sealine x 30shv

Started by greg, September 19, 2016, 06:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

just looking for help guys I have been given this reel but the spool seems to be rusted to the bearing on the  handle side.i took off the l/h side plate but could not get it to come away from the bearing.the spool is revolving but will not come free.i was wondering if I take the right hand side off the reel and tap out the spool.or is there anything else I can do.
common sense not very common.

Bryan Young

Quote from: greg on September 19, 2016, 06:45:52 PM
just looking for help guys I have been given this reel but the spool seems to be rusted to the bearing on the  handle side.i took off the l/h side plate but could not get it to come away from the bearing.the spool is revolving but will not come free.i was wondering if I take the right hand side off the reel and tap out the spool.or is there anything else I can do.
You will need to take the right side off and tap the spool (I use a plastic or rubber mallet).  The bearing inner race is obviously rusted to the spool shaft.

Note that the bearing is held in place by a little wire clip.  If you break the clip, don't worry, the reel will work just fine without it but it helps keep the bearing in place. 

Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Bryan is 100 % correct that the reel does not need the clip that holds the bearing into the side plate. I ran a a reel over one season without one and it worked fine. If you feel you need a clip though I have one you can have and yes these will work in the 30shv. Also, if you want you can call Diawa and most likely they will send you a couple free.

Also you may want to try some penetrating oil on the race and shaft and see if that loosens things up or once you have the spool out of the side plate and the bearing is still stuck to the shaft try heating the bearing and then cooling the spools shaft a bit with a ice cube and see if that helps the inner race break free.