109 Bass Fishing Project

Started by mo65, June 09, 2016, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

This is one of those posts that will probably be surfed past by most, but I don't care, 'cause I'm tickled pink with the outcome. I had this old 109 laying around...so out of boredom one day I tore it down and cleaned it up. After reassembly I noticed it was really smooth, and I began thinking it would be interesting to try bass fishing it.(we talkin' freshwater bass...casting plastic worms) All my buddies said I needed to wake up and smell the coffee...casting a worm on a 109...:D :D :D  Well, I wonder how they like their crow cooked? ;D

First off, I spooled 'er up with some old 20lb. mono for backing, topped off with 30lb. Power Pro and a 15lb. mono leader. After adjusting spool bearings and levelwind bearings for absolute minimum play, I tied on a 10 inch worm with a 5/0 hook and 1/4oz. sinker, standard bassin' fare. I immediately saw I was going to need help...the spool was outrunnin' me worm...:P  Since the over-run seemed to be occurring at startup, I deducted magging should cure this.

Looking at the first photo you'll see the 109 has a "pocket" on the handle side plate that holds a spare pawl. It's the raised round area seen from the inside. It looked to be a great place to mount a magnet

I did a quick test...BOOYAH...slowed the spool just enough to handle this light load! I then epoxied it in place and also sopped the high speed oil out of all bearings, replacing with grease just for good measure. Backyard testing confirmed I had a live one...can't wait to get her on the water!

Not a bad looking little combo mounted on the Browning Silaflex. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mizmo67

My dad's old 109 is one of the reels that I think did not get soaked by Sandy.

I'll have to try out that magging!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

foakes

Good observation, Mo --

One of the best reels ever made, IMO.

Simple, serviceable, overbuilt, ability to handle most applications.

The 109 and the 9, while the same size -- are different in construction innards.  Both excellent.

Only thing I generally upgrade on these is the drag stack to Cal's greased CFs, Delrin Under Gear Washer, and SS drag washers.

Sometimes a larger handle with a more comfortable crank knob.

They are good to go at that point.

Good job!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: mizmo67 on June 09, 2016, 06:37:51 PM

I'll have to try out that magging!

You'll notice the magnet is epoxied directly to the side plate...clearance wouldn't allow the standard washer/magnet setup. I actually performed testing BEFORE epoxying...since the magnetism of the spare pawl cap held the magnet in place!

mo65

Quote from: foakes on June 09, 2016, 06:50:43 PM

One of the best reels ever made, IMO.

Sometimes a larger handle with a more comfortable crank knob.

I agree, great little reels. We use these for catfishing, and generally like a larger handle for that. This time though, I figured the non-stop casting of bass fishing would be less tiring with the #24-109 handle. I like it so well...I'm considering getting a #24-85 for my Mag 10.

RiverAngler

That totally works for me. All of my Bass reels are round and about the size of a 109. Your buddies just don't have any faith in a good ole' AMERICAN MADE antique.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

mo65

Quote from: RiverAngler on June 09, 2016, 08:15:39 PM
That totally works for me. All of my Bass reels are round and about the size of a 109. Your buddies just don't have any faith in a good ole' AMERICAN MADE antique.

Thanks RiverAngler. I have a lot of low profile baitcasters...and I like 'em...but round reels will always be around. They have a feel that folks love. And you're right about my buddies, they wouldn't know a good reel if it bit 'em on the nose! :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: mo65 on June 09, 2016, 09:37:38 PM
Quote from: RiverAngler on June 09, 2016, 08:15:39 PM

Thanks RiverAngler. I have a lot of low profile baitcasters...and I like 'em...but round reels will always be around. They have a feel that folks love. And you're right about my buddies, they wouldn't know a good reel if it bit 'em on the nose! :D

I recently purchased a good old second version 1968 Abu 5000.  Next time I get a chance to fish freshwater, this reel may get spooled for the first time in its life.  I also like the origional Lew's Speed spools for this type of fishing.  Call it nostalgia, but I like these older workhorses for baitcasting.  I like the green Cardinal 4 as a freshwater spinning reel too.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

RiverAngler

My bassin' reels are a 14 yo Shimano calcutta 250, which people are constantly trying to buy for the same price I paid for it new. And an 11 yo calcatta 200. I can't kill em'. I've tried. These reels get used 4-5 days a week, and if it weren't for this site, and me caring for them 4 times a year they'd be trash by now.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

foakes

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 09, 2016, 09:50:39 PM
 I like the green Cardinal 4 as a freshwater spinning reel too.
John

The Swedish Cardinals -- 3, 4, 6, 7 -- are one of the cleverest and strongest spinners ever produced by anyone.

Utterly simple, strong, and possibly the smartest drag system ever devised for a spinner.

They last forever.

Only weak link is the plastic spool on the 3 and 4.

The 6 and 7 has a bulletproof aluminum spool.

The 3 is my favorite because of the small size.

Then there is IMO, the best spinner ever produced -- ABU Suveran.

4 sizes -- all use the same body -- different spools -- brilliant.  Check out the review here by Alan Hawk, and look closely at the construction and engineering -- unbelievable.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/suv4.html

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

I have many of the reels you guys mentioned. Those 'casters all have centrifugal brakes...which I like better than magnetic. I want to try a 910 Levelmatic for bass and musky.

Tightlines667

Quote from: foakes on June 09, 2016, 10:06:14 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 09, 2016, 09:50:39 PM
 I like the green Cardinal 4 as a freshwater spinning reel too.
John

The Swedish Cardinals -- 3, 4, 6, 7 -- are one of the cleverest and strongest spinners ever produced by anyone.

Utterly simple, strong, and possibly the smartest drag system ever devised for a spinner.

They last forever.

Only weak link is the plastic spool on the 3 and 4.

The 6 and 7 has a bulletproof aluminum spool.

The 3 is my favorite because of the small size.

Then there is IMO, the best spinner ever produced -- ABU Suveran.

4 sizes -- all use the same body -- different spools -- brilliant.  Check out the review here by Alan Hawk, and look closely at the construction and engineering -- unbelievable.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/suv4.html

Best,

Fred

Great review there!

"...I am not aware of any other reel that used carbon as a drag material prior to the Suveran, but I know that later, Shimano & Daiwa decided that Carbon is superior to anything else and used it on...

Suveran's drag is the biggest used in a spinner in relation to a reel's size....

My only conciliation is that that golden era ended with not just any reel, but with what undoubtedly is the finest spinning reel ever built....
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

That is a very interesting article about the Cardinal.  I'll have to read it a few more times to get everything out of it though. 

Good to hear that someone finally found the spare pawl to be a useful feature.  I have a 9M that is fifty-three years old and still kicking.   The clicker is worn out and the level wind wire, idler gear, dog and numerous sets of drag washers were all worn out and replaced at one time or another.  But, it still has the original pawl and the original spare pawl sitting in the side plate.
-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on June 10, 2016, 07:36:51 AM
Good to hear that someone finally found the spare pawl to be a useful feature.  I have a 9M that is fifty-three years old and still kicking.   The clicker is worn out and the level wind wire, idler gear, dog and numerous sets of drag washers were all worn out and replaced at one time or another.  But, it still has the original pawl and the original spare pawl sitting in the side plate.
-steve

Ain't that the truth...I guess the pawl was one of the only parts that would fit onboard. It's a fact we would have all liked a spare set of drags better... ;D ;D ;D

mo65

Well...got a chance to fish the ol' 109. The reel did great but I was a bit lackluster on the hookset...hee hee! I did hook one little guy. Check out the short video.   8)