Where do you store the Grease?

Started by MarcosG, August 31, 2016, 02:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcosG

Some of the grease I have came on tubes like the Yamaha marine. What type of container would be suitable for a long term storage since it's so much.
Thick plastic peanut butter container, Glass jar with metal lid like the strawberry smuckers glass or metal cans is what have available.

Thanks

MarcosG

foakes

Right, Marcos --

You and Joe are right -- and already have it figured out.

Like many of us, I have tons of lubes and tubes of stuff I no longer use or need -- should throw it all out -- do not need the clutter or storage for never used lube supplies.

The ones I use primarily are easily accessible on the bench -- to my right. 

Yamaha blue Marine grease, Cal's drag grease, synthetic oil, plus 321 and a grease gun filled with Yamaha off to my left on a carousel.

The Yamaha is about out for the month -- and I am going to switch over the container to the wide, flat Ball jar -- or the wide, flat sided bullion jar.

Just use an old butter knife, or a thin putty knife to transfer from the 14 ounce tube to the jar.

Flux brushes work great if cut down about 50% on the bristles -- last forever -- and are dirt cheap.

I have even found for speed and effectiveness -- the oil is applied easier with a brush.

This is just what works for me -- maybe not everyone, depending on their style and comfort level.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

The oil (TSI321) stays in a precision oiler.
Grease for bearings stays in the grease gun (for use with the Boss's bearing fillers)
Grease for everything else stay in the thumb greaser
Simples ;D

day0ne

Fred, I like the cut off flux brushes also. Thought I was the only one.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

MarcosG

Thanks for the pictures Fred and the tip for the Flux brushes.
Nice working bench you have as well as the wooden file cabinet you have on the back.

smnaguwa

Thanks for the info Fred. Are the flux brushes resting in an old cigarette ashtray? What a great idea!

Dominick

Quote from: smnaguwa on September 01, 2016, 02:22:39 PM
Thanks for the info Fred. Are the flux brushes resting in an old cigarette ashtray? What a great idea!
Great idea, but where do you flick your ashes???  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

half of my Yamaha grease is on a thick glass container (for food storage purpose) with cap, the other half is in the original tube.
I currently using a bit smaller plastic container with a strong sealed cap, pretty handy

as for brushes as you can see Im using the cheapest I could find on the office store, no reason per se, just wanted to have one in blue for using with the Yamaha marine grease and one Yellow (2nd pic) for using it with the Cals grease, I was told there is not recommended to mix diff greases and oils.

The Baja Guy

erikpowell

Quote from: day0ne on September 01, 2016, 05:47:31 AM
Fred, I like the cut off flux brushes also. Thought I was the only one.

doh! now there's one I never thought of.  :D
Thanks!

MarcosG

"as for brushes as you can see Im using the cheapest I could find on the office store, no reason per se, just wanted to have one in blue for using with the Yamaha marine grease and one Yellow (2nd pic) for using it with the Cals grease, I was told there is not recommended to mix diff greases and oils."

Sorry to stray away from the topic but I've seen folks here mixing CorrosionX with Yamaha Grease. Is that a bad idea?

MarcosG

I will be using way less grease than you guys since I'm not a pro, however I really like the glass jar with a lid and the brush holder.
The bench I'll be using to maintain my reels is the same bench I use to fix computers, shortwave and CB radios (Yes, some of my friends still use them regardless the new technology). Once I'm done with the reels, I'll have to put the grease away and clean up the bench.

Tiddlerbasher

The bench I'll be using to maintain my reels is the same bench I use to fix computers, shortwave and CB radios (Yes, some of my friends still use them regardless the new technology). Once I'm done with the reels, I'll have to put the grease away and clean up the bench.

« Last Edit: Today at 06:11:01 AM by MarcosG » 

Yep! That's pretty much where I'm at ;D

mo65

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on September 02, 2016, 03:21:59 PM

« Last Edit: Today at 06:11:01 AM by MarcosG » 

Yep! That's pretty much where I'm at ;D

X3! :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

Quote from: MarcosG on September 02, 2016, 01:50:55 PM

Sorry to stray away from the topic but I've seen folks here mixing CorrosionX with Yamaha Grease. Is that a bad idea?

not a bad idea since it was already studied and done by the pro here, that mix is to thin the yamaha grease and put it on spinning reels or bearings(not really need to thin the grease, tho)

but what I intended to say is that you need to know a bit about the different greases and oils that you are using, some materials used to make syntetic greases and oils (which are really good) react in a bad way when they get in contact with natural based greases and oils, nothing to be aware of, as an example if you mix Cal grease and Yamaha grease which are two of the best greases for reel repair, you will simply wasted a portion of Cal grease cuz the new mix cant be used on drag washers anymore, and the new mix could be also too sticky and tacky to put it on bearings, this example is the reason I used different brushes for each grease, but sometimes Im too anal with my reels LOL.

The Baja Guy