Help with Penn 16vsx

Started by Settin_hooks, May 14, 2016, 02:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Settin_hooks

Hey guys just recently acquired some Penn 16 Vsx's and have been fishing them quite a bit, mostly trolling for Mahi.  I have a few questions and I knew this would be the place to ask.

1) My main concern is we have lost a big bull because one of the reels creeps past strike when pushed forward.  I'm assuming whatever holds the little plastic button "spring?" is worn?  Any ideas on this?

2)  Being that I've never serviced a conventional reel I'm thinking of sending at least this one out to be gone through.  Where should I send it off to?  I have looked through the tutorial that was posted on the service and I would like to give it a shot eventually since I have 4 of them but I'm not sure its a good idea?  Would I be better off servicing one of my AVETS first, I've read that they are pretty simple? 

3)  Because I'm fishing mostly for Dolphin and Wahoo trolling with 30 lb top shots @10lbs of drag at strike I feel like these reels are overkill.  Is there a way to lighten the drag curve similar to the 16vs model or should I just leave them alone and keep doing what I'm doing?  They work great and I'm really happy with the performance so far I just know they have a very steep drag curve!

The first time I brought them out to test them we boated 26 gaffer Dolphin between 10-30lbs with me and 2 other guys on the boat!  What a great day on the water and gave me a lot of confidence in these reels!

handi2

I've had to lighten the drag curve on a few Avets used here for Sailfish and King Mackerel. It takes careful filing and you can go to far quickly rendering the reel useless until you buy another cam. I don't know if Avet supplies a softer cam.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

conchydong

Cal Sheets works wonders with Penn Internationals. I would consider sending the reels to him to be blue printed for the line class you plan to fish on them.

SoCalAngler

With the 16VSX you may be able to just swap out the cam with a VS and be good to go. I have talked to Penn's techs before and their great help.

Avet makes a cam called the South Florida Cam that many people use for Kings, Sailfish and such. This cam has a much more gradual ramp up. I think their new cam has been out 8-9 years now and many people have used them and like the slower ramp for their type of fishing.

Edit: For the SX and MX line their called a Kodiak Cam

Settin_hooks

Thanks for the responses, I'm using my avets for bottom fishing.  I've heard about the south Florida cam for the avets but for what I'm using them for they are perfect!  I was more referring to learning how to service them first vs the vsx's because I've read they are easier?  

I was more concerned about the penns aggressive drag curve, they have been great so far so I'm not sure it's worth it to swap cams in them but was looking for your guys opinion on that more or less.   Mainly using them for dolphin/wahoo trolling with 30lb mono top shots.   Are these way overkill in your opinions for this purpose?

Also wondering about the strike button on the one reel not holding and going right past into max drag, easy enough fix?

Quote from: conchydong on May 14, 2016, 04:13:37 PM
Cal Sheets works wonders with Penn Internationals. I would consider sending the reels to him to be blue printed for the line class you plan to fish on them.

That's actually the name I was looking for Ive seen it mentioned around quite a bit.  Thanks!  

thorhammer

Don't know where you're fishing but I'd leave them alone. if 50lb plus hoo it will not be overkill, your 30 lb topshot will be underkill. depending on your locale a yellowfin may be a possibility also....

johndtuttle

Quote from: Settin_hooks on May 14, 2016, 02:30:24 PM
Hey guys just recently acquired some Penn 16 Vsx's and have been fishing them quite a bit, mostly trolling for Mahi.  I have a few questions and I knew this would be the place to ask.

1) My main concern is we have lost a big bull because one of the reels creeps past strike when pushed forward.  I'm assuming whatever holds the little plastic button "spring?" is worn?  Any ideas on this?

2)  Being that I've never serviced a conventional reel I'm thinking of sending at least this one out to be gone through.  Where should I send it off to?  I have looked through the tutorial that was posted on the service and I would like to give it a shot eventually since I have 4 of them but I'm not sure its a good idea?  Would I be better off servicing one of my AVETS first, I've read that they are pretty simple? 

3)  Because I'm fishing mostly for Dolphin and Wahoo trolling with 30 lb top shots @10lbs of drag at strike I feel like these reels are overkill.  Is there a way to lighten the drag curve similar to the 16vs model or should I just leave them alone and keep doing what I'm doing?  They work great and I'm really happy with the performance so far I just know they have a very steep drag curve!

The first time I brought them out to test them we boated 26 gaffer Dolphin between 10-30lbs with me and 2 other guys on the boat!  What a great day on the water and gave me a lot of confidence in these reels!

What I would do is Change out those 30# topshots for 100# as you are very likely to get picked up by YFT or Marlin eventually when trolling for Mahi. Even for Mahi it makes no sense to troll 30# line. They will bite 400# on a trolled lure. 30# is just a recipe for a lost fish and lure for no reason. Even at 10lbs of drag the shock of the fish hitting the lure will beat up lighter line very quickly leading to lost fish due to break offs. 10lbs is a lot of drag for 30# line and trolling. It is one thing for a fish to hit at that setting and another entirely to bump it up to that after the fish is hooked.

