what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

this is more to help me keep track than anything else.  i'm going to try to keep a photo record of the reels that i work on.  you might find something here of interest.  you will certainly get an idea of the variety of reels that i work on!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

a lightly used penn torque 40 narrow.  not in for service, just had to repack the 80 pound braid.  the braid was peeled off, then repacked under 15 pounds of pressure.  it had 500 yards total with a short 80 pound topshot of probably fluoro.  the drag was set to 30 pounds of drag at strike, which gave me 25 pounds a full and 30 pounds at sunset.  beautiful reel!

alantani

penn fathom 40 narrow, in for rigging only, not service.  held 400 yards of seaguar threadlock 80 pound hollow and a 50 yards topshot of 50 pound big game, 15 pounds of drag at strike 23 at full and 30 at sunset.  it really ramps up fast.  i would have preferred to see 15 at strike, 20 at full and 25 at sunset.  still an awesome reel. 

redsetta

I can see already this is going to become a favourite thread!
The line choices and drag numbers are fascinating.
Looking forward to seeing what's next.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

andros 5 two speeds this time.  200 yards of 60 pound seaguar threadlock with a 5 yard topshot of 40# berkely big game, drags set to 12 pounds at strike, giving you 25 pounds at full.  that increase is WAY too high.  never knew before that it would jump that much because i never checked.   :-\

Tiddlerbasher

My Andros 5 is set at 10lbs Strike 20lbs Full - loaded with 60lbs Fireline Tracer - Leader variable :-\ Had this reel for a while - I still love it :)

Benni3

Good job alan,,,,, I'm going to love this thread,,,keep them coming  ;D

alantani

ugghhhh!!!!  this one was miserable.  took 3 hours!  had to replace the breaker and the relay, because both looked bad and i wasn't sure which one it was.  also had to replace some of the metal friction plates.  one of the owners had it apart and really messed it up, then decided to wash it, probably by dunking it into the ocean.  also replaced the short arm with an extendable boom arm.  oh, and did i mention that this downrigger now has greased carbon fiber drag washers?  i had a friend of mine once warn me that i should be careful about what i get good at!   :-\

and here's the rusted relay switch!

alantani

the graphite shimano reels have always been a favorite of mine.  still, i wish they would make a couple of upgrades.  greased carbon fiber drags would be nice, more stainless steel instead of chromed brass or anodized aluminum, and decent handles. 

alantani

another tld 15.  got a nasty surprise out of this one!

alantani

and just when i thought it couldn't get any more interesting.  yeah, same reel as above...... 

thorhammer

Quote from: alantani on May 22, 2018, 01:52:09 AM
ugghhhh!!!!  this one was miserable.  took 3 hours!  had to replace the breaker and the relay, because both looked bad and i wasn't sure which one it was.  also had to replace some of the metal friction plates.  one of the owners had it apart and really messed it up, then decided to wash it, probably by dunking it into the ocean.  also replaced the short arm with an extendable boom arm.  oh, and did i mention that this downrigger now has greased carbon fiber drag washers?  i had a friend of mine once warn me that i should be careful about what i get good at!   :-\

Are those lubricants in back specific to downrigger repair? :)

Tiddlerbasher

Benni3

Quote from: alantani on May 22, 2018, 06:19:40 AM
and just when i thought it couldn't get any more interesting.  yeah, same reel as above...... 

as advertised on ebay has line on it ;D

alantani

Quote from: thorhammer on May 22, 2018, 10:47:56 AM
Quote from: alantani on May 22, 2018, 01:52:09 AM
ugghhhh!!!!  this one was miserable.  took 3 hours!  had to replace the breaker and the relay, because both looked bad and i wasn't sure which one it was.  also had to replace some of the metal friction plates.  one of the owners had it apart and really messed it up, then decided to wash it, probably by dunking it into the ocean.  also replaced the short arm with an extendable boom arm.  oh, and did i mention that this downrigger now has greased carbon fiber drag washers?  i had a friend of mine once warn me that i should be careful about what i get good at!   :-\

Are those lubricants in back specific to downrigger repair? :)

they're for the tech at the end of the evening!   ;D