Ohio Flathead Cat fisherman seeks advice on a Penn Project reel

Started by Chillydigits, February 04, 2017, 04:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I agree with John on the 506.

You could also try the 501, you should be able to find one online in fair shape for $80- $100.
No need to go all out, but I would recommend at least this kit:
https://squareup.com/store/pro-challenger-llc/item/jigmaster-package-a
and this
https://squareup.com/store/pro-challenger-llc/item/jigmaster-gear-sleeve

If you're not able to find one, I'm able to make you one with any options.

Good luck!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Chillydigits on February 04, 2017, 08:46:50 PM
Mo, that 259/99 is one sharp reel. Any idea how much 40lb mono that Reels holds? It is hard for me  to get an idea of its size. Is it close to an Okuma Catalina 25?

Chillydigits, I'm sorry...I just noticed in your first post you said you weren't familiar with the older Penns...and I used a couple of antiques to describe the size of the 259/99...DUH! :D They say a picture is worth a thousand words...so I'll shut up and let you take a look at this pic. These cat combos are(from left to right) a 309, a narrowed Surfy 250, the 259/99, and the 210. I known you're familiar with the 309...so use it as a size gauge. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Mo, that's some pretty work right there. Howver clearly the little Surfmaster is outgunned in your quest for big fish. I'll PM you my address :)

I meant 15lbs drag not 40, in my post. Hadn't finished coffee.

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on February 05, 2017, 02:19:16 PM
Mo, that's some pretty work right there. However clearly the little Surfmaster is outgunned in your quest for big fish.

Oh no John...that 250 Surfmaster is for all purposes a 501 Jiggy(same as your suggestion) but using the lower gear ratio of 3:1. It will make 15lbs. of drag all day long. It has all steel gearing and a 5 stack drag kit. I stuck to these lighter cat combos because Chillydigits is fishing a river not much wider than your living room...and these size reels have served me well in that river. 8)

Here's a link to the 250N: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19281.0

thorhammer

I love those guys....have  200's, 160's, 180's, 155's, squidders, but still no 100 / 146 width....in due time :)

Chillydigits

I can't thank everyone enough for all of the great suggestions and offers! I really like the look of MO's 250/501 spool hybrid, I am leery of my first project involving dremeling out the side plate. Dremel tools and I have a hate love relationship, I hate them, they love to hurt me.. Although there does appear to be a nice 250 donor reel on eBay as I type this.

I am settling more on the 501 with its 4:1 ratio and ability to hold 170yds of 40lb mono. I would want to change the internals to the stronger stainless parts from the site Sal linked for me, replace the drag components. Bearings? After I got it mechanically sound, order a Tiburon frame for it... How is the clicker on the 501 reel? Is it loud like my Penn Fathoms?

So now I start looking on EBay for 1 or 2 501s

Again any advice is appreciated

Keta

501's are not cheep, you might price out getting a 500, doing the internal upgrades and then get a Tiburon 501 frame and spool.

Avoid a plastic spool unless you plan on replacing it but Penn 29L-501 spools are hard to find.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

Quote from: Chillydigits on February 05, 2017, 04:59:40 PM
  I really like the look of MO's 250/501 spool hybrid, I am leery of my first project involving dremeling out the side plate.  How is the clicker on the 501 reel?

You could skip double dogging and just go with a single ss dog also. The clicker on the 501 is great.  Good luck on your project! 8)

Chillydigits

Keta , thanks for the advice, I had already thought about a new spool when I got the  Tiburon frame.. Tons more 500s to pick from, now to pick one or two and get them on their way..

Mo.. if these 501s go well, I will build my Flathead winch, 250/501 spool... I will have to pick your brain I am sure when that time comes..

Again I want to say thanks! For all the help and advice to get me started!

Keta

The 250N "Flathead Special" is a good reel and can be easily changed to a 501 on the water.  The same thing for a Tib 99 width 500/250.

I see the 210 mentioned here, I have a 15-210 AR dog drawn up and could have a few cut if there is any interest.  I like the 10 and 210 and were my go to reels for salmon when I lived in Alaska.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

You can find a Jigmaster 500 for around $25-$35 if you look around enough. That one has a plastic spool. I'd try and find one with an aluminum spool.

Keta

There is a lot of rash on that reel and the plastic spool is a negative.  FT's $25-$35 price range is what I would look for.

There are several 500 reels for better "By IT Now" prices and a few 500S reels for $19-$30.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Jigmaster-500s-great-condition-/162375967101?hash=item25ce5ca17d:g:wuwAAOSwZQRYX1r8

Mark Twain

mo65

If you can find a jiggy with an aluminum spool for $25-$35 you better grab it...lately the stock Penn 501 aluminum spools alone have been bringing $40-$50. I like Pro Challenger's latest offering better...comparable price and its brand new...in many colors. You'll see them on that link Sal provided earlier in this thread.
   That Jigmaster in your link looks nice, and from experience, starting your project with something nice always goes smoother than starting with a heap. I like that it has a box...you can store the stock parts you don't use in that box. Also remember with these older models you stand a better chance of getting a steel main gear.

Bill B

You might look at the Penn GS 555HS.....graphite frame, alum spool, Gear ratio can be changed via gear sets form 4.25, 5.3 or 6 to 1,  plenty of capacity 600/20 and a reported 17 lbs drag with the Versa Drag system.....about the same width as a 500 JM and a tad smaller in diameter......it's kind of a sleeper and not commonly found......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!