what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Guys, please warn us by announcing the graphic nature of photographs like that.  Unfortunately I viewed them just after eating and now I have an empty stomach.   :'( :'( Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: alantani on May 24, 2018, 04:55:31 AM
i started out here in the garage at 7am and it's now 10pm.  time really flies when you are doing something that you enjoy!

I have the same brand in 20year old smooooooth as heck!!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

had to redo this but it came out nice!  it took a long time to scrub out the surface corrosion.  i need a buffer!  everything was lightly greased.  it has greased carbon fiber drag washers, a stainless steel gear sleeve, a 24-56 jigmaster power handle and it took 500 yards of 80 pound braid.  on that last part, i was shocked!  that hotrodded senator that you guys made for me only took 300 yards and a narrow avet hxj also only takes 300 yards.  fortunately, i made a special purchase of seaguar threadlock hollow 80 in green and i only charge 12 cents per yard.  i think most shops charge between 20 and 30 cents. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

this is the charter boat squidder from earlier.  it's the reel with the blown spool.  randy pauly was nice enough to send a new aluminum spool (thanks, randy!) and that is what will be going into the reel when i ship it back.  however, i decided to try to press the spool back into shape, and it kinda worked.  looks like hell because i lined it up crooked, but it would actually work.  it would also probably just blow out again later, but maybe we don't have to automatically throw these away anymore! 

Reel 224

Alan; that spool looks like it was separated at the none handle side at the base were the small cup meets the bell flare. Is there a space between that and the spool side?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

nope, it's actually solid!  i was looking for gaps and there were none!

sabaman1

Awesome job on the Penn 49, looks like a new reel!
JIM

alantani

next up.  these poor guys have been sitting since the beginning of april. they're going to take some time.  i see a fair amount of corrosion. 

alantani

when selecting a reel, it would be good to know the purchase price, the warranty time, and the maintenance costs to get a better idea of the true cost of ownership.  let's say you own a trinidad 20A and you need to replace the spool bearing on the left side. 

yeah, the one all the way down here. 

in order to get to this one bearing, you have to do this........

so you open up the reel and you see this!  there was a reason that the left spool bearing failed.  there was fairly extensive water intrusion into the reel.  in all fairness, this happens alot. 

as you go through the reel, you find that EVERY bearing has failed!

so let's go through the list.

outer handle grip bearing 4x9x4 - $11
inner handle grip bearing 5x9x3 - $9
drive shaft bearing 8x12x3.5 - $12
right side plate pinion support bearing 7x13x4 - $9
base plate pinion support bearing 10x15x4 - $14
right spool bearing 6x12x4 - $9
left spool bearing 4x11x4 - $12

total bearing cost $76, and that's just the cost of bearings.  oh, and did i mention that the reel was out of warranty.   :-\

Benni3

Keep them doggies movin',,,,,just rope'em,throw,and braid'em,,,,,great job alan I love this tread ;D keep'em movin'

Alto Mare

He's just showing off how many you could get off the bench😁

Good job Boss!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marcq

I don't like reel with lots of bearing, not sure I ever own a reel with more then two bearings , hmmm!

Marc..

Ron Jones

Um,
Surfmaster...
Zero bearings!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

Makes me wanna dig into some a my more complicated/modern/expensive reels more often and make sure the ball bearings are OK. Thankfully we've learned the cost of pre-fishing service and "Tani-izing" reels during ANY service.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

the accurate valiant took on an open drag design, similar to the avet.