Penn Torque 25 Star Drag Sale

Started by Rivverrat, June 18, 2018, 03:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Cabellas has the Penn Torque 25 Star Drag for $199.88 this is a steal for a Fantastic reel.  This reel because of its smaller spool diameter has great cranking power in the lower gears. While having the same over all capacity of the 25N.

While this is an overloked reel because of its wider spool, in my opinion its the best star drag made for it's size when cranking power is needed... Jeff

https://www.cabelas.com/product/PENN-TORQUE-STAR-DRAG/1784381.uts?productVariantId=3831931&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03863604&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ3ZBRBJEiwAtuvtlPbwCPtP-oVpySLkmQpBzfquqzt8UhnZLG0t92b5tVqt4esEhfCeZhoCbBQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

MarkT

Wow, people put more than that into tricking out a Jiggy that still wouldn't be as good as that Torque.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Mark, RIGHT !! 
This reel with the 4.8:1 low gear set will gather pretty much the same amount of line as the Jig Master 24" per crank vs the Torque 25's  25" per crank. Great reel... Jeff

FatTuna

Don't forget to type in "freeship" when you check out.

FatTuna

Btw, I just looked at the schematics to see if it would be possible to turn it into a 25n but it's not. 25n uses the 30 plates. You could turn a 25n into a 30 but it's probably not worth the cost.

Rivverrat

Quote from: FatTuna on June 18, 2018, 10:07:50 PM
Don't forget to type in "freeship" when you check out.

Right ! Good reminder... Jeff

cwillis85

There went $200 in a hurry, time to sell some reels.  ;D
Chris

Rivverrat

Quote from: cwillis85 on June 19, 2018, 12:09:37 AM
There went $200 in a hurry, time to sell some reels.  ;D

If the width doesnt bother you I think you'll realll like this reel... Jeff

cwillis85

I have big hands, width should be fine. Only down side is trying to find a 4.8 year for it. No luck last night online.
Chris

CapeFish

Just a question, why would you want to reduce the gear ratio?

Rivverrat

Quote from: CapeFish on June 19, 2018, 09:46:45 AM

Easier to turn handle with bigger fish. For a reel using live bait most people will use a slower geared reel.  Makes it much easier to gather line. It's also easier on the reel. It just isnt working as hard.

Its a smart way to go when there is no need for speed like when working fake baits... Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: cwillis85 on June 19, 2018, 09:37:45 AM
I have big hands, width should be fine. Only down side is trying to find a 4.8 year for it. No luck last night online.

The gears are no longer sold as a set / kit. You will need to order the pinion & gear from Scott's... Jeff

nelz

These don't have any kind of cast control, right?

CapeFish

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 19, 2018, 01:19:24 PM
Quote from: CapeFish on June 19, 2018, 09:46:45 AM

Easier to turn handle with bigger fish. For a reel using live bait most people will use a slower geared reel.  Makes it much easier to gather line. It's also easier on the reel. It just isnt working as hard.

Its a smart way to go when there is no need for speed like when working fake baits... Jeff

Thanks, makes sense, just never had a problem turning the handle before the drag slips, but fully understand why you need it on a tuna reel

cwillis85

Out here in Tampa, we need to low gear to muscle the grouper out of the rocks. Crank the drag up and reel as hard as you can.
Chris