out of trouble.  Structural safety, Fire Life Safety and access compliance are our areas of responsibility. 
Not glamorous in the least but it is fulfilling and personally rewarding and keeps me in the industry, and not to mention affords me more time for fishing and other hobbies than any other work I have ever done.

Alto Mare

Nice everyone, I'm glad I started this thread.

Dave, your buddy James has some serious talent, that stonework looks amazing...thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

theswimmer

This is a little sample of what we do,

https://www.facebook.com/Aust-Tile-Granite-342229347651/

Rocks, like Sal!

All 100% natural stone.....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

pjstevko

I'm one of those idiots in the yellow shirts you see on TV every summer trying to put out a big #### fire with a shovel.....or in my case a Type 3 500 gallon fire engine....

When I lived in Florida my fire engine was a swamp buggy....

josa1

I like the swamp buggy!!  There' got to be a market for that vehicle in So Cal  ;D

josa1

conchydong

Quote from: pjstevko on April 11, 2016, 10:17:21 PM
I'm one of those idiots in the yellow shirts you see on TV every summer trying to put out a big #### fire with a shovel.....or in my case a Type 3 500 gallon fire engine....

Don't call yourself an idiot. You have a very important and very dangerous job that not many would want to do. Sacrificing the comforts of a nice cozy bed for days or weeks at a time is honorable and you should be commended.
Be safe.

Alto Mare

Quote from: conchydong on April 12, 2016, 12:26:24 AM

Don't call yourself an idiot. You have a very important and very dangerous job that not many would want to do. Sacrificing the comforts of a nice cozy bed for days or weeks at a time is honorable and you should be commended.
Be safe.
I couldn't have said it better Scott...you are correct!...Be safe out there pjstevco and thanks for keeping us safe.
Quote from: theswimmer on April 11, 2016, 07:19:41 PM
This is a little sample of what we do,

https://www.facebook.com/Aust-Tile-Granite-342229347651/

Rocks, like Sal!

All 100% natural stone.....

Jonathan, you do some nice work. I have a few pics of some custom bars designed by me, using some large slabs, but I don't want to make this thread about me only.

Quote from: handi2 on April 11, 2016, 12:02:32 AM
I am a Mason too but not a stone mason..!!

Keith, if you can lay bricks, you shouldn't have a problem laying stones. All you need is a little practice.

I happen to do both, but I do not set bricks on sand they get set with mortar one by one on a concrete base reinforced with steel

This homeowner was having issues with the front walkway sinking. I went in and told him that mine wouldn't go anywhere, even if the dirt sunk.
This one was checked after 5 years, didn't drop a hair, but he did have to put some dirt back.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Sal, I think Keith meant the Society of Masons.

sharkman

I worked in textiles as a head mechanic for 16 yrs then NAFTA took it away. Now I fix people. I currently work for the Air Force. Serving the people who serve our great country.

theswimmer

Thanks Sal,
I really like that herringbone walk!
We are going to miss you on Sunday my friend.......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Quote from: HOLEINTHEWATER on April 11, 2016, 11:06:43 AM
Worked for Honeywell for 32 years. The last 15 I took care of all there production equipment. The last 13 years I have been working for AZBIL North America. I build and set up magnetic flow meters and pressure transmitters.
I have no artistic skills , but would like to share James's rock work. The one's that have been here for a while know the HOLEINTHEWATER crew. James and I have been friends scenes high school.  His health has gotten really bad, looks like no more fishing with the crew.

Very nice piece work!

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

As a mountain resident all I can say is
THANK YOU!
You make it possible to live where I live.

Errol Flynn

pjstevko

I really don't consider  myself an idiot.............but sometimes I'm not as smart as I think I am.....