what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

That's why I don't like working on European cars,,,, ;) but you will get this running better than a swiss watch ,,,,,,, ;D

thorhammer

Hey Boss, does that shift or is it a synchro like the 8000 you did for me? I remember seeing those in the first BPS catalogs we ever got- around 1988.

alantani

well, it shifts automatically.  i think they are all the same.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brendan

I think the syncro drag could be backed off by turning the handle backwards to lighten the drag setting. Then forward to return to the original setting. I had one, I think it's in Hawaii now
Tight lines, Brendan.

alantani

this came in from the east coast. the owner wanted it dialed back a little. normally this reel would be loaded with 600 yards of 130 pound braid and a 130 pound fluoro topshot, but the request here was for a 100 yard 80 pound topshot. had to soften up the belleville stack from "(()))" to "()()" to get the proper drag range. when i was spooling it up, i found a problem with the low gear. had to replace it and the cross bar because it was slipping. you see this with the both the older penn vs/vsx line and the makaira 20's. a new cross bar and low speed main gear took care of that issue. the drag curve is really nice! in the video, you can see the problem with the low gear. it's the type of thing that you would only figure out with the reel on the winder (or when you're fighting a fish).  it's all done now. came out really nice!!!!!

alantani

"but i only fished with it once!!!!"   i hear that alot........

Gfish

Whatza most foolproff(waterproff) conventional anyone knows of?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Hmm?  How many times do I fish this reel before I wash the salt off?  Surely more than one time...  ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

yeah, my bad.  i thought this was one of his new reels, but it turns out that this one is two years old!

Fishy247

But why would I need it serviced BEFORE I go fishing?   ;)

Benni3

Quote from: Fishy247 on January 10, 2020, 10:00:47 PM
But why would I need it serviced BEFORE I go fishing?   ;)
if you only freshwater fishing a vsx50 for stripers and largemouth bass your ok,,,,,, ;) if not alan's got problems,,,,,, ;D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

This was done a while ago...sorry, I like to go back and read again at times when things are very interesting to me :)

As shims, a spacer does great things on fishing reels, are you still using Teflon?
Those will get the job done, but you might be better off with a Delrin spacer.
Delrin material doesn't compress as easy as the Teflon, it contains Nylon, making much harder but still just as slippery...just a thought :).

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

february will be the month for the big push to clear out everything.  this was a good start.  five shimano tld 25's from the east coast.  the customer had some aftermarket handles with aluminum arms.  after a year they were all corroded and bent!  of all the reels i work on, the single speed shimano tld 20/25's are the most expensive to bring up to speed, even straight out of the box.  basic lever drag service is $40, plus $19 for a carbontex washer and $43 for a stainless steel and delron 5/0 handle.  they'll hold 350 yards of straight 50# mono.  after a little hot rodding, it's easy to get 15 pounds at strike.  they're a little old school, but still great reels!!!!

Shark Hunter

Never Been a TLD Fan, but those look ready to go after the AT Treatment. Good Work Boss. ;)
Life is Good!