Spectra?

Started by Marcq, June 08, 2018, 07:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Sorry for my ignorance but  ::) 
I often hear the word Spectra, is it some kind of braid or a brand of braid? If it is, how does it compare to Power Pro

Thanks, Marc..

wailua boy

Hopefully someone can chime in more details but I think Spectra is a braid and if im not mistaken Powerpro is made from braided Spectra.

MarkT

Spectra is what the braid is woven from.  Dyneema is very similar to Spectra and also used in braid.  PowerPro is a brand of braid.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Marcq

So Power Pro is spectra?

Marc..

philaroman

the material is PE (gel-spun polyethylene)...  originally, 2 US factories (Honeywell?) made Spectra & 1 (Dutch?) factory made Dyneema...  not sure who makes what now, or what the Chinese PE should be called

Marcq

I get it

Thanks guys, Marc..

oc1

Quote from: philaroman on June 08, 2018, 08:26:58 PM
not sure who makes what now, or what the Chinese PE should be called
It seems the Chinese usually call it dyneema.  I didn't know the Honeywell and Dutch background.  The cheap Chinese dyneema seems to hold up as well as Power Pro for me.  The dyes used to color moss green Power Pro wear off fairly quickly, but color on cheap Chinese dyneema wears off even quicker.  So quick that it comes off on your hands.
-steve

Cor

I've always understood that Dyneema and Spectra are trade names for similar fibres that are used to make Fishing Braid from and both have similar characteristics.    I the early days I preferred Dynema as I thought that was the "original" fibre but these days I no longer care.

As to the dye......it's just a messy coating that wears off the line very quickly, same as the stuff they coat it with to give it some "body"

Cornelis

sabaman1

Power Pro is considered spectra. Owned by Shimano, spun by Honeywell Industries
JIM

Rivverrat

I've not used any of the newer variations of Power Pro. The original stuff was crap... that's being nice about it... Jeff

Marcq

Well!! You learn some everyday  8)

Marc..

whalebreath

Then there's Fireline

Then Gliss.....

philaroman

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 10, 2018, 01:35:07 AM
I've not used any of the newer variations of Power Pro. The original stuff was crap... that's being nice about it... Jeff

I beg to differ...

the true ORIGINAL PP from Innovative Textiles, in plain no-frills packaging, was EXCELLENT for the price (by far, better than most 4-carrier braids)...  then, long before the Shimano buy-out, the packaging got progressively fancier, while the braiding got progressively sloppier...  at some point, there was also allegedly a huge batch of counterfeit PP on fleaBay, that pulled apart like cotton-balls

same thing happened to Spiderwire: when it was made by Safariland, it was expensive & good; when Pure Fishing bought them out, they turned it into affordable crap

in short, PE is PE -- super-thin & super-strong, straight out of the box (unless it's defective/counterfeit)
how long it stays that way, is ALL ABOUT THE BRAIDING:

• YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR -- neat, tight braiding w/ more carriers (strands) is slow, hence EXPENSIVE!
  • Spectra - fewer/thicker PE filaments; seems to lend itself better to good, affordable 4-carrier braids <60 lb.
  • Dyneema - more/thinner PE filaments; seems to lend itself better to high-end 8-carrier Super Braids <60 lb.
  • if you see 3-carrier, avoid it like the plague, esp. if it's Dyneema

Swami805

I've used power-pro for years,works fine for me. For the heavier line I use Jerry Brown,that hollow is good stuff. The one I tried that I didn't like was suffix,has no body and seemed to want to knot up. That's just me for what it's worth.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 10, 2018, 01:35:07 AM

I like and sell JB but I also use PP, give it another try.  I really like the Depth Hunter and Ace Hollow 40#.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain