Help! Grinding after I serviced my penn reel :(

Started by Mattymo92, August 03, 2016, 02:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Matt,

It's possible that the spool was not seated properly.  I have often seen these reels where the last metal keyed washer does not fully sit down on the spool shaft and it leans to one side or another ever so slightly that it rubs against the rotor.  I often have to take the spool off align all of the keyed washers and when I put the spool back on the shaft, make sure that it is sitting all the way down.  A little turning, jiggling, wiggling, and push down until it's seated properly.  It's not always noticeable when you look at it, but compare when it's partially seated and fully seated, you will see the difference.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mattymo92

Bryan,

That very well may have been the issue. Thanks!

Everyone, this incident brought something to my attention... When pricing out what the part might cost if I had to replace any thing on this reel I noticed that since it went end of life parts are becoming scarce... There are still some places to purchase parts on line... Do you think it might be wise to buy some spare parts for the future if something breaks? And if so, what would be the most wise parts to invest in due to lack of interchangeability and propensity to degrade?

Thanks!
Matt M.

alantani

yeah, but, the most expensive things you buy are the things you do not use.  i think it is far better to have a community like this.  if you need a part, just pipe up.  someone here is bound to have it!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ez2cdave

Hi,

Sounds like the spool is making contact with the rotor at the bottom of it's travel.

The 9500 SS doesn't have a Teflon washer under the Spool. So, make sure that you fully tightened the Crosswind Block Screws ( #44 ), the Rotor Washer ( #37 ) is in place, and that you fully tightened the Rotof Nut ( #38 ) . . . Link to Schematic below .

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/9500ss.pdf

Tight Lines !

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

ez2cdave

I just read the whole thread . . . Should have before replying - LOL !

Glad problem resolved itself !

Tight Lines !

foakes

Quote from: ez2cdave on August 15, 2016, 02:07:17 PM
I just read the whole thread . . . Should have before replying - LOL !

Yes, but you tried to help, Dave -- that is what this site is all about.

Plus, your advice was good.

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

D1FISHR

Quote from: ez2cdave on August 15, 2016, 02:03:25 PM
Hi,

Sounds like the spool is making contact with the rotor at the bottom of it's travel.

The 9500 SS doesn't have a Teflon washer under the Spool. So, make sure that you fully tightened the Crosswind Block Screws ( #44 ), the Rotor Washer ( #37 ) is in place, and that you fully tightened the Rotof Nut ( #38 ) . . . Link to Schematic below .

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/9500ss.pdf spool hitting rotor, but WHY?
I second that, spo making contact with rotor.  The big question is WHY?

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Quote from: D1FISHR on August 30, 2016, 02:44:02 PM
I second that, spool making contact with rotor.  The big question is WHY?

As others have said, it was probably just the spool not being seated correctly. If it was a mechanical issue, it wouldn't have resolved itself.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it !

Tight Lines !