Penn 20/0 Senator

Started by The Great Maudu, January 06, 2017, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

I'm in pigeon forge Tn at the NFLCC show. I picked up a really cool penn 14/0 on a Florida Fishing Tackle big game rod. I got into a discussion with the guy I bought it from and he was telling me about a penn 20/0 reel. I told him I never heard of anything like that. He introduced me to a man who used to work at the penn factory. Said he worked for a Mike Quinn in the repair dept. he told penn made some 20/0 senators using 16/0 side plates and making wider bars, reel seat and spool. Anyone here ever heard of anything like that?

STRIPER LOU

Easy Mike! You know you're making crazy here. Boy it would have been great to come up with a picture of that bad boy.

Have you discussed it with Mr. D.?

.................Lou

Shark Hunter

I wish you wouldn't have told me that.
Life is Good!

broadway

I don't think that's true, but I guess anything is possible with Penn.  Some guy who was a land based sharker made a wide spool for his 16/0, so it may be that rumor still floating around.  Type in Penn 20/0 in google and you'll see a bunch of stuff.  That's my guess, ut one never knows.
Dom

The Great Maudu

He claims they were special order at the factory. He has a lot of interesting tales about working there. I can't remember the details but he also told me about a special anniversary edition of the 16/0, 9/0's with orange side plates and Mike Quinn's basement. I'll find out more. There are no pics though.

steelhead_killer

I spit my coffee out when reading this... ;D

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 06, 2017, 08:07:53 PM
I wish you wouldn't have told me that.
><)))">

Shark Hunter

I have heard some tales of the 20/0, But never seen a picture. The tales I've heard said that it was an inch wider than a 16/0.
Two inches wider than a 14/0.
I haven't totally given up on it, but I don't think it can hold a candle to the Terminator. ;)
Life is Good!

Superhook

foakes

Anything is possible -- after all, there is a green sideplate 4/0 Senator in the Penn plant showcase, and Dom owns a red sideplated 9/0.

But there would need to be more to a larger Penn such as a 20/0 -- then just wider posts, stand and the spool.

In order to be capable, other upgrades and redesigns would be needed inside the sideplates, IMO.

Outside of seeing and having one of our members such as Mike, Ray, Daron, John, or Tommy actually have it on their bench -- for me it is like Sasquatch, the Loch Ness Serpent, or UFOs -- I want to believe, but am also realistic and skeptical -- until solid proof opens the door.

Many good machinists, including many on our site -- could do this to a reel -- but it would be aftermarket, not factory.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Here is my take on this.
I'm sure workers could have made some red plates for the 20/0 using scraps and could have also made the wider stand and posts.
It would be hard to believe is if the reel in question has larger gears and clutch assembly.
If everything in the reel in question is the same, except for the color of the plates and the wider body, yes I say it is possible that it does exists. But I need to see it  ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Superhook on January 06, 2017, 09:42:03 PM
Bigfoot uses a 20/0.
You made my Day! Ray :D
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

Maybe Mike C will see this and weigh in. I spent about an hour talking to the guy after dinner. He has no pics of the 20/0. To him it was no big deal back then. They were just making another fishing reel for someone. He said penn would build special requests. He also said that at times employees were permitted to build reels for themselves and make them however they wanted. I guess they just paid for the parts. I believe in Bigfoot, UFOs but not the Loch Ness Monster.

Superhook

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16421&hilit=20%2F0+penn+senator+20%2F0
ORCA forum on 20/0

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=6879
Has a doctored photo of a Headplate...20/0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1390.0
Then there is the 32/0 .

Any size could have been made at Penn but if they were mass produced then they would be in the public's hands and not hidden away at Penn or at a Penn employee's .

One Penn reel that comes to mind is a very small narrow reel that Mike C showed that had a stand and spool smaller than anything else ever made. The word was it was made for winding teasers in while trolling for Bill fish .

sharkman

Be careful guys. I read a lot of articles about the 20/0. Most articles talked about it being a fake that rears it's head every so often. The articles states the side plate is fabricated. One article talked from a worker at Penn that stated the reel never existed. Supposedly the seller will tell a story that reel was a very limited production for great white fishing and it was his grandfathers reel. Now articles talked about Mel Larsen custom made some 20/0 but the side plates didn't say 20/0. Mel Larsen is the guy that made the 32/0.

Penn Chronology

Very interesting topic; but, a Penn 20/0 is pure folklore.

The affiliation of Mike Quinn with this 20/0 would be very unlikely because he was the General Manager of the Parts Department and had nothing to do with the engineering Department.

But, I have to never say never in the annals of Penn History, every time I do, I get burnt. I will say that I have pictures of Mike Quinn's basement and there are no 20/0 Senators there. What is there would make us drool, but not the elusive 20/0..

I do not believe Penn would have gone this far. The need for a 20/0 is almost nonexistent. Penn was a very balanced and logical company. Their research and development was always living in a world of normal standards. Getting abstract was not a Penn thing.