sealine 900h/910h

Started by alantani, February 07, 2009, 11:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edgarz

I was just about to tear down my reel and looking at the instructional there are supposed to be 3 round and 2 eared metal washers.
The package contains 2 eared and 2 round washers only.

RowdyW

You are supposed to reuse the original thick top washer.    Rudy

edgarz

Top meaning it goes in the slot first or last?

RowdyW

Last.......the thick one. In the gear first is the bottom, in the gear last is the top.

edgarz

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go next weekend.

jbackos

Alan,

Not to threadjack, but I just took delivery of a 910 rockcod. Do you currently have any drag upgrades available or will you in the near future? I will be using the reel next summer.

Thanks,

John

togtavern

hey alan any chance you have anymore 900H drag washer kits available? thanks

alantani

yes.  send me a pm with your address and i will ship them out.  remember you get 4 metal washers.  you have to reuse the thickest metal washer on top of the stack.  check out the 5/0 handle grips as well!  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7325.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Chris

I have a drag kit coming,will drag washer be pre-greased?I also want to be sure,do I re-use the thick stock washer?

dogtagger

So 2013 was my second year fishing with my Tani'd 900s, and one of the reels got it's first real test. As some of you will recall I released a massive mako last summer http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7994.0, which was taken with my 900 w/ 80 lb mono, drag upgrade and kolekar 6/0 handle upgrade. In the past the reels have performed perfectly, but with the mako, I had to button down the drag to slow the fish down. When I got the drag as tight as I could, there was a distinct tight spot, like something was warped in the drag system.

So fast forward to last night, I tore the reel down, looking for whatever might have been the problem. Low and behold the slot milled into the gear for the eared washer doesn't extend to the bottom of the gear, but instead stops well above the bottom of the gear, and is beveled upward toward the outside of the gear.

In this picture, its kind of hard to see. The original washers were pretty thick, but now with thinner washers in there the first eared washer hit the bevel before the drag could bottom out, resulting bent ears on the washer.

As you can see, when the ears bent, only a small part of the eared washer contacted the HT-100 drag washer.

This was the reason for the lack of drag and the warped feel with the drag cranked tight. My solution is to use one of the original keyed washers at the bottom of the stack, two thin eared washers, one thin keyed washer and one original thick washer at the top of the stack. I havent tested it yet, but I don't have enough room to use the thickest washer on the top.

As usual, I went through the reel, brushed it up with a little grease. Low and behold, I discovered the reel foot is a separate piece from the frame, and is held there by the two long screws.

who knew? (not me anyway!).

Long story short, I'll post an update when I have a chance to test the drag. I hope the thicker washer gives the eared washer enough room, but ultimately I may have to dremel out the bottom of the milled slot.

To be continued...

Bryan Young

Thank you for the information.  I'm currently looking at re-designed the drag system for Alan's 900H replacement kit.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

actually, one quick way to fix that would be to bend the ears up.  you see that in many daiwa metal drag washers. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

That is Minor considering the Giant you caught!  I hate to admit it, But it gave me new respect for the Sealines. I have a 600 and am still on the hunt for a 900. Interesting the foot separates from the frame. I never knew. :)
Life is Good!

cmaraj1

jus bought a 900h off ebay for 125.00  do u guys think i paid too much????  im planning on doing the drag upgrade and looking for a cheap 6/0 handle

Shark Hunter

Its not too much if you want it bad enough. I was watching that same reel from the pennshimano guy. That's why I don't have one yet. I don't want to spend that much. I'll drop a hundred on 9/0's like they are peanuts. I have a mental block when it comes to buying something other than a senator. I think Sal has engrained it in me. :P
As far as a cheap 6/0 handle. They are not cheap. about $33 each from the Boss. Its not cheap being cool.
That giant Mako that Dogtagger caught is proof that the 900H is a reel to be reckoned with. Even with a drag problem. That is impressive. ;)
$125 isn't too bad for that reel. It has all the accessories and looks in pretty good shape. You need to order a drag kit first and then get one of those Kokelar handles.
Life is Good!