Penn ring and stand material

Started by gatekeeper, May 16, 2016, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatekeeper

Does anyone know what material the rings and stand, and I'm guessing the posts also, were made out of on the American made Senators? Are these chrome plated? I see the newer models, ending in "2" ,  show the rings and stand being made of stainless steel. Thanks

Superhook

handi2

Quote from: gatekeeper on May 16, 2016, 07:22:44 PM
Does anyone know what material the rings and stand, and I'm guessing the posts also, were made out of on the American made Senators? Are these chrome plated? I see the newer models, ending in "2" ,  show the rings and stand being made of stainless steel. Thanks

The ones in the China series reels will rust underneath. That's why we grease them before putting them on.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gatekeeper

Ok, will the stainless rings be more rigid and reduce flex?

gatekeeper

The reason I am asking is because i am looking to build two 9/0s, and was considering starting with brand new 115L2s or trying to find 115Ls. If the stainless rings are more rigid, would this offset the better corrosion resistance of the chrome plated rings, and just learn to live with keeping them clean and greased?

anglingarchitect

The bakelite plates connected with the reel foot and base allow flex which is the prelude to reel failure, why so many here love the aftermarket Alumn frames and plates. They even make the stock parts perform better than new. All the aftermarket gears drags etc make them almost bullet proof and Sal proof for certain.

handi2

I've done 2 of the L2 9/0 reels with all the goodies installed. The owner will get a frame later. He is using them at 35lbs of drag now with no issues.

There is nothing wrong with those reels.

Penn has been using SS rings for a long time.

The smaller 113H reels use a cheap SS bridge. I have replaced a few because the gear sleeve was corroded to the post of the bridge.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

PacRat

Mark,
I love that term "Sal Proof". That should be our standard of excellence! Like bullet proof but backed up with a lot of trial and error (and destructive testing). We could even rate our reels on a S.A.L. scale (Super Angler Loading) of 1 to 10. All tanks would require a SAL rating of 10 before they could wear the TANK badge. All kidding aside Sal...we really appreciate all your knowledge that you share with us. It's very valuable to know just exactly where the limits are. You have saved us all a lot of breakage!