Penn Fathom 40LD2 power Handle

Started by steelfish, June 23, 2017, 11:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on November 06, 2017, 05:20:42 PM

the fathom is a nice reel, but I didnt feel it like a keeper reel, the one on the pics was actually sold few weeks ago, I will replace it with a smaller reel but the new one will be from the Makaira line up

Those are my thoughts on the Fathom reels. Great reels for the money. I'll be hanging on to my Fathom 25N's great 40 lb. reels.  For my needs The Andros 12, Penn Baja/US113 are really as big as I'll ever need.
But for your needs Alex I really think you getting a Makaira is what you need & couds use for those Grouper. The 10 doesnt hold as much line as the 15 but the 15 is really wide. However I found with a gimble butt & lite belt {no need to full strap in} will keep this reel from the wide reel wobble syndrome. However I sold my Mak 15. The Andros 12 holds the same amount of line & is just a better reel for my use...Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 06, 2017, 11:11:28 PM

But for your needs Alex I really think you getting a Makaira is what you need & couds use for those Grouper. The 10 doesnt hold as much line as the 15 but the 15 is really wide. However I found with a gimble butt & lite belt {no need to full strap in} will keep this reel from the wide reel wobble syndrome. However I sold my Mak 15. The Andros 12 holds the same amount of line & is just a better reel for my use...Jeff

I keep reading that the mak15 is "too wide" and actually is what keeps me hold the "urge" to buy it.

mak10 is little too small for my go-to reel (I might be wrong tho, but I haven saw one in real to change this opinion) and the mak16 is little too big and heavy to be my goto reel for every fishing trip, its just too big for sierras, curvinas, leopard groupers, and YT, the only fish that could do a figh vs the mak16 is the gulf gouper or black seaBass (both are not my targeted fish, but of course would be cool to fight one get a pic and release ) so, that leave me with the mak15, still on the light and small side but better line capacity for those local deep reefs fishing for YT guards or Baqueta grouper on the 300-450ft mark,  but they seem to be "too wide" for many guys.

I havent found a pic that shows me how wide is the reel vs a reel that I actually own, like a 113h, 500L, I used to have a fathom star drag 40 (which is was wide as a jigmaster ), newell 344 (which is considered also on the wide side), squidder 140, etc

Im set on a makaira reel but but 'till the next two weeks it could be the mak10 or mak15, less chances are to get mk16 unless I sell the penn 16s, I know they are not in the same class but the 16s is good reel with its almost 30# of drag at full with still nice free spool and also really dont like to have many reels of the same size or line class.

The Baja Guy

SoCalAngler

Quote from: steelfish on November 07, 2017, 01:17:36 AM
Quote from: Rivverrat on November 06, 2017, 11:11:28 PM

I keep reading that the mak15 is "too wide" and actually is what keeps me hold the "urge" to buy it.

mak10 is little too small for my go-to reel (I might be wrong tho, but I haven saw one in real to change this opinion) and the mak16 is little too big and heavy to be my goto reel for every fishing trip, its just too big for sierras, curvinas, leopard groupers, and YT, the only fish that could do a figh vs the mak16 is the gulf gouper or black seaBass (both are not my targeted fish, but of course would be cool to fight one get a pic and release ) so, that leave me with the mak15, still on the light and small side but better line capacity for those local deep reefs fishing for YT guards or Baqueta grouper on the 300-450ft mark,  but they seem to be "too wide" for many guys.

I havent found a pic that shows me how wide is the reel vs a reel that I actually own, like a 113h, 500L, I used to have a fathom star drag 40 (which is was wide as a jigmaster ), newell 344 (which is considered also on the wide side), squidder 140, etc

Im set on a makaira reel but but 'till the next two weeks it could be the mak10 or mak15, less chances are to get mk16 unless I sell the penn 16s, I know they are not in the same class but the 16s is good reel with its almost 30# of drag at full with still nice free spool and also really dont like to have many reels of the same size or line class.

Like I posted in the other thread.
MK 10 holds around 380 yards when full of 80 lb braid which equals 1,140 feet, a MK 15 holds around 550 yards of 80 lb braid and that's 1,650 feet of braid. How much line do you need on your reel?

coastal_dan

well, I do practice tug-o-war fishing groupers and the low speed is really hepful on that, so you can do it with 2 speed reels or old reels with 2.5:1, but actually for the size of the fisheries on this latitude you can do it with any one speed small reel with high drag like many of the current options, but like my old man use to say, its better to have it and dont need it than need it and dont have it, so, Its always nice to have the 2nd speed on the reels as an option.

the fathom is a nice reel, but I didnt feel it like a keeper reel, the one on the pics was actually sold few weeks ago, I will replace it with a smaller reel but the new one will be from the Makaira line up

[/quote]

I sold my Fathom to my brother who will only use it 2-3x a year...it'll be perfect for him.  My US113N with Toms Bridge will stay with me to the grave  :D, it is perfect for my mid-range Tilefish trips...especially with a few choice mods.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on November 07, 2017, 05:49:48 AM
Like I posted in the other thread.
MK 10 holds around 380 yards when full of 80 lb braid which equals 1,140 feet, a MK 15 holds around 550 yards of 80 lb braid and that's 1,650 feet of braid. How much line do you need on your reel?

I know I know, thats why I said it would be one of those reels, the hard part is to buy it any of those without touching them, weighed them, see them, reeling them and make my choice depending on which one I feel better for me (Im really picky when speding more than $400), it would be hard if I buy the mak15 online to findout few months later on a fishing expo/store that I like it the mak10 more or backwards.

Quote from: coastal_dan on November 07, 2017, 12:00:11 PM
I sold my Fathom to my brother who will only use it 2-3x a year...it'll be perfect for him.  My US113N with Toms Bridge will stay with me to the grave  :D, it is perfect for my mid-range Tilefish trips...especially with a few choice mods.
Totally understand you Dan, I sold mine to a good friend because I know it was a good reel with some good already and he wont have any problem with it.

in the other hand My Baja Special is a keeper reel, with proper care Im pretty sure it will outlast me ;D, I actually have now two Baja reels and both have the CC Tom's upgrade on them, one is my goto reel for drop loop and trolling and the other is a spare.
The Baja Guy

kevin cozens

Quote from: steelfish on July 29, 2017, 01:07:17 AM
Quote from: handi2 on July 28, 2017, 09:56:18 PMThe way you did it was much safer than drilling. Anytime you drill out the handle spindle that is SS you have to be very cautious.

thanks Keith, feels good to have it done that way, the gold handle got 2 marks from the cut wheel of the dremel but they dont look too bad, actually they look like normal fishing use  ;D ;D ;D
cover the cut marks with a dob of gold paint to avoid corrosion

steelfish

Quote from: kevin cozens on January 18, 2024, 11:58:11 PMcover the cut marks with a dob of gold paint to avoid corrosion

thanks for the tip, but the reel as sold just few months after the power handle was installed
The Baja Guy

alantani

crud.....  been so busy (and sick with the stupid cold) that i didn't take pictures.  i use the arm from a penn 12/16 visx and drilled out one of the screw holes to 1/8th of an inch, then added a pair of teflon shims (0.020 inches each) to make up for the increased thickness of the international arm.  it fits perfectly on the torque 40N.  i checked and mystic parts is out.  too bad.  it makes for a great upgrade for all of the torques. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!