what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

here is the drag curve.  it's 30 pounds at the 12 o'clock postion, 40 pounds at strike and 50 pounds at full.  this curve is a function of both the bellevilles and the cam.  well, the bellevilles are about as stiff as i can make them, so now it's all about the cam. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel 224

That is impressive. But a lot of pressure on full. Lets hope the reel isn't needed in full for long...............Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

this reel should be able to maintain this level for hours with no problem. 

alantani

ok, the last 50 class avet.  40 pounds of drag a strike and 45 pounds at full.  gonna do the standard service and change out the bellevilles just like the last two.  stand by.......

Reel 224

Alan: do you do a ()/() or something other configuration?....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

actually it was "|))))" with one of the bellevilles being a thicker one that i luckily had in inventory. 

Ron Jones

I've seen your garage, luck had nothing to do with it!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

that i had it in inventory or that i was able to find it?   ;D

Ron Jones

OK,
It was lucky that you found it. But I'll bet there is a bag of main gears for zebco spin casters in there that you don't even know about!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Reel 224

A man's mess is a sign of his sanity, and a organized mess is a sign of genius! ;) ;D...................Joe 

alantani

well, i do know where to find a set of four main and pinions for the progear classic series 500's.....

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
"

alantani

years ago, i hailed avet's old 4/01 as the best in it's class. when they insisted on keeping their dry drags after every other manufacturer went with greased drags, i decided to let them go their own way. with this batch of four big avets that were sent in for service, i decided to take another look. the big 50's lacked the drag range that i typically look for in a 130 pound class reel. their drag range is more suitable for a 100 ;pound class reel. this pro exw 4/02 is another story. i repacked the braid and found a mix of 600 yards total of 80 pound solid and hollow. i was then able to easily set the drags to 25 pounds at strike and 40 pounds at full. that gives me the 30% strike/50% full settings that i look for. the drag were sticky as hell, but at least the proper range was there, cal's grease and a standard service will fix all of that. finally, a reel with the drag range that i look for. this is shaping up to be a great 80 pound class reel.

redsetta

This is probably my favourite thread, thanks Alan.
So a quick Q&A, if you don't mind:
I'm currently running 30 strike/40 full on my 80lb reel and 40/50 on my 100lb reel.
80lb/100lb braid backing respectively, but 50lb mono topshot on my 80 and 80lb mono topshot on my 100.
Am I undermining the logic?
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

using the 30% strike/50% full guidelines, it's not what i would typically use.  i would usually recommend 500 yards of 80 braid, a 25 yard topshot of 80 fluoro, 25 pounds of drag at strike 40 pounds at full, and a rod to match.  the 100 pound reel would be 700 yards of 100 pound braid, a 25 yard topshot of 100 pound fluoro, 30 pounds at strike and 50 pounds at full.  so there is both line capacity and drag range to consider.  and then you have to get a rod to match.