Okuma Andros 12N A Series Tutorial

Started by Rivverrat, March 18, 2018, 10:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Thanks Jeff, really great tutorial, good clear, detailing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

dang amigo Jeff, this is a great tutorial.
really awesome in detail and explanations

The Baja Guy

STRIPER LOU

Excellent job Jeff. Now I have a good place to send mine when I'm too busy!

Seriously, easy to follow and well done.

..........Lou

cwillis85

This is great, I was just thinking it was about time to service mine. This will definitely help.

Thanks
Chris

Rivverrat

Guys I greatly appreciate what's been said. To be completely honest I questioned my capacity to do this.

When I look at some here who have done great tutorials such as John T. whos tutorials are the epitome of such. Others here who have great mechanically, inclined minds & like wise the skilled hands to make real what their minds are thinking. There are some truly gifted, talented people here... Jeff  

Alto Mare

You did great Jeff! nice pics and details...good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

OK, now that most here have seen this I would like to hear some positive criticism.

Did I leave something out ? Do you like the reel ? Hate it?  Why did Okuma do that & not this ?  ETC...

No reel is perfect. Positive knowledgeable criticism is a very good thing... Jeff

mo65

That's great work Jeff. This reel is probably past my skill level, but I'd tear into it without fear using your tutorial. I can't believe you posted all the steps individually...must have taken a lot of time. Impressive determination brother! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on March 24, 2018, 10:36:24 PM
....This reel is probably past my skill level,     8)

Mike, based on some of your post I honestly find that hard to believe... Jeff

dreyna14

First-time poster, here.

Glad this was posted!  I finished up an 8-day last weekend and had to shelve an Andros 12 due to the anti-reverse crapping out on me.  Had the reel for a year and a half, never fished even once.  I opened it up on the boat to find that the little sheet metal pieces on the anti-reverse pawls had been stretched out.  I had opened the reel up to give everything a light coating of grease before the trip.  Apparently this had made the AR gear stick to the pinion drive pulling it away when the reel was put into freespool.  Looking at the above tutorial showed me that there should be a retainer plate covering the AR pawls.  Checked the schematic and sure as s*** item 201-1 was missing from my reel.

Now, I will admit that it may very well have been my fault because the suction created by the grease I applied seems to have made the parts stick together when the spool moves but missing components?  It appears that the 5 and 16 sized do not have this retainer but all the 12's should (why?).  Hoping to give Okuma a call tomorrow.  Anyone else with an Andros 12 have this part missing?

Rivverrat

The retaining / holder plate was an upgrade added later. Other makes of reels make use of this... Jeff

Oh.... welcome Here. Keep the questions coming.

Rivverrat

Being there are no perfect reels & neither am I. I will be adding to while also making what I believe are useful edits to this tutorial.

First up is the snap / retaining ring for the shift button. As this ring comes it sometimes can benefit from some proper filing or stoning as shown in the pics below.

First pic shows this retaining ring as it comes some times from the factory. If you look close at the ends in the second pic you will notice a difference in the angle. This can easily. be achieved with a stone or file.  This will help greatly in removing this ring when using a hook or pick etc. Other wise you can be left chasing this ring around in a circle.

If any one is having issue with a sticky shift lever, failure to go into gear or hold selected gear, bring it up & I'll do my best to walk you through possible fixes. Two of my reels have experienced this.

Overall this is a good 2 speed design. However it can be improved with some slight changes. My three 12's get used every week had one for around 3 years now.

Things will always show up with use. I still believe overall for the price & performance there are no better lever drags  made at present... Jeff    

Reel 224

Supper great job on that tutorial! :)...............Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Rivverrat

Joe, thanks that is really appreciated... Jeff

Wally15

Great tutorial. Thanks Jeff. I just did what you said we shouldn't do, I broke off one of the foot screws. Fortunately, only the head broke off and I managed to remove the screw with a heat gun and Kleins without damaging the threads. Lots of corrosion on all 4 four screw threads, unusual for a 2 year old reel that's only been exposed to salt water 3 or 4 times.

Now I'm in need of a 09301425 screw. Unlike my Andros 5, all 4 foot screws are the same length.

Anybody got a loose screw?  :D
Mike Pate
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor