what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Got a small question on a stock 50vsx at 3.5 on the drag  lever,,,how many pounds of drag is it,,,,,, :D I have checked but my scale is a hundred years old and is 100lbs,,,,, :D it justed laughed at me,,,,,,,,,, ;D

alantani

gotta order up a better scale.  you should be able to get 40 pounds of drag at strike!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Benni3

Quote from: alantani on February 12, 2020, 02:49:27 AM
gotta order up a better scale.  you should be able to get 40 pounds of drag at strike!
Thanks my friend,,,,, ;) I got to figure out the drag curve and how that works,,,,,,,, ;D

alantani

penn vsx 16, bellevilles were already in a "(())" configuration but it looks like someone had already cracked the reel open.  i did a full service, loaded it with 500 yards of 100 pound solid j-braid and 25 yard topshot of 80# big game.  when i set the drag to 25 pounds at strike, i got 50 pounds at full.  this should be enough to stop any florida reef donkey.

Benni3

Great job Alan,,,, ;) I'm seeing alot of big fish getting in on this reel,,,,,,, ;D

thorhammer

alantani

the topshot connection is a modified tony pena.  it's a four turn uni knot on the mono side and 8-up then 10-down on the braid side.  my favorite knot. 

alantani

perfection straight out of the box. the makaira 50. um, well, the wide version in this case. 900 yards of braid, i think it's 200 pound braid. i set it up as a 130 pound reel. you can see how the drag progression is pretty much perfect. i don't know how you beat this.

thorhammer

Quote from: alantani on February 25, 2020, 04:19:08 AM
the topshot connection is a modified tony pena.  it's a four turn uni knot on the mono side and 8-up then 10-down on the braid side.  my favorite knot. 

Sounds easier than Bimini- I've been using triple surgeon loop then double uni which has worked fine on fish up to 75 lbs but want to go a bit sturdier on the heavier stuff. I'll look it up. Thanks!

sabaman1

Thats really amazing you can pull those numbers as you progress and no locking down! Wish all the other reel manufacturers would work on having such a smooth progression. Rather than just max drag numbers! GO OKUMA!!!
JIM

mo65

Quote from: sabaman1 on February 25, 2020, 04:10:53 PM
Thats really amazing you can pull those numbers as you progress and no locking down! Wish all the other reel manufacturers would work on having such a smooth progression. Rather than just max drag numbers! GO OKUMA!!!

Agreed!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

alantani

when i talk about older reel designs, it usually comes down to the drag cam. line capacities can be the same, gear ratios can be the same, and drag surface areas can be the same. what separates older reels from the newer ones is the cam. it's the cam that determines the drag profile. newer reels have a profile that can deliver a drag range that is nearly a straight line from zero at free to 50% of the line weight at full. you saw the makaira 50 that was set up for a 130 pound fluoro topshot. the strike setting was 40 pounds (near 30%) and the full setting was 65 pounds (50% of the line weight). here's an example of an older design. it's a shimano tiagra 20 and this is possibly a 30 year old design. this reel is loaded with 300 yards of 80 pound solid braid and 100 yards of 60 pound mono. the cam is sloped so that it ramps up quickly to 20 pounds, which is 33% of the topshot weight. then the cam is nearly flat past strike, so that the drag at full is only 25 pounds, or 42%. not bad, but it could be better. want to know how well your reels perform? get a spring scale and a sharpie, and start checking your reels!!!!!

alantani

had to torch this one.  as much as i'd like to have left it, i can't......

Rivverrat

Looks like you got that one none to soon. I'll bet it cleans up nice though... Jeff

alantani

uggghhhhhh!!!! more talicas! this particular reel has six bearings. four are bad and have to be replaced. corrosion everywhere!!! everything has to come apart, you have to apply a light coat of grease, and then it has to go back together. very tedious, very time consuming. if the non-spool bearings had been fully packed with grease, at least some of the cost could have been avoided. i'll also need to rerig the braid. it's pretty beat up. don't worry, melynda, i'll have it running for you in no time!!!!!