Trolling is what it is and it is not light line fishing. There is *always* the chance of getting hit by a UFO (unidentified fish object) and it will be gone quick on 30#. With heavy line you can easily bring whatever bites to the boat quickly and get his bros to play in your chum line. In any tropical waters you will test your trolling reels sooner or later. Put a topshot on there that gives you a chance.

For live baiting Mahi get some graphite star drag reels and have a gas. Inexpensive spinners are fine for tossing lures/bait too.

Penn 16 VSX is a very, very capable reel. Put some line on there that gives it a chance to flex it's muscle.

best

conchydong

The OP did not mention where he is fishing but in S. Florida 30lb is the norm for trolling for Dolphin, Blackfin Tuna, Sailfish, Kingfish and Wahoo. Some may go light as 20lb. Of course we use heavier leaders for abrasion, made of wire, mono or fluorocarbon. If you are "high speed" trolling for Wahoo, the main line will get bumped up to 50 or 80lb. We do not, as a rule, have large Tuna unless you run to the Bahamian side of the Gulfstream. The heavy line and drag settings really are not necessary where I live but if the OP lives in a area frequented by Yellowfin, than that is another story.

Settin_hooks

I'm in your waters conchydong, fishing the east coast of Florida.  I do plan on a few Bahama trips but I will most definitely switch out top shots when that trip comes!  What kind of trolling reels are you using for mahi?  I do have a couple tld30 2speeds with 50lb mono for trolling wahoo but I haven't had a chance to use them for that specific purpose, I do however run them off the flatlines in my spread.

Called up penn customer service today and was told the cam from the vs would not work.  He also said that the button needed to be lubed up, spring needed replacing or the lever is bent causing it to slip past.  I am going to take a closer look at it when I get some time.  Need that reel 100% before I go back out trolling!!

Thanks for all the suggestions!  Keep them coming, I am just trying to figure out what is best for me in my area.  Luckily I got the vsx's for a price I couldn't pass up so worst case is I downgrade a little.

SoCalAngler

Here on the west coast the VSX reels are used mostly for mid sized yf tuna on long range boats. From what I hear the VSX line was designed for our type of fishing where heavier drag is needed on long range boats because there is almost no chance of the boat following a fish as others most likely are hooked up also.

You never said which Avet reels you have but even the 30's and 50's are easier a little to service IMO than the Penn reels of the same size. In Baja I mainly fish a Avet JX 6/4 for your Mahi or our Darado but that is either fly-lining live bait or slow trolling them. For trolling lures we use bigger reels like 30 two speeds because we never know when we will be picked up by a marlin or sailfish and a quick release leads for a better survival rate of those fish. Your 16's should be fine for this as well as the TLD II's,

I have not caught any real big dorado yet but I'm sure my Avet JX 6/4 is up to the task as I have caught many sails and marlin with that reel.

Still waiting for that big one.

Edit Alto may like the first pic....Penn shirt

Jon the second....Seeker shirt

The last well??? Charkbait shirt   lol

SoCalAngler

Also I just saw something in the first pic which I forgot, can you guess what it is? And no it is not the Avet JX in the pic.

Wally15

Don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a couple of 16VSX's as well, and they do have a very aggressive drag curve. But my biggest complaint is the noisy clicking dogs. Any way to tone that down short of earplugs?
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Tightlines667

Quote from: Wally15 on May 18, 2016, 06:09:15 AM
Don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a couple of 16VSX's as well, and they do have a very aggressive drag curve. But my biggest complaint is the noisy clicking dogs. Any way to tone that down short of earplugs?
Mike

I like the loud dogs, but if you grease them a bit that may quiet them up a little. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Wally15 on May 18, 2016, 06:09:15 AM
Mike

I don't like loud dogs, except on Big Game reels. The VSX is a Big Game reel. Strong Springs on beefy dogs mean ultimate reliability...and noise. :)

Now, on a light tackle reel for casting all day I am all for quiet and smooth.

But not for serious biz with heavy drag. :D

conchydong

Quote from: Settin_hooks on May 18, 2016, 03:11:31 AM
I'm in your waters conchydong, fishing the east coast of Florida.  I do plan on a few Bahama trips but I will most definitely switch out top shots when that trip comes!  What kind of trolling reels are you using for mahi?  I do have a couple tld30 2speeds with 50lb mono for trolling wahoo but I haven't had a chance to use them for that specific purpose, I do however run them off the flatlines in my spread.

Settin_hooks, I primarly use my 25 year old Japanese made TLD 20 single speeds with 30lb mono and TLD 15's with 20lb most of the time. I also have braid backed TLD 30II's with 50 lb mono topshots for heavier stuff. For Wahoo trolling I prefer aluminum framed reels and have a TLD 50II with a Willfish frame, A Penn 50SW, and a Penn 50TW.

The VSX's you have would be great as is for Fishing the "corner", chunking and/or live baiting, for Yellowfin if you plan on making trips to the Bahamas. The money that would be spent blueprinting them to fish 30 could be used to buy a couple TLD's for the local stuff.
You can never have too many reels ;D.

PS Just saw this on the FL Sportsman forum. I am not the seller.
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?221738-For-Sale-TLD-20s-2-total-75ea