Mitchell Garcia 408

Started by Swami805, February 23, 2018, 02:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Hi Sheridan —

Is the trip lever moving freely with your finger?

My remedy would be, if the lever is moving OK manually — remove the internal trip lever, spring, and screw.

Drop them all in lacquer thinner for 15 minutes — rinse, dry — then attach everything as pictured again — but this time, widen the spring legs a little to get more tension by bending slightly in the opposite direction.

You won't break anything, but if you do, I will send you a new spring.

Also check to make sure there are no burrs anywhere (including not being square where the trip lever rides on the bail return — and I always put (1/2) drop of oil under the trip lever where it attaches to the inside of the rotor, and (1/2) drop of oil under the head of the screw where it interacts with the spring. 

Hopefully this will take care of the issue.

90% of spinning reel problems have to do with something on the exterior being bent, tweaked, or worn over the years — particularly bail assemblies.  This sometimes results in an issue inside the rotor.

Let us know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Quote from: swill88 on February 23, 2018, 03:24:05 AM
Like the red high speed sticker :)

Nice reel.

The "High Speed" emblem came on a lot of the handles for the "newer" higher retrieve ratio reels; some, instead, had a stylized picture of a fish--still red background.

Frank

happyhooker

Emphasizing what others have said; open up the ball bearing at your own risk; it will be a large bit of work to put back together unless you're really expert in doing it.

Frank

Swami805

I have the lever working, it seems the spring had lost it's strength over time so I made a new one out of stainless wire. Now the bail doesn't snap all the way back so I'll see if I can make a new one. Thanks for your help. A bit more of a project than I thought. The outside cleaned up nicelt
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Swami805 on February 25, 2018, 02:08:36 AM
A bit more of a project than I thought.

You'll get it working correctly! That's what makes this hobby challenging, fun and interesting.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Swami805

I have the 408 cleaned and back together, the bail is working but not as crisp as I think it should be but the rest is very smooth. not sure why but there is some corrosion on the external bail parts and the chrome has a little pitting. Thanks for all the help, my first real foray into a spinning reel.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Danwin22

I have  pair of 308's and wanted a 408 but never did get one.
USAF 1958-'62   NRA Member

mo65

Glad you got it working Sheridan. I gotta get me a 408 someday...awesome little reels. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Quote from: mo65 on August 15, 2018, 02:30:22 PM
  I gotta get me a 408 someday...awesome little reels.

Well, I broke down and bought a 408, and brother, they ain't cheap! I got tired of waiting for a steal and gave $45 for this well used but still decent piece. Rather than start another thread, I decided to share my trials and tribulations right here and further the education all in one spot.
   This first pic with the side plate removed reveals why she's so stiff. Zoinks! Must be half a dozen greases in this thing. The anti-reverse dog isn't working...I assume it's probably all there...just fossilized. :D

Was all this sludge really in that tiny reel? Packing the gear case with heavy grease seems to be a very popular lubrication method. To each his own...I'm betting nothing is rusted inside anyway!

After the cleanup the gears look to be in great shape. All spacers, shims, and washers were still in place. A good indication the guys who packed in the goo didn't disassemble. If something doesn't fit quite right or feels weird on these old Mitchells, check a schematic. A missing thrust washer or shim can wreck these little guys' performance.

Things like the bail assembly and spool/drag washers have already been covered so let's take a closer look at that dreaded pinion bearing. This is the one you'll want to leave just as you see it below, not broken down any further. There's a nice wide gap for cleaning with compressed air or spray cleaner. I lubed with CorrosionX HD instead of grease for a more free feel.

Looking at it from the back you can see a second row of balls and the brass nut holding it all together. Resist temptation to back off that nut! Those balls do a better disappearing act than a Penn dog spring. :'(

The anti-reverse assembly must have just been weighed down. It works fine now, nice and snappy.

I elected to do a test run before lubing, just to make sure that all was well. I think I'll use Cal's purple on this one...or maybe Super Lube clear...flip a coin?

I couldn't resist putting a performance handle knob on this reel. It feels fantastic, more grip than stock, and the red highlights match the stock red Mitchell highlights perfectly. This one will be fishing soft plastics for bass, so I loaded 'er with red braid. 8)

foakes

Nice reel, great job, Mike —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Well done, Mike. Looks like you could have made a peanut butter sandwich out of that lube!   :D Pretty reel!

I may have you beat, though. :o More to come in another thread but below is a Zangi Delfino (Big Reel) I just opened up.   :P I had to use a utility knife to pry the side plate off. Some of the grease is as hard as bees wax and some of it is gooey and stickier than PL400.   ::) I've got my work cut out for me, that's for sure!.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 16, 2019, 02:38:09 AM
I've got my work cut out for me, that's for sure!.  ;)

Yeah, but that's no hill for a mountain climber, Tommy — looking forward to seeing the finished masterpiece.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on March 16, 2019, 04:27:39 AM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 16, 2019, 02:38:09 AM
I've got my work cut out for me, that's for sure!.  ;)

Yeah, but that's no hill for a mountain climber, Tommy

Don't do it Tommy...don't be a hero...wait for backup!! :D

festus

I checked the mail this morning and found this 408 that was the original topic of this thread.  Sheridan graciously passed it on to me.

After much trial and error, I solved the problem with the bail assembly. 

The pointed piece of the bail trip assembly that slides and slips into the circular groove on the bottom of the rotor was bent.  Also the spring was pretty much shot.  There was a spare spring that wouldn't work either.  I happened to have an old fully functioning 308 and swapped parts and got the trip lever to engage properly.  After several combinations of trying this spring and that trip lever, trying that spring and this trip lever, I determined both pieces were defective. 

So I left the parts inside the 408 and should be able to locate another spring and trip lever for my old, beat up 308.

I haven't popped the side plate and looked inside yet, but servicing the remainder of the reel shouldn't take nearly as much time as the bail assembly repair.

Thanks again, Sheridan!

mo65

I was looking at pics of the main gear in Chester's 408 and it has spiral cut gears. My 408 has straight cut gears like a 308. I thought maybe some wise guy slapped 308 gears in my 408 as a cheap "fix and flip", but my 408 is 5:1 while my 308 is 4.5:1! My question is, did Mitchell make some early 408s with 5:1 straight cut gears before settling on spiral cut 5.5:1? These early Mitchell ads are making me believe so. The first ad is from '64 and shows my straight cut pinion gear. The second ad is from '67 and shows the spiral cut pinion like all consecutive ads also show. Oh no...my eyes are going crossed...:-\