Roll ur Own

Started by STRIPER LOU, February 18, 2018, 12:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

At the moment I have 71 knobs in que. They range anywhere from the material being cut, to WIP, and finished product. Work has been averaging at least 12hrs/day.

The pearl is quite popular at the shop but the price of material for this particular color has gone thru the roof. I've started to mix my own and after many trails and errors its coming out amazing.

If you want to do it right, its a definite chore. If the mix is too wet the colors settle out, to dry, setting up too quickly it doesn't blend well, if the temp and humidity aren't right it just doesn't cure the way I want it too. In addition I've been adding more pinks and blues and it really makes the colors pop.

I've been try to document everything to get some consistency. Of course no 2 pieces are alike as this is what gives them their character but there also has to be some repeatability to the process.  The other part that makes it difficult is I'm a bit fanatical and there's no cure for that!

I'm finding that one of the keys is running the heaters and the dehumidifier for at least 24 hrs as this can make a huge difference.

I've talked about the starburst material before and this one is an absolute killer to make. I now have a vertical mold attached to a plate and a speed controlled motor. When the timing is perfect the results are phenomenal! And when the timing isn't right, it comes out more like a swirled pattern which actually looks pretty darn good too.

Anyways, I thought I'd see what you think of the Pearl and its back to work. I have one more shaft to finish before I pack it in for the evening.

All have a good night,  ..   Lou

David Hall

Wow, that's the one for my silver T4N1, when you got one to spare.  It's a beauty.

happyhooker

coastal_dan

Stunning work, so fun watching an artisan at work.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tiddlerbasher

Lou I luv this stuff you are doing 8)

Bill B

Too many favorites to call one my favorite......One question where does one find the shaft that the knob mounts to?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

STRIPER LOU

Dave, that particular knob is an oversize, angled knob (9deg) for a 6/0. I did cast your pearl here at shop and it came out quite nice. All are different to a certain extent but it was a nice pour and I think you'll be happy with it.

Bill, the main shaft as is the tube is made right here in my shop from 316L stainless. Nothing gets sent out and the complete custom assembly is built here.

Frank, Dan, and Chris, Thanks for the comments, they're most appreciated. Its after 9:00, its time for a brandy and a soak in the tub!

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

Reel 224

Lou: the pearl handle is stunning. They are all great, I think I fell in love with with them> ;) :D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

Oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! 

oc1

You do incredible stuff Lou.  Keep it up, but watch out for those fumes.
-steve

Rivverrat

The pearl isnt for me. Though I sure like your others... Jeff

Keta

Darn those look nice!!!!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

STRIPER LOU

Steve, you are absolutely correct. The fumes are horrible! I wear a mask and have built a galvanized sheet metal box with a hinged lid.

It houses my rotary fixture, a fan, a small lamp, and some duct work to exhaust out my basement hatchway. I've noticed that the inside of the box is getting discolored, actually staring to turn sort of black.
At first  I thought it was caused by the heat generated from the lamp, but now I'm thinking its some type of out gassing like you would get from molded plastics. Obviously none of this is good for you!

I was hoping to be able to save a little money from casting my own but it hasn't really worked out that way at all. As in the case of the pearl color, there is a bit of advantage here because the material is so overpriced. Trying other materials is pretty much the same and costing even more. Did a bunch of carbon fiber knobs with various tints, ... amazing but costly and quickly abandoned.

Taking into consideration doing a custom pour, adding the shop made assembly, and taking 20/25 hrs to complete, the whole operation becomes impractical from a cost/time stand point.

I'm still casting on a very limited basis as I'm determined to get the starburst pattern developed. The other option is to pour outside. Temps and humidity have to be right and little or no wind. That has worked in the past but is definitely more inconvenient.

I can usually cut and machine a metal knob cheaper overall than doing the Acrylic.

That being said, there is nothing that comes even close to the beauty of the Acrylic. It takes a blah reel and makes it pop, and a custom reel to a whole new level. If you think it looks good in the pictures, seeing it in person brings out the "WOW factor"
For the time being I'm stuck until something better comes along.

The weather is terrible, 6" of snow and its blowing at times like whiteout conditions. Shop opens at 10 and I'm thinking despite the weather its going to be a busy day one way or another.

All have a great morning,  ..  Lou

Reel 224

Lou: Keep on making those handles....................oww my wife just pinched my fingers on my file cabinet and laughed like heck, darn.

Well getting back to the handles. They all look great and I have been in Lou's shop and seen what it takes to make those wonderful handles and yes they are more beautiful in person for sure.

Let me go and lick my wounds. Sorry Lou, Ruth tried say she was sorry but the laughter spoiled it. 

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

Joe, thanks for the kind words and have Ruth tend to your wounds!
My computer has been beeping like crazy and looks like everyone is planning to hit the shop after lunch. Guess I better get busy and not let any time go to waste.

..............Lou