Penn 970/980 Upgrades

Started by thorhammer, November 14, 2016, 03:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

If only we had frames for these guys.....

Bryan Young

I don't think you need a frame for this reel.  With the bars, reel seat and the inner rings, the reel twist is at a minimum unlike reels with posts.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

it is indeed stout as is. what drag# do you think your kit will get Bry? I fish mono on mine so not likely I will hurt it but curious....I'd guess it would hold close to 500 yds of 80lb braid so at 25lbs it'd be a real killer.

sorry I was thinking of my 990.

Bryan Young

Quote from: thorhammer on November 21, 2016, 08:26:06 PM
it is indeed stout as is. what drag# do you think your kit will get Bry? I fish mono on mine so not likely I will hurt it but curious....I'd guess it would hold close to 500 yds of 80lb braid so at 25lbs it'd be a real killer

This would bring the reel into the 4/0 drag range for sure, but I probably would not fish it more than 15# making this a good 50# braid reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Decker

I'm intrigued by this, but wondering if I need more than stock drag for bluefish and stripers.  Fishing for tuna is currently out of reach.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 21, 2016, 03:47:31 PM
I don't think you need a frame for this reel.  With the bars, reel seat and the inner rings, the reel twist is at a minimum unlike reels with posts.
But they would sure look sweet, especially in gold.
Lets see some hands go up, if we get enough interest, maybe Tom could do a run for us.
As good as that man is, there might be a chance he could eliminate the inner rings :-\.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

My hand's up! Dang,  Magpower Madness as Aiala called it from the flea would triple!!!!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 21, 2016, 10:44:36 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on November 21, 2016, 03:47:31 PM
But they would sure look sweet, especially in gold.
Lets see some hands go up, if we get enough interest, maybe Tom could do a run for us.
As good as that man is, there might be a chance he could eliminate the inner rings :-\.

Sal
Hijacker. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

thorhammer

naw.....he's your marketing rep.....you're gonna need a lot more kits to sell!!!!

thorhammer

In all seriousness that's something I've thought about for years, after I figured out what was under of this series...a frame would about give you a magnum jigmaster IMO

Bryan Young

I love these reels but they are just not in abundance. It may be a good idea to come up with a complete frame and sideplate kit as these sideplates are prone to cracking around the screws since the material is so thin.

thorhammer

Alto Mare

I disagree!  :)

The plates on these reels are actually stronger:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10273.msg130833#msg130833

Here is the problem with cracking plates on these:

I'm not sure why Penn decided to have 1/8" of space between the inner rings and side plates.
Spacers on the screws, or one  washer of the correct thickness for both sides will cure the problem.

If Tom decides to make us some frames, this wouldn't be an issue anymore. I like the plates as they look, I just wish someone could make us decal replacements.

This one is definitely one of my favorite reels, besides the extra space on the plates, Penn did a great job on these.
Tom, lets get some frames going, I might need a dozen or so myself :).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Well, I had read here about that gap a ways back, but here you go...

Tom, you may as well put the 970/80 frame on the CNC while you're at it....I'll take four total right now. Sal will take a batch and I expect Aiala will be on top of this, so there's 20 out of the gate :) .....

Alto Mare

Quote from: thorhammer on November 22, 2016, 02:27:33 AM
Well, I had read here about that gap a ways back, but here you go...

Yep! that was Wai, it's somewhere in here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9889.msg92271#msg92271