Another Custom knob

Started by 54bullseye, July 12, 2018, 01:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Now first off I absolutely love Sal's knobs in fact I want one so this isn't competition this is just one I thought up and I drew up on a piece of paper and a 70 something year old friend of mine made it in his at home machine shop. I wish I had found a more colorful piece of Delrin rod but this is what I found. He made the blade part of the handle out of a high strength aluminum also the body of the knob. The stud for the knob and tube it goes through are stainless steel and it has lefty threads. Very rugged handle !!! The grip or knob is about 4 1/8" long and 1 1/4" across. The blade is about 5"overall length so 1/2" longer than stock Penn. He did a great job in my mind I was thrilled when I saw it !! If you notice the blade is thicker than original Penn so he counter sunk where the Penn nut tightens into sleeve and he made me a perfect little socket to fit the Penn nut !!! He is one talented old guy and he loves what he does !!!! Hope you like it !        John Taylor      Tap on pics to blow them up.

54bullseye

couple more pics.

steelfish

we all know its not a competition but you guys keep putting the level higher everytime

this thing is a art work, loving the socket thingy for the penn nuts
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

That is off the Chain JT.
Very Nice work there.
I picked up on that handle right away, when I saw it in the 20/0 thread,
Very Unique.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I love it!
That knob means buisness and fits the reel to a T.  Your friend is obviously quite talented.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

Wow, a one of a kind gem !!

The custom socket wrench is something we all wish we had

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Really nice John.  Do you know what kind of machine is used to make that aluminum checkering?  Can't imagine it.
-steve

mhc

Great work, another twist on the classic design very nicely machined - the socket to fit into the handle recess is pretty cool as well.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Beautiful handle John, something to be proud of.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

54bullseye

Thanks to all for the compliments ! You know how when you open up a box with a reel in it from ebay and you either go damm it I knew it didn't look quite right or you go into a big smile and in you head you say yes yes !!!  Well yes yes was in my head when I picked up the handle from Rollie my machinist !!  He doesn't fish and even he was excited when he showed it to me.

Steve :  He does the knurling on his lathe with a neat little tool/bit with two rollers on it that he just runs in a few thousands at a time and I think he said it was about 15 thousands deep. When he finishes the knurling the lines run out on the edges some and it looks a little sloppy so he cuts a small "wedding band" I will call it or radius on either side which really cleans it up and makes it pop ! He is amazing to watch.    

And Ted and Mike the little Penn socket was a surprise he made that so not to scratch up the handle blade while tightening up the Penn bolt. A nice touch.    Thanks !!    John Taylor

54bullseye

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 12, 2018, 09:42:57 AM
Beautiful handle John, something to be proud of.

Sal

Thanks Sal but yours are every bit as nice and you made yours all your self ! Mine I dreamed up but my buddy Rollie made it.  Thanks   John

droppedit

The pictures are great but to really see the quality you have to hold it. Simply incredible! I'm hoping I do not have to wait too long to see one of Sal's handles.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

AC49

A thing of BEAUTY !! Excellent job with the detail  ;D

gstours

Thanks for the pictures,  wow🤔 you just raised the bar again on custom knobs.   There's lots of talent and love for fishing out there.   Serious talent..🐟

xjchad

Awesome!  I love the handle nut wrench too!  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman