Baby Blue two piece halibut rod

Started by Steve-O, June 23, 2011, 08:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

where they excell is when a large  fish is hooked.when the fish pulls the o/head reel will rotate to the top of the blank.if its built right.its easy to test.run your line thru,tie to a bucket of water and lift.troll,cast,live,jig.dont matter.they are good.easy to build.buy your self a 2 pc spin rod.change bottom couple of guides,top section under rod,reel seat on top and away we go.how about that sal!!

Steve-O

Guys - Wallace is DEAD ON the money with his explanation. On the bigger or stronger fighting halibut I caught in Alaska  in June I could have opened my grip of my left hand and the reel would have remained stationary on top of the rod because like he said the torque and pull is now underneath pulling down. I spiral wrapped it counter clockwise so the torquing from my right hand reeling is slightly offset by the line going over to the left and underneath. It works. I'm a believer and these are my first two rods built this way.....but not the last. Cabela's offers one online and in the catalog. I think it's a Fish Eagle by name...not sure. This baby blue rod was a torture test experiment. As were four others I CUT IN HALF and installed reinforced ferrules into. All did fine. My intent was to have them with me on the plane as a carry on without having to lug a rod tube and check them. The longest half was under 48 inches on the bamboo rod. so no worries on the plane. I like the spiral wrap and the cut down rods. I highly doubt they would endure well on a more furious fish species like YFT or BFT or other heavy high speed freight trains. Worked on halibut real well but they are only good for a couple three runs to the bottom and then just resist like a sheet of plywood coming up. A barn door WILL give you a good hard battle with some body aching workouts.

My next trip is down to the Trinity river in Texas for a river monster gator gar.

Steve-O

ccalls

Steve, nice halibut!   Where did you get that Avet clone and what brand is it?   Anyone can get a brand new Avet SX for $150 + $8 shipping off of Ebay right now so I hope there are some substantial savings to justify going without the AVET warranty and support but obviously, that clone can pull in the big ones.

Steve-O

ccalls - here's the link to a post about the three Omoto brand reels I purchased.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1685.0
I got the two speed silver one for $100.00 plus $10 shipping. Which is a clone of the Avet Raptor $500.00 reel. Savings? You Betcha! and the reel is a tank.

The graphite 2 speed was around $90 and the little blue Avet clone was about the same as I recall.

The current ebay deal on Avet SX's is a great deal. If I didn't have the clones - with which I am totally satisfied, I would buy one.

Here's Alan T's tutorial on the Avet SX clone.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=46.0

The bargain basement deals may be harder to find now on the Omoto/ Avet clones now that they've gotten good press by users. I think there's a guy on here selling them...maybe Black Pearl?

hope this helps,

Steve-O

ccalls

That Raptor clone for $100 is an awesome  deal.  I just did my own search and it seems like dealers are selling their Omotos as much as or even more than Avets.  Thanks for all the info.

Dominick

Quote from: Steve-O on August 07, 2011, 06:35:27 AM
I highly doubt they would endure well on a more furious fish species like YFT or BFT or other heavy high speed freight trains. Steve-O

Steve:  This comment intrigued me.  Do you think your rods won't work because they are not beefed up enough, or spiral wrapped just won't work with these big fish?  As you may know I fish for YFT in Baja regularly and I am curious to know if a beefier rod would work down there.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

My thoughts behind that are coming from the fact that I took a one piece rod cut it in half and installed a brass reinforced ferrule. Having only seen videos of BFT fishing and other like species and the weight of the fish, the fight and length of it would plus the repetition of more such battles would reveal the weak links in my home built rods.  Most big game stuff is built based on a one piece blank for maximum strength. OR the travel stuff carries a high price tag.

Probably some self depracating insight as to my abilities thrown in for good measure.

The same rods held up on my gator gar trip but those fish were more like logs and submarines that bullets or torpedoes.

As far as spiral wrapped rods go....I'm sold on them after my limited experience. Anything crafted for or by me will be acid wrapped!

Time and more fish will tell.

Steve-o

Black Pearl

Quote from: Steve-O on September 02, 2011, 04:19:16 PM
ccalls - here's the link to a post about the three Omoto brand reels I purchased.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1685.0
I got the two speed silver one for $100.00 plus $10 shipping. Which is a clone of the Avet Raptor $500.00 reel. Savings? You Betcha! and the reel is a tank.

The graphite 2 speed was around $90 and the little blue Avet clone was about the same as I recall.

The current ebay deal on Avet SX's is a great deal. If I didn't have the clones - with which I am totally satisfied, I would buy one.

Here's Alan T's tutorial on the Avet SX clone.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=46.0

The bargain basement deals may be harder to find now on the Omoto/ Avet clones now that they've gotten good press by users. I think there's a guy on here selling them...maybe Black Pearl?

hope this helps,

Steve-O

Actually, the sliver one is a Poseidon S-12II 2 speeds. It is not the same as AVET Raptor at all. In addition, I know that OMOTO will be coming out with a reel name Vortex which will be comparable with 2 speeds AVET MXL or MJX Raptor.

I have arranged one of the Vortex 2 speeds to Alan Tani for review. It should be there is few months. It is being tested in UK and Germany.....