shimano trynos 50 2 speed.

Started by ScottOz, August 26, 2016, 07:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi All, Just wondering what the safe maximum or sunset drag on a Shimano trynos 50 2 speed would be.Want to get one of these reels to put 80# line on, but don't want to destroy the reel.My local tackle shop suggests a max of 13kg.Woul be used for landbased sharking.Would love to get a tiagra 80 but just can not afford.Also is there any upgrades for these reels or any kown problems?
Cheers Scott.

alantani

it's got an aluminum frame, so it should be good up to 13kg!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

That reel will definitely handle 80lb test line.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rothmar2

Be aware of this.....

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1083.0

And make sure you give them a full saltwater prep before putting line on one. The thin pressed covers at each end have a bad habit of trapping moisture under them. This will quickly freeze the screws in the frame, and the trim covers will corrode from the inside out. Get a thin layer of grease under those covers, and in the screw holes.
But properly prepped, these should be an adequate reel for what you intend them for.

ScottOz

Sounds like it should suit my fishing.Just give them a good pre grease inside and out for corrosion protection.Do the 50's have the same drag issue as the smaller reels, with the washer falling apart.Would be very concerned about the TLD 50 breaking after some of the stuff I have seen on this forum.For the price don't think there are many other options in lever drag?

Rothmar2

Largest reel I've seen the drag washer issue on was a Tyrnos 30. But I've mainly only serviced these reels in the 30 & 50 sizes, singles and 2 speeds. That's not to say it couldn't occur on a 50 size though. Definitely something to check before fishing one. Good luck with it. After you've done the full pre-service, then yes, they are good for the price.

ScottOz

Rothmar2 do you know if smoothdrag have drag washer upgrades for them or got to cut one out of sheet yourself?

ScottOz

Just checked smooth drag website myself and they don't have a listing for the 50 tyrnos.

Rothmar2

Just cut them yourself if need be. Stanley knife and a piece of MDF, a few pins to hold it all in place, put the original washer on top of the sheet, and trace cut around it. Use some 120 and 200grit sandpaper to hone down edges to fit. Have done this a few times. Make sure you check the thickness of the original washer, and the carbon fibre sheet. You may have to add a shim or 2. For memory, I don't think I had to when I did the 30. I got my carbon sheet(s) off eBay, there's a seller located in Victoria. He has various thickness sheets. You will want the thickest he has for a lever drag (1-1.2mm). But have also purchased sheets from Smoothdrag in the past, particularly when the exchange rate was great a couple of years ago.
You could also contact Shimano Aus. I've been led to believe they have pulled their finger out a bit with the parts and service department lately. I still can't be bothered personally, but that's another story......

ScottOz

Thanks Rothmar2,will look into that. :)

ScottOz

Well I am now the proud owner of a Tyrnos 50 les 2 speed.F pound the one special 100 $ off normal price.M UST admit that I am a bot nervous about striping it down and giving it a pre use grease.Now to find a rod and line.Thanks for the help guys.
Scott. :)

ScottOz

Hi All, Wondering if anyone has some real life line capacity info for the tyrnos 50or tld 50.Think they have the same size spools.Don't trust Shimano figures that much.Line diameter and length would be great.I am hoping that I can get 600mtrs of 80# braid on with a150mtrs mono topshot.Have not yet decided on brand of braid but would probably be solid not hollow due to cost.
Thanks Scott

Rothmar2

Hi Scott,

Most 24kg Mono lines are generally in the vicinity of 0.55-0.7mm diameter.
A braid I am very familiar with is Platypus IGFA Braid. The 37kg braid is listed as being 0.33mm diameter, roughly half diameter, give or take. You would get 1000m of Platypus IGFA braid onto your Tyrnos, and maybe about 80-100m of 37kg mono top shot. Most 37kg monos are around 0.85-0.95mm diameter.
All these are ballpark figures, but if it's line capacity you're after, this would be the way to go. Another good thing is the Platypus IGFA generally tests as stated, or a bit lower. If this matters to you, then these lines come highly recommended.