Reel for land based shark

Started by Dustin0330, August 12, 2016, 07:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

The 9/0 is a very capable reel Dustin.
Just make sure it is serviced and ready to go. A 5 stack drag properly greased will yield 20 to 25lbs of drag.
Enough to get it done.
You need anything buddy, send me a PM.
Life is Good!

Dustin0330

Thank Daron I really appreciate it! I'll keep my eye out for a 9/0 with the ball bearings and an aluminium or one piece brass spool.

Makule

If you keep doing it long enough, you'll learn the reason Daron has those monstrous Everol reels.  I've had things strip a 12/0 Senator, but the 14/0 hasn't faced that yet.  I've also had a hammerhead bend the frame of a 9/0, although it didn't come close to emptying the spool.

Once you start getting large enough, the limitation is on the human, not on the equipment.  A 9/0 is entirely manageable.  A 12/0 tests the limits.  At 14/0 and beyond, with strong enough line, it's outside the capability of normal humans.  That means, on the run, the rod stays in the holder, well tied down.  I doubt anyone can hang on to 200 lb test line that's being pulled close to its breaking strength (as in, you've run out of line).  At that stress level, you're at failure territory.  Anything can break.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Dustin0330

Here's a few pics of the 10/0 I picked up. It's in pretty good condition except some brassing on the spool and a partially rounded gear sleeve. I plan to service it and upgrade to a stainless gear sleeve and drag insert if they're still available. Thank you guys so much for all the advice.

Dustin

sdlehr

Very nice, Dustin. I'm sure you know, the 10/0 and 12/0 have the same guts, the only difference is the width, and hence, line capacity.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

Nice Dustin! Was that the one on fleabay?

John

Dustin0330

Thanks! Yeah it's the one from ebay.

thorhammer

Looked like a good deal and I thought about it but needed to finish what I've already started.

Glad you got her!! Keep us along as you work it up to snuff.

John

Rivverrat

Daron, how many rods can you fish at once ?  I mean are there any legal limitations on how many ?  How many lines do most guys have out from shore ?....Jeff 

Shark Hunter

I've seen guys run six at a time. That is a lot of work considering you have to kayak the bait out on each one. I always take it serious. I run just one big rod and surf fish with a spinner. If you have others fishing with you. Three is enough.
I don't think there is any limit in Florida. One good fish is going to cross them all up.
Life is Good!

otownjoe

There is no limit on the number or rods you can fish in Florida. But the the law says all rods must be attended.  It's vague as to what that means. If you had a hooked fish on a rod but were unable to get to that rod because you were fighting another fish you would probably be breaking the law. I've put out up to eight rods at once out of boredom only to have them all get hit within a half hour of each other. It was extremely exciting and chaotic. In the end it resulted in a lot of missed hooksets and no caught fish. Joe

Rivverrat

Catching several sharks is on my bucket list. Fishing for big Flathead & Blues not so much blues...I find 3 rods with one of those 3 in hand to be plenty. However for other types of fish I wish I could have more lines in the water. How ever 3 attended rods is all we are allowed in my state....Jeff

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 13, 2016, 05:05:57 PM
I know a Guy Albert.
This could be you. ;)

What reel is that ?

Tight Lines !

Shark Hunter

That my friend is the one and only "Terminator!" Everol 20/0.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9627.0
Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Daron, that looks a stunning piece of machinery.

Mike,

U.K.