Penn Senator 16/0 drag issue

Started by Rosgood14, May 28, 2018, 12:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rosgood14 on May 30, 2018, 12:19:12 PM
No, the cone shape should always be facing up. Sorry, I thought you had it in the other way.
On some reels the threads on the star could actually go bad, but I have ever seen this on the larger Senator, only on the smaller.
As Shark Hunter has suggested, You might just need to add another washer. It could be metal, or another carbon fiber at the base.

Sal

Ok just to clarify is this cone down or cone up. The threads look good and the drag star is definitely tightening down. It's gonna be a few days before I can work on ge reel but I appreciate y'all help and I'll let you know what I figure out next.
[/quote]

As you're showing it on your pic it is the way it should go.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rosgood14

Ok just to update everyone. I ensured that the Belleville washer was cone down and checked threads and everything looked good. I also added another metal washer instead of one of the old asbestos ones that I had originally tried. I ended up getting right at 35lbs of drag and I can still loosen it up just enough to kayak my baits out. So should be good to go. Thanks for all your help and expertise.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Rosgood14 on June 02, 2018, 02:55:53 PM
Ok just to update everyone. I ensured that the Belleville washer was cone down and checked threads and everything looked good. I also added another metal washer instead of one of the old asbestos ones that I had originally tried. I ended up getting right at 35lbs of drag and I can still loosen it up just enough to kayak my baits out. So should be good to go. Thanks for all your help and expertise.
When I yak baits out with Daron, he just flips the eccentric to freespool and puts the clicker on.  There's no need for the drag to be on to go out that way.
Another day in Paradise!

Rosgood14

I'll have to try it that way. I always worry about it being too lose and line getting jacked up while I'm baiting it out.

Army_of_One

Quote from: Rosgood14 on June 02, 2018, 05:55:41 PM
I'll have to try it that way. I always worry about it being too lose and line getting jacked up while I'm baiting it out.
Unless you're an absolute beast at kayaking, I don't see you moving fast enough to bird nest it.  I've never seen a problem, most of the issues we've had was with the kayak end of the line(better known as operator error  :-[ ).
Another day in Paradise!

mo65

Quote from: Rosgood14 on June 02, 2018, 05:55:41 PM

I'd think what you're doing is a good way to avoid the line jacking up, might want to just keep on "keeping on". I've been following this thread, and I had a hunch all you needed was a bit more height in the stack. Good work sorting it out, and good luck with the fishing! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Glad it's sorted out. Free spool and the clicker is the ticket. With those high drag numbers be good to set the drag with a scale and leave it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Glad the suggestion worked.
When we Kayak baits out, Robin hears the clicker as I push him off. I then turn the clicker off and thumb the spool.
I turn it back on, when the bait is set. I always have a man on the reel and a man in the Kayak.
Someone can easily walk away with your stuff when you get out there.
All our Senators are stainless double dogged and have a stainless sleeve.
Life is Good!

Rosgood14

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 02, 2018, 08:09:30 PM
When we Kayak baits out, Robin hears the clicker as I push him off. I then turn the clicker off and thumb the spool.
I turn it back on, when the bait is set. I always have a man on the reel and a man in the Kayak.

Agreed that people will run off with your stuff quick and I usually do have a friend or my wife on shore. What do you mean all your senators are stainless double dogged with a stainless sleeve.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

handi2

Quote from: Rosgood14 on June 02, 2018, 08:51:28 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 02, 2018, 08:09:30 PM

Agreed that people will run off with your stuff quick and I usually do have a friend or my wife on shore. What do you mean all your senators are stainless double dogged with a stainless sleeve.

Now you are venturing into Daron and Sal's territory. Bring your check book ;D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rosgood14

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 02, 2018, 09:01:19 PM
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15476.0

So pretty sure I already have the SS posts and how does that sleeve in he drag work exactly. Does that sleeve come with another set of drag washer cut to fit inside it or how exactly. Trying to get an idea of how it all works.

handi2

The reels handle attaches to the end of the gear sleeve. By using stainless steel its much harder or impossible for the handle to come loose and round off the end of the sleeve.

If you use a SS gear sleeve you should use SS anti reverse dogs.

If you go through Daron's link he posted you can see all the aftermarket parts he uses.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Army_of_One

Quote from: Rosgood14 on June 02, 2018, 10:50:18 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 02, 2018, 09:01:19 PM
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15476.0

So pretty sure I already have the SS posts and how does that sleeve in he drag work exactly. Does that sleeve come with another set of drag washer cut to fit inside it or how exactly. Trying to get an idea of how it all works.
Here's an example of some steel vs brass on the sleeve and dogs, and the rounded off gear sleeve that Keith was referring to.
Another day in Paradise!