Daiwa BG Saltwater 2016: Service Tutorial and First Look

Started by johndtuttle, August 26, 2016, 10:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

My Daiwa BG6500 (with pre-service maintenance done) is coming along on the 2017 SOA Charter next week. It will be set up to fish as a 40lb-rig and exposed to the elements for 5 days. Will report back how it fares...

ez2cdave

Quote from: johndtuttle on June 07, 2017, 07:51:03 PMCeramic bearings have cages and races that rust.

Not "Full Ceramic Bearings" . . .

https://www.bocabearings.com/products/bearing-and-ball-types/radial-full-ceramic-bearings?ProductType=0

https://www.bocabearings.com/full-ceramic-and-ceramic-hybrid-bearings

QUOTE :

Full Ceramic Bearings have races and balls that are made entirely of ceramic material and are superior to common steel bearings in many ways. Ceramic is the perfect material for any application seeking to achieve higher RPM's, reduce overall weight or for extremely harsh environments where high temperatures and corrosive substances are present.

Full Ceramic Bearings are usually made of following materials:

Silicon Nitride (SiN4)
    Alumina Oxide (Al2O3)
    Zirconia Oxide (ZrO2)
    Silicon Carbide (SiC)

Because ceramic is a glass like surface it has an extremely low coefficient of friction and is ideal for applications seeking to reduce friction. Ceramic balls require less lubrication and have a greater hardness than steel balls which will contribute to increased bearing life. Thermal properties are better than steel balls resulting in less heat generation at high speeds.

Full Ceramic Bearing Benefits

Will not corrode or rust
    2/3 the weight of steel
    Resistant to resist acids, alkali, blood, salt and water
    Extremely low coefficient of friction and thermal expansion
    Lower friction results in less energy consumed
    Operating Temperature from as low as (-85°C) up to (+ 900°C)

END QUOTE :

Tight Lines !

Glos

I dont think that bearings had time to rust (11 hours of use ), it is more likely that joe with his hard cranking found one that was faulty.
Also, about fully sealed bearings, they are actualy worse than open ones because when water eventualy does get in, it can`t get out...
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Glos

johndtuttle

Quote from: glos on June 09, 2017, 10:47:39 AM
I dont think that bearings had time to rust (11 hours of use ), it is more likely that joe with his hard cranking found one that was faulty.
Also, about fully sealed bearings, they are actualy worse than open ones because when water eventualy does get in it cant get out...

11 hours of use tells us nothing about the interval between the bearings getting salty and the next use. :)

Soak a bearing in saltwater and come back after enough time and any SS bearing on Earth is destroyed.

johndtuttle

Quote from: glos on June 13, 2017, 08:50:51 AM

WWJ Daiwa BG 4000 Fails Again

But, this is precisely why a reel like the Penn Clash with sealed bearings and a sealed pinion assembly for ~$50 more or even more completely sealed reels like the Spheros or Slammer III are worth the additional coin in harsh fishing conditions.

There is no free lunch! :)

johndtuttle

"Not Full Ceramic Bearings" . . .

Cost is prohibitive. Far better to get a reel with better seals to protect all the rest (or accept the limitations of ~$100 reels). :)

Porthos

My BG6500 was outside in the elements for five days from San Diego to Guadalupe Island and back. Casted a Yozuri Sashimi Popper and 3 oz "kastmaster" with it up until Day 4; no observable changes in mechanical properties.

Three se7ens

John, how do you think the BG would hold up to kayak duty with appropriate care and possibly changing bearings to sealed?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Three se7ens on June 19, 2017, 02:47:52 AM
John, how do you think the BG would hold up to kayak duty with appropriate care and possibly changing bearings to sealed?

Maybe, if you also did that "grease seal" I show in a later post after the main tutorial. :)

Price is right, but a Penn Clash has all of that already with sealed bearings and sealing of the pinion assembly.

Porthos

Quote from: koliko on June 28, 2017, 09:54:22 PM

How to get a spare spool ?

Call or go over to Daiwa:

DAIWA CORPORATION
11137 Warland Drive
Cypress, CA 90630
(562)375-6800

johndtuttle

Quote from: glos on June 09, 2017, 10:47:39 AMAlso, about fully sealed bearings, they are actualy worse than open ones because when water eventualy does get in, it can`t get out...

Sorry, I missed this earlier....This statement is simply false with some caveats. A rubber sealed bearing properly packed with marine bearing grease is remarkably salt resistant, potentially going months and months after complete submersion in saltwater without damage. Clearly the superior choice if a bearing is going to be exposed to salt as demonstrated by Penn's service records and reports by pro techs here where reels found on the bottom of the ocean have their greased bearings survive.

Conversely, the idea that once saltwater gets inside a bearing it can get out again is not precisely accurate. **IF** the regular shielded bearing was soaked in freshwater to eliminate any salt residue inside then dried this might be true, but reality is that they are not soaked in this fashion at all by most and only the outsides typically get rinsed. Consequently the salt that gets in stays in and the bearings (regardless of quality unless specific anti-corrosion coatings are used) are rapidly destroyed.

This reality is why the pro techs here always remove shields (so in fact the bearing can be properly cleaned/rinsed) but still pack non-casting bearings with grease and replace the shields. Regular shields (metal) are really just dirt protection that would gum up reels that only see freshwater but plenty of shore dust. Regular shields are arguably a worse choice for saltwater for most users. But removable rubber seals are an excellent choice keeping out salt far better and keeping grease in as well as being easy to service. The pro techs here love them as they are so easily packed with marine grease and remarkably corrosion resistant.

A rubber sealed bearing lasts far better in our collective experience, unfortunately when greased they are not as free spinning as un-shielded bearings treated lightly with oil. But last they will. Techs here report seeing reel after reel destroyed by corrosion, but the rubber sealed and greased bearings keep going and going and going. Fully salt saturated bearings packed with marine grease (just like your trailer) last for years.

handi2

I have found that Penn's sealed bearings last much longer than any other. Shimano spinning reel bearings I have to change daily. Especially the pinion bearing. I just finished a Sustain 2500FG and a Stella 4000FH. Both reels looked new.

Penn's bearings with the black rubber seal is found in all there reels from the first run of Battle reels. The reel may rot away but the bearings are still good. :D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Glos

here is joe again, this time they sent him a new reel full of grease
best option it is
and I would put in gearcase lube with NLGI 00 EP