Handles

Started by mo65, July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkb8

I think that they were made by the Dutch

mo65

Great looking handles guys! Thanks for the info on the starless gizmo. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Olsi_AT

Only looking!!!

Hi!

I've baught two pieces of that type of handle for my Int. 965 (here in Germany in Spetember last year), and found a lot of problems:

1) First, the most serious problem. The hole in the handle is (much) too large! There is a play of
approx. 30°, i.e. just under 10 % of a full turn. On the package it says ... 965, ... 975, ...
When I read it, I was already skeptical, because I knew that the 965 (Type O) and the 975 (Type E)
have different sleeves. Maybe the Handle 3 fits for the 975, but not for the 965!
in any case not! I have made a thin brass plate so that the remaining cavity is almost completely filled.
Now the play is under an acceptable ~ 1 ... 2°.

2) The claim "2 stainless steel ball bearings" is a cheeky lie! There is only one bearing used in this handle knob!

3) The interior of the knob (screw, shaft, bearing surfaces, etc.) were bone dry; no traces of
of grease or oil were visible. The next time it was used for sea angling, the corrosion would have been
celebrated a happy reign.

4) The bearing could hardly be pulled off the mandrel - much less put back on. The anodized layer
of the mandrel was too thick. Only the use of ellbow grease and sandpaper could help here. Now the
the bearing sits "greasy" on the mandrel.

5) The edges of the holes in the knob facing the reel - i.e., where the fingers usually rest when gripping - were not deburred. A very unpleasant feeling! I solved the problem with with a diamond round file.

Now an absolutely unusable power handle has become an acceptable one for my 965...

Wolfgang

Gfish

Thanks for info., Wolfgang. A heads-up on mistaken(?) advertising. And welcome to the site!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

Reviving this old thread for a new addition to my Penn family
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

Now THAT'S pretty neat!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 29, 2023, 10:41:50 PMReving this old thread for a new addition to my Penn family

That's awesome Ted...you scored one of the elusive transparent knobs..BRAVO! :d
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JasonGotaProblem

Maybe I'll find something interesting in here. Thanks again Keith.

You'd think with all these handles and knobs I'd be able to get a grip by now.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Cuttyhunker

Ted, The translucent handle has no oil port.  I have a 1937 12/0 with a torpedo handle also no oil port.  Bullseye thinks it is an aftermarket, but everything else says Penn. Are these factory oversights or were there "pre-port" torpedos from the factory?

12:0 Handle.JPG
Doomed from childhood

Maxed Out

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on April 06, 2023, 01:52:47 PMTed, The translucent handle has no oil port.  I have a 1937 12/0 with a torpedo handle also no oil port.  Bullseye thinks it is an aftermarket, but everything else says Penn. Are these factory oversights or were there "pre-port" torpedos from the factory?

12:0 Handle.JPG

Those are factory made knobs. They've also been found on a few smaller Penns from that same era. Maybe they were trying to eliminate the oil port, who knows, but they surely didn't make very many with no oil port
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Cuttyhunker

Ted
I missed your reply, thanks for the info :d
Bob
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

Interesting. That's the one place you really need an oil port on a Penn conventional.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

1badf350

Hmmmm
Being that is a 1937 12/0, and would/should have had that pear knob everyone hated, it's possible it could be a replacement knob.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"