WIDE TIBURON 14/0 and 16/0 SENATOR FRAME AND SPOOL KITS?

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, December 23, 2017, 08:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army_of_One

I don't have the money or need for this, but I want it in purple please! ;D
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on December 25, 2017, 09:46:11 PM
Thanks to everyone for their well-considered comments.  I am just thinking out loud, but here are my thoughts so far:

John and I are on the same wavelength regarding the foot.  I had already priced out the 30-130VS stand, 264-130ST gasket, 33C-130VSX clamp kit and six 63-30T screws on Mo's website and at retail, it adds up to a lot of money ($104.50), but I would guess that either Mo might be willing to help out with a good deal for twenty sets for this project, or that Tiburon can buy the parts wholesale from Penn, or that Tiburon could sell the frames drilled and threaded for the parts and we could each source the Penn parts on our own.  One other possibility might be to machine an integral base into the frame and let Tiburon produce the clamp kit.

I agree with Daron and John about the 6" X 6" spool.  Tiburon machines their spools out of a solid billet of aluminum and can make the arbors as large as necessary without increasing the cost, since they are paying for the whole block of aluminum anyway.    It is my understanding that the big Senators were designed to fish 130 lb. line, with somewhere in the ballpark of 50 lbs. of drag.  I am not aware of anything heavier than 200 lb. Dacron being in common usage back in the 1930's or even now.  I am not an engineer, but I would guess that increasing the width of the spool will put additional stress on the bearings (and maybe the ends of the spool shaft) when the line is pulling under heavy drag from the outer edges of the spool.  

Randy

Randy,
Forgive me, but I agree with everything except for the clamp. Every Tiburon frame I have owned has had the foot made into the frame.
The VS stand is a great idea, but that clamp is way overpriced, and lacks the beef. For $104.50, I'm sure Tiburon could come up with something better. JMO
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: thorhammer on December 26, 2017, 12:58:54 AM
Daron, can you check my brace kit on the Everol for dimensional fit? As I recall it is probably an inch longer than stock and I may have even cut the eye hooks down. They may work for this and the aluminum barrels could be anodized (that was my plan at some point). 

I'll have to get back to you on that John.
I just saw this, and I'm headed out for work.
Daron
Life is Good!

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Tiburon would do the design and engineering based upon our wish list.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

We must be getting closer to our minimum order amount ?? Keeping my fingers crossed that this comes to reality  8)

Are the color choices silver or black ??....or will Tiburon do them in any of their standard colors ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

I agree with Daron, Let tiburon figure out the clamp, They have a ton of expierence and could come with something seemless. I'm on the fence Randy, Trying to figure how to pull if off. Maybe I could just swing the frame and keep it for future reference. I'm working on it but don't count me in until I nail it down. Thanks Heridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 26, 2017, 09:09:38 PM

We must be getting closer to our minimum order amount ?? Keeping my fingers crossed that this comes to reality  8)

Are the color choices silver or black ??....or will Tiburon do them in any of their standard colors ??

Ted

Please let me remind everyone that we are in the very early stages of determining the feasibility and cost of producing these kits, so if it doesn't work out, I hope that everyone will not get mad at me.  I am going to do everything that I can to make it happen, as I think that this would be the most impressive aftermarket Penn product that I have ever seen and I would love to have one.

In answer to Ted's questions:

1.  I am fairly certain that Tiburon will produce the kits in any of their standard colors (black, silver, red, purple, electric blue, cobalt blue and electric green) but we might have to wait until they are running that color for other products.  We will number the frames, and (I am not sure about this) it may be possible to individualize the graphics, at an additional cost, as well.

2.  We are up to 14 kits, as follows (in order received): Me, 1badf350, 54Bullseye, MikeySM, Maxed Out, Shark Hunter, foakes, thorhammer, Tightlines666, Benni3, TheGreatMaudu, IslandGypsy, Handi2, , Army of One, for a total of 14 with Swami805 as a more than likely #15 (you can make some rods for me Sheridan), and this is enough to go forward.  I would hope that the production would be fully subscribed within the Tani Ohana, but if not, I am confident that I could sell the remaining kits through ORCA or elsewhere.

3.  It sounds like 6" X 6" large arbor spool would be ideal, so that's what I am going to propose to Tiburon

4.  Regarding the base, I am going to impart to Tiburon the need for a rock solid mount to handle the extraordinary stress that it might be subjected too.  I will suggest the several options that we have discussed (Penn hardware or integral machined aluminum, but will leave it up to them to propose the design.  In actual use, the forward and rear rod braces, if adjusted properly, will take a significant amount of load off of the base, but I am not going to mention that to Tiburon.

5.  I have not yet talked with Tom about producing side plates for these kits, but I will as soon as we have a definite go on the project.  My contact with Tiburon is out this week but I am going to deliver a 16/0 to him on January 24, if not before, along with our parameters.  Keep your fingers crossed.

All comments, criticisms and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Randy

54bullseye

Sounds good Randy !!  Let me know when you need some money !!   Thanks for doing this.    John Taylor

Shark Hunter

Randy,
I totally understand  this is just a Pipe Dream until the Fat Lady Sings. ;D
The price is my only worry. If it doesn't work out,
I already Forgive you. ;)
Life is Good!

twotone

twotone

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Benni3

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 24, 2017, 09:02:08 PM
Let me bang on some doors!
This will be epic if it comes to fruition. :o
If they make a Red One, I know Sal won't be able to resist. ;)
thanks for knocking on my door  ;D this is going to be great project!!!!x

Maxed Out

......Bump

Hi Randy, any update on this kit becoming a reality ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!