TLD 10 freespool

Started by mike garrahan, May 19, 2011, 11:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike garrahan

I have a tld 10 that does not want to jump into freespool.  I have had it apart 10 times checking the bearings, spring etc.  Everything looks perfect.  When you move the lever to freespool the spool does not move to the left like it is supposed to.  If you push the spool to the left or push on the end of the drag knob it will jump over and going into freespool.  Once there it spins fine.  I have oiled the bearings, polished the shaft, changed bearings, springs, everything I can think of.  Does the shaft with the cross pin move in the side plate?  Could that be the problem?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

alantani

here you go!

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=36.0

Quote from: troutman561 on August 26, 2010, 01:30:48 AM
Hi Alan, I am not sure if my message I sent earlier made it because I had nothing in my outbox so I am going to try again. I just pulled my 15 year old TLD 20 apart and greased everything and replaced the main drive shaft bearing. It free spools great and everything feels smooth. The problem I am having is when it is in free spool the preprogram dial is in towards the reel like it should be and all is well. When I engage the drag to strike, it pops out like it should but when I move it back into free spool the dial will not pop back towards the reel until I just slightly nudge it in a clockwise direction. At this point it goes back into free spool. I took it all apart and checked everything and all seems well.. Any ideas?  Thanks, Ryan 

check the left side plate.  often the graphite will swell and the spool shaft will not travel right to left as easily as it should.  see the hole for the spool shaft and cross pin?  yup, it's probably binding right there. 

pull the spool shaft and cross pin out of the spool.  first, take the spool shaft alone and see how well it fits.  if it's too tight, go in with a round file and lightly file each side of the hole, then recheck it.  ok, it spool shaft slides easily now?  good.  let's check the cross pin. 

install the cross pin into the spool shaft and try sliding it in and out of the hole in the left side plate.  it's stuck as well?  no surprise.  get a small flat file and file down all four surfaces of the slot that the cross pin fits into.  again, do  this slowy.  too much and you'll need a new frame.  get this right and the reel should pop in and out of gear easily. um, if that is the problem.........   :-\

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mike garrahan

Thanks Alan.  I thought that the side plate might be the problem but I was afraid to start working on it without some guidance.  Remove a little too much material and you ruin the reel.  I had a box with 5 or 6 spools that I bought at a yardsale and I tried all of them.  None of them would work so I figured it had to be the side plate or something on the handle side.  Thanks again.