Harnell Unlimited rod question ?

Started by 54bullseye, May 19, 2018, 09:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris

Hi all,

Just to say that I have a harness Royal VII which is labelled 180lb-unlimited. The whippings were originally the same as those on the rod 5th down in the picture of that great collection i.e. light green underwrap with mottled or flecked green overwrap with yellow trim bands. The hand grip is the same white rubber and the butt is black wood - RS6H Varmac reel seat, same as on the Royal VI 130lb (which I passed up buying years ago, to my regret!).

I also have the 80lb version - the Royal V. This uses the Varmac RS5H but is otherwise a perfect match.

Both needed rewrapping because the overwraps had frayed and rotted somewhat, though the under wraps are fine. I couldn't get the same flecked green for the overwrap and so I've used plain dark green - looks nice.

No epoxy though; instead I've used many, many thin coats of copal varnish to retain the original, slightly battle-scarred, finish.

Somewhere I have some photos and I'll try to post them.

thorhammer

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....teasing us....please with pics!

BTW i think Voodoo Rods / Tackle may have some variegated thread in green

oc1

Way to go Chris.  I think it is a sin to put epoxy on a classic rod that was originally varnished.  It's difficult (maybe impossible) to know exactly what the varnish formulation was but copal is such classic you can't go wrong with it.
-steve

UKChris

Pictures! I have uploaded some pictures into 'Chris's' gallery but trying to get them to appear here is completely beyond me. The instructions are perfectly unintelligible! To me, photos and computers are a match made on the dark side...

Chris

Swami805

I restore a fair amount of classic rods, if the person is planning to fish it epoxy, if it's a wall hanger varnish. The varnish just doesn't take abuse very well.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

John, here is a much later Harnell that also has the Gladding name on the label, which I don't recall ever seeing in the past.  It has been re-wrapped and I would guess that the Tycoon Fin-Nor guides and Aftco Unibutt are not original, but it's still a cool rod and would be a good match for the 20/0 Senator.

Thanks,

Randy

54bullseye

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on May 26, 2018, 05:17:43 PM
John, here is a much later Harnell that also has the Gladding name on the label, which I don't recall ever seeing in the past.  It has been re-wrapped and I would guess that the Tycoon Fin-Nor guides and Aftco Unibutt are not original, but it's still a cool rod and would be a good match for the 20/0 Senator.

Thanks,

Randy
Randy thanks for the reply ! I have Dave Turner wrapping me a nice 130 CalStar blank with an old school Lakeland reel seat that is connected to a beautiful wood butt and I had a new set of Fin-Nor Tycoon roller guides  to put on it !! It will be all ready for PEI next fall 2019. Would go this year but hunting in Montana for Elk so would mess up work.   John Taylor

UKChris

Interesting about the varnish vs epoxy. I have had some 'using' rods where the epoxy has cracked around the guide feet but my plain varnished rods have actually held up better as there is some flexibility in the varnish.

Mind you, i'm talking about fifteen coats! With each taking anything from three to seven days to dry, it is a labour of love!

Sorry about the photos of my rod, but I guess you can see them if you go to gallery.

Regarding the Unibutt and Fin Nor guides, indeed those would certainly have been later additions from the rebuild. All the originals had Mildrum guides for the 80, 130 and Unlimited classes, though the 50lb and below had Aftco rollers ( the half-moon shaped ones as the HD guides had not yet been produced).

I acquired a Varmac RS6H and bent unibutt that came with a lovely 130lb Fenwick in white glass with the brown/yellow/orange whippings. It means that if I ever wanted to fish this unlimited beast, I'd have the right butt to do so - not sure I'd want to use the wooden butt in anger.

I also got the brown Fenwick 130lb as used in Jaws, though with a stainless steel butt rather than the brown wood of the film.

Got to love these monster rods!

The Great Maudu

John I have a new, unmolested Harnell Unlimited Class rod in my collection. Do you still need pics? Here is a link to a post I made about it awhile back.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23512.0

54bullseye

Mike I remember seeing that rod what a beauty !!! I needed pictures of the "Royal" series Unlimited though. I have bought one that is in pretty nice shape since I started this thread and have come to the conclusion that the original rod I posted pics of was what Harnell called there kit rod and was slightly shorter than the production model. I also decided to leave it alone and not redo it I am just going to use some spar varnish to keep loose threads together. Thanks for reminding me of that beautiful rod you bought for a few PENNIES !!!!!    John Taylor

day0ne

Quote from: 54bullseye on July 15, 2018, 03:04:58 AM
Mike I remember seeing that rod what a beauty !!! I needed pictures of the "Royal" series Unlimited though. I have bought one that is in pretty nice shape since I started this thread and have come to the conclusion that the original rod I posted pics of was what Harnell called there kit rod and was slightly shorter than the production model. I also decided to leave it alone and not redo it I am just going to use some spar varnish to keep loose threads together. Thanks for reminding me of that beautiful rod you bought for a few PENNIES !!!!!    John Taylor

If you noticed the decal on the rod, it says that it is 6'10"
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

54bullseye

Quote from: day0ne on July 15, 2018, 06:04:20 AM
Quote from: 54bullseye on July 15, 2018, 03:04:58 AM
Mike I remember seeing that rod what a beauty !!! I needed pictures of the "Royal" series Unlimited though. I have bought one that is in pretty nice shape since I started this thread and have come to the conclusion that the original rod I posted pics of was what Harnell called there kit rod and was slightly shorter than the production model. I also decided to leave it alone and not redo it I am just going to use some spar varnish to keep loose threads together. Thanks for reminding me of that beautiful rod you bought for a few PENNIES !!!!!    John Taylor

If you noticed the decal on the rod, it says that it is 6'10"

Well I think number one it's a newer rod than mine "mine was from 1954 or 55" Mikes has the white fore grip which came later and number two it's not a Royal series rod it's the red and yellow wrapping. If you look back through the catalogs it will drive you nuts with changes through the years and each model has different features some seem to even contradict the catalogs ????  I give up there all neat rods no matter of length !!!!!
John Taylor

theswimmer

Quote from: Swami805 on May 26, 2018, 04:28:39 PM
I restore a fair amount of classic rods, if the person is planning to fish it epoxy, if it's a wall hanger varnish. The varnish just doesn't take abuse very well.

Thank you Sheridan.
No wall hangers at my place....
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Shark Hunter

Quote from: The Great Maudu on July 15, 2018, 02:47:35 AM
John I have a new, unmolested Harnell Unlimited Class rod in my collection. Do you still need pics? Here is a link to a post I made about it awhile back.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23512.0
I've seen those and they are off the Hook. Unmolested, Well taken care of. Best of the Best. Cream of the Crop in the original Sleeves!
Sorry, but I don't own one single Harnell.
Life is Good!

captjpjaus

I own the same Harnell with the original wrapping. It has the Royal Unlimited label.20220917_203328.jpg20220917_203345.jpg20220917_203347.jpg20220917_203356.jpg20220919_190752.jpg20220919_190827.jpg