what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: nelz on July 20, 2020, 03:11:59 AM
Yeah, wow indeed. What reel is that?

Quote from: redsetta on July 20, 2020, 08:44:42 AM
A Tiburon/Shimano Magnum?

The guts and right side plate are from a Shimano TLD 20 2 speed.

The aluminum frame upgrades are available through WilFish Tackle in Auburn, CA, and there is some ordering info on Bloody Decks by the 'new' owner of the tackle shop, and is available in different colors (the reel you see has had additional customizing).  If you ship them your TLD 2 speed, they will do the conversion and ship the completed reel back to you, with your additional old parts.
The original owners of WilFish Tackle were long rangers that wanted a lighter reel than the Tiagras/Internationals.  They had a machinist develop a frame for a 2 speed Shimano TLD 50 for cow and super cow YFT, maybe 20 years ago.  Once that design was produced, they introduced frames for the 2 speed Shimano TLD 30 and TLD 20 reels.  The WilFish frames have the distinctive "GAME OVER" logo on the side plate.  You can also have the drag plates upgraded on the 20 and 30 to the 50 size.

Tiburon frames are similarly designed with "TIBURON" on the side plate and "MAGNUM" on one of the cross bars.   

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

An all aluminum, TLD 20 2 speed with a 50 drag plate sounds like quite a reel. Must be a heck of a lot of money to get there.
Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

sigh....  remember the dark days when accurates had dry drags?  this is going to take a while to clean up.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Benni3

That is a great reel,,, >:( but not was not taken care of,,,,  ;D

Dominick

That looks like the only thing that will clean it is using toilet bowl cleaner.   ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

Quote from: Dominick on November 20, 2020, 11:40:57 PM
That looks like the only thing that will clean it is using toilet bowl cleaner.   ::)  Dominick
It does look like a toilet O-ring,,,,,, ;D

alantani

ok, ok, i know.  friends don't let friends fish with 80.  well, if you're gonna fish 80, here you go! 

100 yards of red 80 pound jb hollow.

100 yards of yellow 80 pound jb hollow.

100 yards of green 80 pound jb hollow.

100 yards of white 80 pound jb hollow.

100 yards of 80 pound jb hollow "decade" that changes color every 10 yards.

a standard 25 yard topshot, mono in this case.

so that's 500 yards of 80 pound jb, each section spliced together with a 5 to 6 foot splices, then the braid to a 25 yard mono topshot with a modified tony pena.  the knot i use is a four-turn uni on the mono side and then 8-up, 10-down on the braid side. 

setting the drags on these reels is always easy.  i'll set the drag to 25 pound at strike (just a tad over 30%) and then everything falls in line.

i'll get a perfect 40 pounds of drag (50%) at full.

add the lugs and the clamp and we're all done.  william, your reel is ready!!!!!

Tiddlerbasher

Boss - Have you ever spliced the topshot directly into the JB hollow with a ca serve (wrapped in ptefe tape until cured)? No knot scenario!

foakes

No one does it better than Alan!

Impressive!

Thanks for showing us, Alan.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 21, 2020, 12:24:11 PM
Boss - Have you ever spliced the topshot directly into the JB hollow with a ca serve (wrapped in ptefe tape until cured)? No knot scenario!

not sure what a ca serve is.  i've done regular serves before.  i think they're more trouble than they are worth.   :-\

Ron Jones

CA is super glue (I don't know why we insist on trying to spell Cyanoacrylate) just like an adjustable open end wrench is a crescent wrench (notice, no proper noun usage.)

I'm still relegated to surgeons loop to surgeons loop, but it works or my nightmare execution of the Yucatan, but they work if need be. Otherwise, I get Alsion to spend time with Joy.

Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
"

alantani

got it!  nah, i never use glue on any of my knots.  i figure if the knot itself won't hold, i shouldn't be using it.

alantani

had a choice between 600 yards of 60 pound jb hollow or 400 yards of 80 pound jb hollow.  i went with the 80 pound.  plus a 25 yard topshot of 60 pound mono for now.  we'll likely change it out to fluorocarbon later.  the drag profile was nice.  the advantage of the new penn visx line is that you can set the drag at full, then work backwards and set strike anywhere you want.  i set the drag to 30 pounds at full.  the throw is a little short to get to strike, but it's perfectly manageable.  the numbers tell you exactly where you are.  being able to move the strike stopper, and even install a second stopper, is a very nice feature.