45lb Pre Dawn Striper

Started by STRIPER LOU, August 11, 2017, 02:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Got out yesterday for about 4 hours. Reasonable night visibility at 4 am as it was a full moon a few days before. I prefer to fish the new moon but I needed to fish!

I was a bit off on the tide too as I had not calibrated the Howard Miller tide clock in a few months. Luckily it was to my advantage.

Fishing has been good but not outstanding. We just started to get some bait in the area and for once there was a ton of silversides. You really have to bring your A game to score,  the window of opportunity short, and night fishing the right tide has been the best.

I got nailed on the first pass with the old reliable homemade Slope head swimmer. A nice 25lber and quickly released and another shortly thereafter about the same size.

It was approaching false dawn which is one of my absolute favorite time's and got nailed again with a strong hit and lots of line going out. From the weight I could tell it was a good fish but after the initial run it seemed to run out of steam.

Well, when this fish saw the boat it was game on! Strong deep runs and it just kept going and going. I always keep my fishing belt on the back of the seat and grabbed it quickly. Had a hernia operation a month ago and wanted to protect the family treasures. This fish had a broad tail about the size of a school bus and had a bunch of power!

It was a real workout as I wasn't suppose to do anything overly strenuous and no lifting above 20lbs. I was thinking as I was fighting this fish and hoping the doc hadn't used the repair mesh that had been on recall (lol).

Kept the motor running and going in small circles to try and gain some line. Was thinking it could be another 50. This fish was really hangin and a sing to the line pretty much told me it was all the pressure I could put on her!

When the fish finally came to the top it was a grand ole girl but I new it wasn't a 50. None the less it was a beauty and I couldn't even see the plug, it had gotten inhaled.

Got her in the net and dragged over the transom and quickly went to work trying to remove the plug. Unfortunately it wasn't going to happen.

The fish was a beautiful specimen, jet black lines, a huge tail and nothing out of order. Covered her with a wet towel and made a few more passes. Tide was winding down a caught a few more schoolies. Back to the barn by 8 and home by 9:30.

Fishing to the east of us has been a bit better but its a long run. Getting the time and tide correct and some persistence has been paying off!

All have a great day,  ..  Lou

Decker

Beauty, Lou!  I love fishing at that time of day too.   From the east coast the sun lights the sky slowly, then creeps over the sea horizon. Since I'm surf fishing, it's always right in front of me.  I stay until it blinds me.   Each time is an epiphany.

Benni3

Very nice fish,,,,great job and i know you will be getting  more big ones your on a roll :D

foakes

Thanks for sharing, Lou --

Great job

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Nice school bus Lou! ;)
You are the Man!
Life is Good!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Steve-O

Nice report, Lou. One battle to remember.

mhc

Great trip Lou, thanks for sharing.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations Lou.  That would be a fish of a lifetime for almost anyone but you!

Dominick

Great story and a great fish.  Thanks for the excitement.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mizmo67

Nice fish, Lou!

Shame on you though...fishing alone when you aren't allowed to lift over 20#. *** Stern Mama Mo Look ***
You could undo all that surgery and physical therapy work :(

How are you feeling today?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

STRIPER LOU

Thanks Mo, and your right, but I just had to get out. I never get tired of wetting a line! I use the boat and motor to my advantage.

Feeling pretty good today but definitely not ready to play football.

All the best to you and Scott,  ..  Lou