what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

hm...i have at this moment a screw sheared off in a newell 501 base...sure no one's seen that before...1/32 coming up.

alantani

that and a micro screw extractor!  it it's an aluminum base, then torch it first!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

it is Al, noted! Thanks! I think I have an extractor somewhere in here....

alantani

if you know, you know......

alantani

The new Tekota 500 HG line counter. Shimano put all greased carbon fiber drag washers in this reel. It took them long enough. I still found plenty of dry spots where salt water will stick. So, Shimano, if you're listening, I'd recommend a light coat of grease all throughout the reel to fight corrosion. 

foakes

Alan!

What's with the capitalization?

Never seen you do that before...

😄😄😄 Best,Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

David Hall

That reminds me my tekota 300 hg is still in my truck after fishing all season and the drag was getting sticky.  Needs a good cleaning and going through.

alantani

do me a solid and scrub it down with an old toothbrush and soap.  hey, even toothpaste would be fine!  i'm sure the missus wouldn't mind sacrificing a toothbrush.  then swing by and drop if off.  if you promise to be really quiet so that joy won't notice,  you can sit and have a scotch.  i should be able to knock it out pretty quick.  you can grab your norchill bag also!!!! 

Gfish

The Tekota looks like it's got an under-gear cf. Is that factory or an upgrade?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

yes, the drag washer under the main gear is greased carbon fiber.  after all these years of telling people to do this, they are finally listening. 

Bill B

Guess if you bang the drum long enough someone will finally listen....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Lunker Larry

just did a 600HG and was not impressed. Lots of plastic and just not up to the original Tekotas. Realty felt chintzy to me. The one I worked on had the idler gear post sheared off from the plastic side case.
The owner also said he wasn't impressed with the reel so he's bought a few Penn Fathoms to try out this spring
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Rivverrat

Quote from: Lunker Larry on April 09, 2021, 11:51:52 PM
just did a 600HG and was not impressed. Lots of plastic and just not up to the original Tekotas. Realty felt chintzy to me. The one I worked on had the idler gear post sheared off from the plastic side case.
The owner also said he wasn't impressed with the reel so he's bought a few Penn Fathoms to try out this spring

I find the Fathoms to be a much better reel. Few complaints from Fathom users. With star or lever drag ... Jeff

alantani

Any 20 minute job is one broken screw away away from being a 2 hour ordeal