Show your favorite "Shelfie"

Started by Maxed Out, October 12, 2016, 01:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhook

Mike,

That's got to be one of Kovalovsky's better/best reels. Stainless Steel , tough and always looks good with a minimum of maintenance. Top Shelf !

Ray

Bill B

After seeing all these reels, it is easy to understand why deep sea fishing was a Rich Man's Sport.....thank you for sharing your treasures....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

Ray,

Love the Atalanta reels. They  are far and few between in the USA and I would expect, very expensive. Beautiful hand made workmanship.

Superhook

Mike & Sal,

The Atalanta is very special to me as it has the USA/Australia connection. Lawrence fished with the biggest names of Game Fishing in OZ in 1938 .There are no production number records of the Atalanta reels but the thinking is less than 50 in Total .

Ray

Maxed Out

Wow, you guys are blowing this thread up way beyond my comprehension.

All those reels are fantastic and very well preserved. John has been holding out on us. I say we pay him a visit and see what else he is hiding.

Ray, the story behind that reel is worth a million bucks. The picture dates itself when I noticed his wife wearing a couple whole mink over her shoulder like they were her pets.  :o :D  Nowadays that's not kosher unless you live in the outback Lol...I also notice the reel has modern day line on it, like someone planned on using it. Seems likely you rescued it from obscurity and possible abuse.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

broadway

Like the guys said already, beautiful reels John and Ray.  Mike, I don't have to tell you how beautiful the Kovalovsky's are, Gorgeous!
These are some real show stoppers! Brian P. has some beautiful AJ Steads and other big game reels including Kovalovsky's and that double handled Fin-nor. :o
You guys raise the bar daily round here.
Thanks for showing,
Dom

coastal_dan

:o  Awesome to see just how many different reels we can choose to collect, while appreciating them all!  Thanks guys for sharing the pictures and stories.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

coastal_dan

After some serious brain crunching...I'm going to have to list the reel that got me into this fantastic 'sport'. 

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

Ya, that's a pretty good one to go with.....

fishgrain

I've always been a sucker for the 9/0 - think I got caught up in the folklore of the bigger senators

this one is long gone  :'( :'(  among others, but it sure looked good  :o :o on the shelf while it was there

every time I looked at it I felt one step closer to using a reel like that myself, man can dream one day

Tightlines667

Nice reel, great pictures.

Come on out to HI sometime, and you can fish some big Senators.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

The Great Maudu

Lots of nice stuff turning up. After seeing Rays Atalanta I want one.

Superhook

The Great Maudu,

Good Luck finding an Atalanta . You might also find one in the US .

There probably are less than 50 Atalantas of all the different sizes.

I only have 2 Aussie Game reels and I found them both in the US . The second is a Neptuna made by LT Willis. Not saying there are no game reels here , there are , just not many and what there is usually costs an arm and a leg.

Ray

The Great Maudu

Well, half of the fun is in the hunting