Handles

Started by mo65, July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 22, 2017, 02:51:00 AM
QuotePicked up this Delmar 285 on the cheap just for this handle I've not seen before. It's numbered, and it looks round in cross-section in the photo, but it's football shaped. I'll replace the photo later if I get a chance. Numbered, no oil port, just apparently pressed onto the shaft.

""End of Day"" handle made in the 1950's. Yours  is only the second one I have seen. The other is one I have on a 1950's Penn Squidder 140.

The color in that photo almost makes it look like it's made of Ivory . . . Very Cool !

Tiight Lines !

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 22, 2017, 02:51:00 AM
QuotePicked up this Delmar 285 on the cheap just for this handle I've not seen before. It's numbered, and it looks round in cross-section in the photo, but it's football shaped. I'll replace the photo later if I get a chance. Numbered, no oil port, just apparently pressed onto the shaft.

""End of Day"" handle made in the 1950's. Yours  is only the second one I have seen. The other is one I have on a 1950's Penn Squidder 140.
Mike, make that the first then, because they're not the same. Mine isn't round like yours, doesn't fill as much space on the shaft, and the tip is different. Here's a few more pics that better show what I mean. This is in "as  found" condition.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, make that the first then, because they're not the same. Mine isn't round like yours, doesn't fill as much space on the shaft, and the tip is different. Here's a few more pics that better show what I mean. This is in "as  found" condition.

I see. From that angle I can these are very different. I do not think yours is a factory modification. Yours looks like it was added by a owner or a shop.

foakes

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 22, 2017, 09:01:45 PM
I see. From that angle I can these are very different. I do not think yours is a factory modification. Yours looks like it was added by a owner or a shop.

Yep, likely not factory --

Here are a couple similar looking knobs -- just in one of the bone drawers.

Easy enough to just replace a busted or cracked knob with whatever was at hand.

An easy way to attach a new rivet is to just use a rivet spinner for a clean and professional install.

Quick and easy.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

This is getting deep. Factory and non-factory installations in these non-original applications is a very difficult case to prove. I like to consider more than a different knob simply being added to a handle blade. In terms of the round white knob we are seeing here, there are a few consideration to make. The one installed on my reel fits the vintage of the reel, is riveted with a rivet squeezer and has a oiler installed in it. The reel it is installed on is a transition reel. It has a mix of numbered and non-numbered parts putting the reel in the 1950 to 52 vintage in the Penn world. The handle blade has a Penn LB-60 number stamped into it, which is odd for a Squidder; but, this is an odd handle. A Squidder from that vintage should have a Beachmaster 155 handle. I bought this reel about ten years ago from the son of the original owner, putting the vintage of the reel and the owner in the correctomundo mode. He told me that was the knob that was always on the reel as he remembered. I categorized it as an End of Day handle.

Could I be wrong? Well, Does a monkey eat bananas????

Penn Chronology

And since we are getting deep, let us go back a bit further in the Penn world to pre-war days that are even more difficult to prove things about. I would think, most Penn workers from the pre-war era are pushing up daises these days. I have another End of Day handle to consider. This one resembles the early Senator or maybe Penn Peer 109 style. Of course the size of the handle knocks it out of the Penn Peer or Senator group but the handle does exist. It is mounted on a pre-war Squidder, no part numbers, pre-war marked linen line stand, a coin edged counter weight is mounted opposite the strange handle knob. The handle knob has a oiler with a metal collar and the word "Oil" stamped into the collar.

I suspect this is a factory experimental knob that escaped out the front door when no one was looking.

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on August 01, 2016, 04:00:52 PM
you gotta love these guys....   ;D

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Handles.aspx

Since Alan was kind enough to post a link to that great handle information, here it is in PDF format, for easy downloading and archiving !

These two files may be identical, but I attached both of them, anyway . . . ( below )

Merry Christmas & Tight Lines !

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

mo65

Mike, thanks for sharing those end of day handles, really cool stuff! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, thanks for sharing those end of day handles, really cool stuff! Cool

You're Welcome. Have a great holiday season!

oc1

Mike, do you know when the linen line stamping disappeared from the stand?  I would have guessed by 1940.  Thanks,
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, do you know when the linen line stamping disappeared from the stand?  I would have guessed by 1940.  Thanks,
-steve

And your guess is as good as any. I would say that stamping ran out on post war reels. I have three Squidders with that stamping on them, telling me it is common to early models. Knowing exactly when it ran out is sort of impossible to say. When it ran out Penn went to a blank Squidder stand. So if I had to make a rule here I would say the linen line stamped stand is pre-war and the blank stand is post-war up to 1951 or 52. In my humble opinion.

Merry Christmas Steve!

oc1

Thanks Mike.  I'm interested in the rate of transition from linen to nylon.  Merry Christmas to you too.  Now, back to handles.
-steve

Maxed Out

Rather than what looks like a piece of bubble gum stuck on a Penn stem  :D  :D......this is more-so what would be considered an end of day knob IMO  ;)  ;)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteRather than what looks like a piece of bubble gum stuck on a Penn stem  Cheesy  Cheesy......this is more-so what would be considered an end of day knob IMO  Wink  Wink

Oh yes, very interesting knob. Sort of unique.

Merry Christmas Ted to you and yours.

Deepennz

Hi there,
I hope everyone has had a merry Xmas, and may you have a productive year in 2018.
I find this handle thread very interesting, so I thought I would contribute.
Here is my 1937, 1st year 12/0.

As you can see, this is not the original handle, and it has no front oiler, but I am fairly sure it is a Penn made handle (coin-edge counterweight etc).
Instead of an front oiler it has a hole drilled in the outer shaft, allowing oil to be added to the handle.

Has anyone else seen this on any handles? - it would seem to be most unusual for Penn to do this - a prototype perhaps?

Cheers
Martin