IT`s a drag

Started by oldmanjoe, March 31, 2018, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Picked up some .50mm carbon fiber and some Cal`grease from Eric
    I have 3 different spools for the 270`s that i am going to add more to the stack .

For cutting the cf washers i use a 1/2 inch brass compression sleeve ,1/4 drive socket "11mm" and a 1/4 drive punch.
   After i cut the washer with the sleeve ,i drop the socket upside down in the sleeve .  This centers the 1/4 inch punch for the center cut.
   This will also work for the 330 size washers for out side diameter ,but you need to use a 5/16 punch for the center.     To center the punch i am going to use a 5/16 washer and trim the out side to fit inside the sleeve.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

ReelFishingProblems

Can't wait to see those reels in action

foakes

Good job, Joe!

Slightly loose around the edges and the center hole is always best — instead of tight.

Should do a good job with the Cal's.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

I haven`t found a way to hold the stock washers so i can cut them down yet .    So i cut a few out of .040 brass stock.
 The plastic spool now has a 4 stack .    The aluminum spool i was able to get a 5 stack in it .     I did lower the bottom of the well so that i can install the snap ring in with no pressure on the stack .      
 The odd ball aluminum spool that has no friction washer i put one in just to compare with another one with out .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

I made a mistake on the arrangement of washers in the above photo`s with the outside keys ......
Can`t slip with back to back outside keys.
new arrangement 

oldmanjoe

:) For the 330 size drag washers ,same outside od  but bigger id -5/16
  To center the punch 5/16 nut clean out the threads a little so the punch goes though and slight round over on the out side hex.   joe

Alto Mare

Good job punching those washers oldman! :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

;D  Yep i liking this 39 cent cutter...      Now to see if i can  3 dozen more washers .   joe

Dominick

Good going oldman.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Dang Joe, I had no idea you could punch out that stuff with brass.  This changes everything.  Is that a copper punch too?  Thanks for the tip.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on April 03, 2018, 10:04:44 AM
Dang Joe, I had no idea you could punch out that stuff with brass.  This changes everything.  Is that a copper punch too?  Thanks for the tip.
-steve
Yup, brass does a good job, but needs to be sharp.
Before I purchased these:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7996.msg195982#msg195982
couldn't find anything to punch 13/8", so I made my own using a sink faucet that I replaced and worked like a charm ;)
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7996.msg136641#msg136641

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on April 03, 2018, 10:04:44 AM
Dang Joe, I had no idea you could punch out that stuff with brass.  This changes everything.  Is that a copper punch too?  Thanks for the tip.
-steve
[/quote  

:) :)    It`s both ,     I started with just the compression sleeve after about 6 cuts ,the sleeve was pretty well  peen over.
                   So i came up with the copper driver .    I will punch a coulp of washers with just the copper tube for the 330 , I think they will fit better in the well.
  The one`s that i cut with the brass need a little sanding on the od    joe

Midway Tommy

If you make a new punch stick a piece of copper with a cap in the hammer end of the coupling & solder it. Then the coupling edge won't flare out when you hit it. A guy should be able to sharpen that brass compression ring a few times with a file before it's no good, I would think. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

There is a whole world of carbon fiber punches on the plumbing isle.  I can't wait.  Keeping the cutting edge straight and square might be the hardest part.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on April 04, 2018, 06:36:04 AM
There is a whole world of carbon fiber punches on the plumbing isle.  I can't wait.  Keeping the cutting edge straight and square might be the hardest part.
-steve

A nice piece of solid oak or maple under the CF should help keep the cutting edge from dulling for a little while.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)