Full Ceramic bearings for the spool, Who used them?

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, June 25, 2011, 08:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinaard van der Vossen

For some of us it is important to have sufficient freespool on your reel and I do see a lot of efforts where people try to increase the freespool. People tend to get rid of the bearing covers and the grease and use a light oil. As they do increase the freespool the backdraft is that you'll probably experience more corrossion and run the risk of having the bearings exchanged, maybe a couple of times, during the lifetime of the reel unless you are very consistent in your maintenance.

While bearings are not that expensive it already becomes something different when you go for good quality stainless steel ABEC 5 (or ABEC 7) bearings.

I do not see anyone using full ceramic bearings for the spool. Is there anything against it or are they just to expensive.

A quick search on the net revealed that a full ceramic VBX bearing in the size right for an okuma makaira 50 would cost something like 49 USD when only 1 is purchased but I'm sure there are other suppliers of high grade ceramic bearings as well and that they must be available at a lower price.

Personnally, I do'nt need a lot of freespool on my reels that I use offshore as they are used for trolling or bottom fishing and not for casting. I just posted this because I'm curious :)

Nessie Hunter

I do some upgrading of bearings for speed and lower maintenance on reels.

Some of my Bass Guide customers and avid hardcore anglers will go to the ABEC #7 Hybrid Bearings (Ceramic balls SS races & Retainers) these run about $15 per bearing or $30 for set of 2 (spool only) at Smoothdrags, com & at Boca Bearings online..
This price is close to (within a dollar or 2) the Stock #5 SS bearings from dealers (Shimano, Daiwa Etc).

The Hybrid Bearings have much less friction (faster) and no rust to the balls, with minimal maintenance they will function Fast & stay in good condition for a lifetime..

Most of the Quality 100% Ceramic bearings will run $75 to $100 'Each' (Boca Bearings etc)..
The only benefit I see is no rust.. 
Remember if you do Saltwater fishing, its the Salt deposits that will stop a bearing dead more often then rust, then the rust will set in without the movement...
Freshwater isnt any where near as bad, the quality SS will not rust with minimal care... Drop of oil once or twice a year, Same with Saltwater in most cases.....
Non casting heavier Saltwater reels ~ you can pack the spool bearings with grease and save that time consuming drop of oil once a year...
All other Reel bearings can be packed with grease..  The grease will stay in place and protect them for a very long time.
I have several Daiwa Saltist reels that I did 5/6 years ago.. They get regular salt use and I have taken them down yearly and touched them up, but they could have gone without the touch up for the past 4 yrs even..
Except the Spool bearings. they needed a drop of oil....  These are stock #5 SS bearings also...

BTW the Cals Drag grease on the drags seems to have sealed them from any water intrusion at all. Love that stuff....
I have seen near new salt reels (1 season of light use) that had the drag stack welded together from Salt & rust, it is not a pretty sight!!!!  :-(

Pre service AT service is a MUST for Salt reels...... 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Reinaard van der Vossen

Quote:
its the Salt deposits that will stop a bearing dead more often then rust, then the rust will set in without the movement...
end

That is why is thought of full ceramic. The salt deposit can be washed out and then the bearing will function as new (should do that right after the trip, of course). I would expect the salt to be crushed with ceramic bearings but that is another story

I know that Boca is a good supplier but I think there are much cheaper options because the bearings will not run high RPM and will have no high temperatures. The main aspect that is important is corrosion resistance. Smoot running and long life are also important.

It is long ago that I was dealing with bearings as an engineer so I might not be spot on anymore but the application seems not so demanding apart from corrosion.

JGB

The salt crystals are very real. I was able to observe them when testing bearings with TSI oil. They did not rust but salt crystals would form  where the balls touched the races. If severe enough it would seize the bearing until you put enough force on the balls to break the salt crystals free. To remove salt crystals flush with hot water. I tested the bearing worst case - submerged in salt water for 1 hour and then let them dry over 1 day without running them. Inspected them under a inspection scope saw very small salt deposits holding the balls in place like wheel chocks on a boat trailer.

Jim N.

Nessie Hunter

In a perfect world, the rinse would be thorough and complete..
90% do a quick cosmetic rinse and thats it..

If you have been reeling in line all day or the rod & Reel were sitting in a rod rack on a boat for a day or 10. It is saturated to the bone with saltwater....  Most never rinse well enough to get to the interior let alone the Bearings...
You wouldnt believe some of the deposits I have seen inside reels from guys I know that do a rinse religiously, but fail to do it well...
Trust me, you see it all when you work on other peoples reels!!!!!

Knowing how well my Reels are Lubricated, I soak them when I get home in warm tap water. 
That is after a fresh water rinse at the dock if possible. 

I live 120 mi from the long range fleets in San Diego and 60++ mi from local salt water where I have friends with boats.  I also do a lot of Saltwater Float tubing.. (or did till gas went ballistic).. :-(

A quick spray off (if thats even possible) then a good hr or more soak when I get home...
I also work the reels (crank and change gears or freespool etc etc) while they soak...
Those salt deposits/crystals are killers!!!!!!

Full Ceramics would be the best choice, if cost is not a factor.....
But the Quality of them would also be very important. 
I myself would be reluctant to buy from an unknown/unproven source to save a dollar.....
You, many times, get exactly what you pay for....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

conniek

well, we work on freshwater baitcasters and the spool bearing, like behind the pin on spool shaft, we do not up grade. IMHO, i believe the two bearings in side plates are the ones that carry the load of the spool shafts so those two are the ones we upgrade with the hybrid ceramic, However, if the spool shaft bearing goes bad, we do replace it with after market ABEC 7 stainless.
We offer training to those lucky folks who want to go into this exciting biz of rod and reel repair or learn how to repair their own reels. We also have a "Fishing Reel Maintenance" video on the market today.Come learn the biz and makes lots of money. :) maybe not.
Gary Yamamato staff for over 10 y