Resurrecting the 5000C

Started by mo65, August 28, 2018, 05:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I thought that was an early 1970's model until the subject of the main gear came up.  What's the serial number on the foot Mike?  Thanks for showing.
-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on August 30, 2018, 10:46:51 AM
I thought that was an early 1970's model until the subject of the main gear came up.  What's the serial number on the foot Mike?  Thanks for showing.
-steve

I believe it is early '70s Steve...731002...isn't that October of '73?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Wow.  Twin brothers separated at birth.  Bought new in 1973 after someone swiped my red 5000 out of the car.  Now I'm going to have to open it to make sure that gear is brass.  Sorry about the crappy photos.

-steve

mo65

Twins indeed! It even appears to have the same green mono on it. No wait...I remember you saying you used braid on your reels. You'll have to clean the gear to see what material it is...the grease is camouflaging the gear. I'd go ahead and give it the once over while it's apart. Mine sat around in a drawer so long I forgot what a great fishing reel these little guys are. I ordered some new line for mine, kind of excited about taking it to the river. 8)

oc1

I'm embarrassed that I've had this gear in my hand at least a dozen  times and never noticed what it is made of.  It's strongly magnetic.

The weight is 9.1 grams with about 1.27 cubic centimeters of volume so the density is about 7.12 grams/cubic centimeters.

Knowing that it's corrosion resistant, magnetic and the density, I though it would be easy to figure out exactly what the alloy is.  Not so.  There may be too many possibilities.
-steve

mhc

That's interesting Steve, like I said earlier, I thought they were all brass mains in the older round ABUs. The main magnetic metals are iron/steel, nickel and cobalt but they are all heavier than 7.2 g/cm3. Steel is around 7.8 - 8.0 and nickel and cobalt are both around 8.9 - given the complexity of the shape, your observations are in the ball park for some type of steel.....I think. ???

Mike, you've raised a couple of questions for me with this thread - the main gear and the tiny handle knobs. To me at least they looked out of place on the beveled side plates , they look more like the earlier handles, see photos below of an old 2000 and a 5600C with beveled plates. I just assumed it was a mismatch until Steve posted the photo of the twin reel with the same handles - it seems I was wrong yet again.  :)

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

The handles on all those transitional reels with the white plastic spacers are similar or identical to handles on the early red 5000.  When the black 5000C came out the knobs became pearl color instead of ivory color.  A red counterbalance handle with paddle shaped knob became an available option pretty early; I think before they switched from four-screw to three-screw.  They were calling it a power handle until they came out with the longer blade with fat knobs.

I get nervous talking about ABU because the history is confusing, but also very well documented.  There's a lot of stuff to remember.
-steve

mo65

Well kick the dog and spit in the fire...that magnet hanging on the side of the gear has me perplexed. Granted, I never tested my gear for material type, but it just plain looked aluminum. My gear has that shiny white/silver look of aluminum...where Steve's has some spotting that makes it appear more like this steel gear pictured from an earlier 5000. It is easily identified as steel...it looks like steel. I have a hard time believing Steve and I have different gears...everything else on the reels is identical. Is that some kind of plating that has come off his more than mine? I hope someone can shed more light on this. Thanks for posting Steve. 8)

nelz

mo65

Quote from: nelz on August 31, 2018, 03:56:34 PM
Just do the magnet test Mo!

My reel is all buttoned up man! I stuck a magnet on the side plate...but it fell off. ;)

mo65

Here's the reason I didn't want to take my reel back apart, my gold Stren came in the mail this morning! Check it out John(Thorhammer), your favorite classic mono. Now I'm really stoked to fish this reel. I think in a week or so I'm going over to my brothers place and get in some time on the river. 8)

nelz

Sweeet little reels, and all you need for fresh water. The exploratory surgery can wait!  ;D

Reel 224

Mike: You look as purdy in cutoffs as I do! ;) ;D ;D Nice reel bro.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

happyhooker

The 5001 is the same reel with LH wind (I think), but have been told it was made with stronger internal parts.  Any truth to that?

Frank

thorhammer

Quote from: mo65 on August 31, 2018, 07:45:28 PM
   Here's the reason I didn't want to take my reel back apart, my gold Stren came in the mail this morning! Check it out John(Thorhammer), your favorite classic mono. Now I'm really stoked to fish this reel. I think in a week or so I'm going over to my brothers place and get in some time on the river. 8)

AWESOME