Avet STAR DRAG Reels

Started by ez2cdave, July 16, 2018, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RUSTY OLD COLT

My local shop has the MXL Avet in stock looks and feels nicely made ,  I am going to wait for the narrow version MXJ to come in and purchase one and give it a workout .

Donnyboat

Hi Mike thank you for that, It took some time for the pics to come through, by the time I read the text, they were there, nice & clear, thanks again, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rivverrat

The anti reverse appears to be of a stronger design than with my favored Penn Torques. The anti reverse on the Torque star drags is their weak link.  All my Torques are in need of AR bearing replacement... Jeff  

jurelometer

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 12, 2020, 02:37:51 AM
The anti reverse appears to be of a stronger design with my favored Penn Torques. The anti reverse on the Torque star drags is their weak link.  All my Torques are in need of AR bearing replacement... Jeff   

I like the design too from a strength perspective.  It looks like the outer diameter of the dog acts as the radial load surface and the recess into the frame acts as a bushing.   This design creates an opportunity to have a strong dog that will not get pushed out of place, but from a wear perspective, it is kind of sketchy.   In  Avet's defense, with a silent dog, it does not get much of a rotational workout.

If I had to make a wager on the area that would fail first (besides the one-way bearing), it would be somewhere around the pinion.  That floating pinion shaft design  (like all of them) does not look that robust.  The reel might perform plenty well, but my bet would be this is the area that would go if the reel was pushed too hard. Something has to give eventually if there is enough drag.

Overall though, just by looking at photos and reviews of the internals,  I would plunk down my cash for for an Avet Star before an Accurate Tern.   But I would still prefer a TLD star.

Curious as to what you are seeing on the Torques, since they have backup dogs.  What is is the behavior when the one-way bearing fails?  Is it just slipping until the dogs engage, or worse?

-J

Rivverrat

J, I have always appreciated your thoughts.

I can say from my experience my thoughts agree with yours. I would purchase this reel before I would the Tern.

On my Torques now understand I have pushed these reels.  Drag levels above 15 lbs. are common. So whats happening is  with reel engaged & now with only 10 lbs. of drag, when you pull line the the spool rotates backwards until the dogs are engaged. I have also thought the stub shaft that disconnect the pinion would be problematic in some cases but have never experienced this my self.

The Torque star drag models are not designed to rely on the dogs. They cant, long term because the studs for the dogs are mounted in reverse on a thin plate.  This design is said to be stronger. Until some one can explain how this is. I dont believe at this time it is stronger than mounting all internal lock work directly to the side plate.

EDIT: Forgot to add, there is peening of some metal on this new plate design used on the Torques. I'll start another thread when I have time & show wear & tear on my Torques

I originally thought Penn may have made use of an AR bearing as a designed failure point. But this doesn't  makes sense. With the dogs, studs & rachet being of a weak design there was no choice but to make use of an AR bearing.

The Torques do fine with 40 line & 50. But if you fish your 50 heavy you will destroy the AR bearing.

As I learn more I have come to look away from any reel with an AR bearing that will be used with more than 40 line. Which makes up a large majority of the reels I use. However the Avet here is a bit different.

As of now all my reels needing performance levels above that using 40 line will be lever drags. Which is where the market pushes us... Jeff

Rivverrat

I have become intrigued with this reel. I will get one as soon as able. I'll wait just a bit prior to purchase for some real use feedback.

The internals, price make this reel worthy of giving it a go.

mike1010

When reassembling the head plate of one of these reels, beware the IAR roller clutch.  It is not the kind with the roller springs molded in plastic.  Instead, there are small steel springs carried in a plastic insert.  It is surprisingly easy to dislodge this insert when fitting the IAR collar into the clutch, at which point all the tiny clutch parts fly around the room and laugh at you.  There is no reassembling the pieces, at least for the hack hobbyist.  I've been through this grief twice.  The safe thing I have found is to insert the IAR collar from the outside after screwing the head plate to the frame.  Finesse the collar into the clutch and then the collar ears into the top drag washer slots.

Also, a correction to my original breakdown of the reel:  The unused hole in the AR dog is not an engineering change.  The dog is shared with the G2 SX and, I assume the G2 MX.  There the hole is used.  I will make the change in place as well as note it here.

Mike

ez2cdave

Quote from: mike1010 on February 14, 2021, 08:57:20 PM
When reassembling the head plate of one of these reels, beware the IAR roller clutch.  It is not the kind with the roller springs molded in plastic.  Instead, there are small steel springs carried in a plastic insert.  It is surprisingly easy to dislodge this insert when fitting the IAR collar into the clutch, at which point all the tiny clutch parts fly around the room and laugh at you.  There is no reassembling the pieces, at least for the hack hobbyist.  I've been through this grief twice.  The safe thing I have found is to insert the IAR collar from the outside after screwing the head plate to the frame.  Finesse the collar into the clutch and then the collar ears into the top drag washer slots.

Also, a correction to my original breakdown of the reel:  The unused hole in the AR dog is not an engineering change.  The dog is shared with the G2 SX and, I assume the G2 MX.  There the hole is used.  I will make the change in place as well as note it here.

Mike

Mike,

It would be great if you could do a thread and post photo's of the disassembly / re-assembly process !

Dave

ez2cdave

Well, I'm STILL HERE . . . BORED, but STILL HERE !

https://charkbait.com/product/avet-mxl-star-drag-reels/

Tight Lines !