Help Id a penn reel , "Old Penn reel with aftermarket backlash adjustment"

Started by oldmanjoe, May 09, 2017, 06:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: Superhook on May 11, 2017, 06:11:05 AM
http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15946

An ORCA Post from a couple of years ago.

Good stuff!

Really interesting.

Thanks for locating, and sharing the post.

Great info there.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Robert Janssen

Actually, the strange thing here is that two of you have found two anti-backlash devices that are similar to each other.

There are dozens of patents from the '40s thru the '70s for these types of devices, seemingly mostly by entrepreneurial, non-company guys. Many or most have some sort of wire pivoting tension sensing bar out front. Some are long, some are short, some are big, some are small, some are complicated, others not.

The ones we have seen pictures of here is more similar to the works of Paul Di Cicco patent US3532288 than others. Not identical, but close. Bear in mind that details can change as an inventor continues to develop things.

Again, there are dozens of these devices and modifications, so I wouldn't be so sure as to pin the blame on Paul Di Cicco just yet, but it is a good place to start looking for those interested. I gotta add though, that among all the high-tech gizmos people have come up with, one of the most clever must be US7540441 to Jaclyn Caswell.

oldmanjoe

:)    thankyou super hook   
  found this last night ,but i could not see the pictures .    Not a member, but did sign up
   http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=5921
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

:)   thank you  penn chronology   for your pictures    joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Alto Mare

I just remembered I got one of those device, this one was sent to me about 4 years ago by my good friend  Tom ( Irish Jigger )

He also sent one to Lee through me.

Thanks again Tom.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 11, 2017, 10:28:44 AM
I just remembered I got one of those device, this one was sent to me about 4 years ago by my good friend  Tom ( Irish Jigger )

He also sent one to Lee through me.

Thanks again Tom.

Sal

That is interesting , brake that come in contact with the rim of the reel .     joe

Alto Mare

Yes Joe, very interesting. This is somewhat a simple design, but very effective... I really like it.
The spool slows down as the line lift the wire, this controlls backlashes.
I tried to find more information, but couldn't, it is somewhere on our site.
I know they came with instructions, Ido have those, but will also need to find them.
I'm pretty sure these were made in UK.

Sal

Found the paper that came with these, sorry it was just a nice note from Tom.

These don't really need instructions anyway :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

richard

The UK one was probably produced by Don Neish who had a shop in north London called
Dons of Edmonton...
He is retired now but used to compete in various casting tournament with fixed spool
and conventional reels ,plus fly I think.
He would hang a spinning rod  from the ceiling with thin cord ,spin a bicycle wheel as fast a possible , using the pedals,
then loop the line over a pin on the spinning rim.
He played around with ringing patterns by noting the distance the hanging rod moved.
I think he was the first on our side of the pond to experiment with small butt rings....5/8" dia and 3/4"long,
to reduce the size and slap of the coil that went up the rod with a spin reel.
The gadget for conventionals was called "Dons antilash".

oldmanjoe

Going to try to put all the pictures together for further discussion.  One thing that caught my eye was the spring anchor screw.
    My side plate screw looks smaller and more like a leaning post ,than a capture screw .     I am trying to also add Fred`s picture,but i keep getting error message .    joe

oldmanjoe

:D    I just checked with my silver series 103c , click ratchet # 040b103 .   this fit`s the shaft.    Now for more brain storming .joe

Gfish

Just lookin at the pictures, I kinda liked the one Sal has, primarily 'cause it's external and simple and mabey therefore eaiser to adjust or troubleshoot. Brakeshoes seem like a little bit a overkill ona plastic sideplate. Access with the Squidder ora Jigmaster(quick-take-apart-feature), wouldn't be that hard though. Surfmasters don't have that feature, right?

Wait, see from pictures oldmanjoe's SM200 does have that feature.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker

Any chance of getting some video of one of those in action?? ::)

foakes

Quote from: sdlehr on May 11, 2017, 12:09:01 AM
Hey Fred, if you want to sell that reel and contraption, please let me know.

Sid

I think I might restore this to new with new old stock leather washers, and a couple of parts out of the vintage NOS bins.

Or maybe throw in a set of Cal's greased CFs -- to see how it performs.

Maybe when I take it down -- I can take more pics of the parts -- if folks might be interested?

Options are open at this point.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

:)  Fred   You know i am waiting for you to tear in to it ,pictures and all measurements .    I am thinking 1/8 inch brass flat stock for the arm and about .100 inch wire for the bale.  I believe i have the click ratch figured out .   As far as the spring i think i might have a candidate. 
  If any one have a idea for a  part   Please say so , i am all ears .    joe