what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Gee Alan, this is a good post, the value we all get from you, is just great, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

i can't believe i'm actually saying this about a shimano reel. don't crack open the new tekota 500 hg line counter to do a pre-service before you fish with it. you don't need to.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

I have several of the older model tekotas and I love them only improvement I made was greased carbon fiber drag washers and replaced the plastic bushing with a bronze one.  I bought one of these new models last year and it's a fantastic bay reel, I troll salmon with it and it's great for mooching.

Lunker Larry

You sure you just didn't stumble across one that was done properly Alan? I do Tekotas all the time and some (few) are greased well while others looked like they missed that part on the construction line.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

alantani

i guess i could have jumped the gun, but i was told that this one had never opened. 

David Hall

its the new model that "Improved".  smaller, lighter, and stronger.
Just bought another one, from Hanks

Hardy Boy

I have never seen one with grease in it.

Todd
Todd

alantani

Bellevilles were changed over to a "((())" configuration to steepen the drag profile,  the drag pressure plate was shimmed to keep it straight,  the right spool bearing was shimmed,  the white canvas drag washer was replaced with greased carbon fiber,  a signature handle was installed,  the reel was loaded with 500 yards of daiwa j-braid x4,  I was able to fit 150 yards of 40 pound Berkley big game,  and the drag was set to 12 pounds at strike and 20 pounds at full (30% and 50%).

oc1

Nice touch with both the drag and line stickers.
-steve

alantani

Wow!!!!

nelz

Yeah, wow indeed. What reel is that?

Joao Tavares

Cool reel. Appears to be all aluminum. Are you going to do a full service on it?

Curious to see the insides.

Cheers

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

oc1

mhc

Quote from: oc1 on July 20, 2020, 09:41:07 AM
How did they do that?
-s

Splash anodizing Steve - The surface of the Al is porous when it comes out of the bath and will accept dye until it's sealed in hot water or a propriety sealing solution with nickel acetate or some secret mixture.  I don't know for sure but it looks like this one would have first been dyed red then randomly wiped with a masking agent. The unmasked areas were then bleached to remove the red from the unmasked areas and then dyed yellow/gold. Masking agent was then dribbled or splashed where they wanted the yellow to stay and then bleach the rest of the yellow out of the unmasked area and dye the rest black. Then remove all the masking agent to uncover the masked red and yellow pattern and seal the surface to trap the dye. It's not as simple as that to do it properly and the grown-up anodizers that specialize in custom finishes on paint-ball guns and stuff keep their secret techniques and dyes pretty close to their chest.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.