cedros sportfishing - date changed to september 3-7, 2018

Started by alantani, January 27, 2018, 05:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

Two and Two is just fine and dandy. I snore sometimes so foam earplugs in the bag are a good idea. Is Chark bait near by ? I've always wanted to see their store as I have ordered lots of stuff from them.

Todd.
Todd

MarkT

Charkbait is a little place, the place you mail order from is in Huntington Beach, it's not all that large either.  Check out Squidco for something special and Anglers Choice on the way back to the hotel. Both of them are packed with stuff.  The big 3 landings all have tackle stores too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hardy Boy

Thanks for that Mark .............. nothing like local knowledge. I would be in to visiting any good store if we have time. Nothing like buying stuff I don't need.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

ldoret94

All three are within 2-3 of miles of the Vagabond.  I'd be more than happy to provide a ride assuming the timing works out. 

ldoret94

Given our weight limitations I trying to minimize what jigs to bring.  Wondering if I should bring any JRI 66 or Salas PL68's?

alantani

jigs won't be a problem.  i lost 25 pounds a while back, so worst case i can cram them all in my pockets and stop when i get to 170 pounds!!!! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

Quote from: ldoret94 on May 12, 2018, 11:59:39 PM
Given our weight limitations I trying to minimize what jigs to bring.  Wondering if I should bring any JRI 66 or Salas PL68's?
6xJr's are all you need. We won't be dropping in 300'.

jurelometer

Quote from: ldoret94 on May 12, 2018, 11:59:39 PM

Surface irons!!!  I like the Tady's,  but any of the good ones probably work.    Plus Salas 6X and 6x juniors for the deeper stuff.    As Mark said, it is unlikely that you will be fishing deep for yellowtail.

The difference from fishing Cedros from a panga vs a long ranger, is that you will (hopefully) be doing some run and gunning chasing pods of yellowtails crashing bait on the surface.  These fish will be oriented toward feeding upward.  A sinking iron will work,  but a surface iron will often get bit better, or at least that has been the case for me.  When the surface bite is going off,  you don't stick around when the fish go down,  you just move on to the next boil.  If the boils aren't happening, you  fish the 6x irons or similar, live bait, or if it gets real slow... trolling.

I'll let the jig pros argue the merits of various models,   but make sure you have some regular and surface style. 

MarkT

I like 1 oz Warbaits leadheads with 7" MC Viejo plastics for Calicos, Tady 45/Salas 7x/JRI 7 surface irons, Salas 6xJr/JRI 6/Tady 4/0 yoyo jigs, various Rapala, Daiwa and LC  hardbaits. Rapala x-wrap magnums for trolling and I'll try some Nomad designs this year too. The times I've been there plastic's for Calicos and live bait for YT worked best but last time everything worked great on the YT!

ldoret94

SoCalAngler

Like stated 2 each of the 6x jrs in your favorite colors should cover you. If you would like to talk colors I like for Baja waters PM me.

Hardy Boy

I'll be on the bum or I will pick some up down there; Rosie also mentioned that will have have loaner gear for us. Of course I would replace what ever I lost. Not many surface irons or calico jigs for sale up here in BC and the shipping from the US sucks. Hooks, line and rapalas I have.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

It might be that I have enough that you could borrow some from me  ::)

Hardy Boy

You'll have all the halibut jigs you ever need if you come up to Hardy fishing .............................. thanks !!

Todd
Todd

scrinch

Quote from: alantani on May 13, 2018, 12:57:37 AM
jigs won't be a problem.  i lost 25 pounds a while back, so worst case i can cram them all in my pockets and stop when i get to 170 pounds!!!! 
I recently lost 25 lbs, but I'm still wayyy north of 170 lbs. I haven't weighed that since I was a freshman in high school! They may not let me bring any bags at all!