Rosco Butt Rings

Started by Scattergun2570, February 08, 2018, 04:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I am reaching out to the West Coast guys here.. I understand that these Rosco Butt Rings are used out there.,the kind that are split,and need to be welded in place to close.. I am looking to get some..but I don`t need a ton. Anyone have any they can part with ?

http://www.roscotackle.com/fishing-tackle/product-detail/american-made-stainless-steel-butt-ring

Bryan Young

They have to be brazed or welded. What size are you looking for?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

The best way is silver brazing.  When Mary's pre schol is out for the summer I will do a tutorial.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 08, 2018, 04:48:52 AM
They have to be brazed or welded. What size are you looking for?

Well,i am thinking #5....maybe 5A ,but I don`t know how strong that size would be.... I am in the NorthEast..Stripers and Bluefish is what I will be doing battle with.. I want to use it on these tins so I don`t have to use Duo Lock Snaps..

oc1

Yeah, silver brazing would look best and not require burnishing, but why not just use split rings.  They would look even better and be as strong as the hook.
-steve

Scattergun2570

Quote from: oc1 on February 08, 2018, 07:57:36 AM
Yeah, silver brazing would look best and not require burnishing, but why not just use split rings.  They would look even better and be as strong as the hook.
-steve

Cause it's very difficult to get them on,and if you do,it really baats up the split ring.,it's been tried by many,,common issue with these tins,,which is why duo locks are used.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Keta on February 08, 2018, 05:19:00 AM
The best way is silver brazing.  When Mary's pre schol is out for the summer I will do a tutorial.

Mary's ?

Keta

In the past Rosco has sold me smaller quantities than 1000 and they have sent samples.  The wire size of the 5"s is strong enough +, the 5 is only 1/4" ID, the 5A is almost 1/2" ID.  I would go with either 5A or 5/16" ID 5B.

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on February 08, 2018, 08:33:45 AM
Mary's ?

My wife is the photographer in the family but she closed her studio and now has a pre school to keep her out of my hair.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Keta on February 08, 2018, 12:45:44 PM
In the past Rosco has sold me smaller quantities than 1000 and they have sent samples.  The wire size of the 5"s is strong enough +, the 5 is only 1/4" ID, the 5A is almost 1/2" ID.  I would go with either 5A or 5/16" ID 5B.

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on February 08, 2018, 08:33:45 AM
Mary's ?

My wife is the photographer in the family but she closed her studio and now has a pre school to keep her out of my hair.

I see.....well maybe Bryan has some?

Keta

If not I think I do but I will have to figure out what box they are in, I am moving out of the shop I have been in for 15 years and things are worse than usual.  How many are you looking for?

but why not just use split rings.  

I have had the line caught and damaged by a split ring and prefer silver brazed rings.  I ring my own live bait hooks too.

Mark Twain

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Keta on February 08, 2018, 01:23:55 PM
If not I think I do but I will have to figure out what box they are in, I am moving out of the shop I have been in for 15 years and things are worse than usual.  How many are you looking for?

but why not just use split rings.  

I have had the line caught and damaged by a split ring and prefer silver brazed rings.  I ring my own live bait hooks too.

Couple dozen its just needed on one particular type of tin.

mrwilson99

I prefer rosco butt rings over split rings, cleaner look to me. Some guy on bloodydeck ordered a while bunch and is selling them in small packs. Do a search there.
David

handi2

I lost a big Tuna from a welded split ring. I dont use them for anything. If a lure comes with them they get changed to a split ring.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

Order from left to right: 5, 5A, 5B
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: handi2 on February 12, 2018, 12:25:49 AM
I lost a big Tuna from a welded split ring. I dont use them for anything. If a lure comes with them they get changed to a split ring.
Depending on who's the lure manufacturer, I change out split rings or jump rings.  Some lures are provided with not so good quality components.

There are a few companies of split rings that I trust. Owner and Wolverine. If I'm only attaching my lure to a split ring and my assist hooks are attached to a solid ring, any cheap split ring will do for me.